“Fabulous view of the Arno!”

The Westin Excelsior Florence
Ranked #29 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 3 August 2009

We stayed for at the Westin Excelsior during the time of July 25-28.

The Westin Excelsior was not my first choice. As an American Express Platinum member, I originally booked at the Grand Hotel Florence, but a couple days before we left for Italy, they contacted my Amex agent to say that the Grand Hotel will be shutting down during the time of my stay, so they transferred my reservation to the Westin.

I am SO glad I got the chance to stay at the Westin!!!!!

::ARRIVAL::

First of all, the hotel was even more gorgeous than I anticipated with amazing service to boot. Right when we arrived, the doorman swooped in to greet us so warmly and take our (very many!) bags. We were taken to our fabulous room and shown all the features in it as well. Our bags arrived not even two minutes after she left. All in all, the check in process could not have been more pleasant, fluid and stress-free.

::THE ROOM::

We originally booked a river-facing room, but we were hoping that it being our anniversary would get us an upgrade. It didn’t happen, but our room was so gorgeous and huge anyway that I didn’t care! It contained an oh-so-comfortable king-sized bed with beautiful linens, two nightstands, a bureau, a closet, a desk with a chair, two chairs in front of the bed, a coffee table and a couch, but my fiancé and I still had plenty of room to run around and not smack into each other. The floor-to-ceiling windows emphasized the 20-foot ceilings and the curtains on them were thick and heavy so that it easily made the room pitch black no matter what time of day. The room also came with a little balcony, which allowed for leisurely enjoyment in viewing the Arno or those who strolled along the river. If this room is one of their “lesser” rooms, I can’t even imagine what their suites are like!

The bathroom wasn’t the largest, but it was comfortable. It was covered in marble and contained a sink with ample counter space, a toilet, bidet and a shower/tub. I did find it odd, however, that if you were sitting on the toilet, you had to twist your body so far to get some tissue. We also smacked our leg so many times trying to hoist ourselves into the tub that was so very high. The blow dryer is pretty weak as well, but that’s the case in most hotels, so I wasn’t too bothered. Aside from those three (minor) complaints, I loved the shower! The double shower heads were heavenly and the warm water never spurted into cold or hot bursts (as is common in old establishments). I was also happy that they gave actual *bath* towels, as in towels that are big enough to cover most of your body. They also provided robes, and a decent amenity kit (shower cap, soap, decent shampoo and conditioner, lotion, q-tips, cotton balls, emery board, etc.).

::SERVICE::

The service at the hotel was just impeccable. As I previously mentioned, the check in process and luggage delivery was pleasant and efficient. Our delicious breakfast arrived on a beautiful table complete with a fresh orchid. The concierge provided us with a walking map and helped us locate anything and everything we could possibly be looking for. Due to the fabulous location of the hotel, we only needed a ride once (when leaving) and it was easy and pretty fast.

::PROS::
-Excellent location! The major attractions are just a quick walk away and there are many delicious cafes and restaurants just a few paces away.
-Clean, gorgeous
-Warm and courteous service, from the doorman to the front desk to the concierge to the bartender. :)
-Deluxe room was HUGE, with beautiful fabrics and antique furniture
-Fabulously comfortable bed
-VERY accommodating staff whom most speak English
-Provided a bottle of water for us every night
-Decent mini-bar
-Awesome river view!!! It’s absolutely beautiful in the mornings.
-Provided robes, big bath towels, and great amenity kit
-Breakfast was covered by American Express Platinum (transfer of benefits from Grand Hotel Florence)
-They offer in-room massage!
-For all you runners out there, they include a running map!

::CONS::
-The room got very warm at night, even though we had the air conditioning at full blast at its coldest
-The tub was elevated, so the walls of the tub were pretty high; we hit our legs on it many times trying to climb in to shower.
-Traffic noise from the street

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dodger15
Write a ReviewReviews (1,660)

Reviewed 31 July 2009

I stayed at this hotel recently with friends and was quite impressed. The hotel has a great location right beside the river and has nice rooms. The beds and showers are so nice to come back to after a hot, humid day. I am actually sitting in the lobby on the free internet service writing this before I leave tomorrow! Some good things must come to an end. I highly reocommed this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 July 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Westin Excelsior in Florence in June of 2009. We originally used Starwoods points to book our stay. The staff at the hotel is fantastic. The entire time we were there they tried to accommodate our every request. They even upgraded us to a better room twice! The suites overlooking the Arno are absolutely stunning. The room itself is huge and the view is just perfect. Definitely book a suite if you can. The concierge staff was also outstanding. Their dinner recommendations were always spot on, and they even directed us to a wonderful Enoteca (Enoteca Alessi) to purchase wine. They will also help you ship the wine back to the States if that's what you want to do. This was, without a doubt, one of our favorite hotels during our trip to Italy, and if we return to Florence we would most definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2009

This place really has the whole "package"...location, aesthetics, service, and great food.

My wife and I stayed one night, then had a 3 day bike tour of Tuscany, then one more night at the Westin. The concierge, bellmen and front desk folks were uniformly pleasant and efficient. The concierge gave us great advice on a wine shop as well dinner suggestions. One of the concierges was also a cycling enthusiast and was very interested to know where we were going and wanted to hear about it when we got back. The restaurant is very elegant and formal. There was a very attentive "manager" of the restaurant (wish I was better at jotting names down...but you'll know who I'm talking about, short, thin woman with short, blonde hair) who was so good and such a perfectionist. We had a cocktail at the Grand (another Starwood directly across the square), and it was very nice, but I liked the Westin better. Also, every evening, this and other Westins have an "unWind", I think it runs from 5:00-7:00 p.m. There were some really excellent salumi, cheeses and other food available (complimentary). For both stays we had spacious rooms that faced the Arno. Upon checkout, I asked the bellman if I could park the rental car I was about to get (at EuropCar, about 2 blocks away) in the drive for a few minutes while I got our luggage. He said it was no problem, but he wanted me to make sure I grabbed him when I brought it there so he could jot down my license number so he could "fix" the ticket that I would certainly get due to driving into the "congestion" area of Florence (he said it's a 100 euro ticket). Keep this in mind if doing the same thing.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aj_stl
Reviewed 17 July 2009

My wife and I stayed in the Westin Excelsior in Florence after a couple of days in Venice. We used the cash and points option from SPG. The facility and the staff are top notch. We happened to be there when the President of China was there and the staff apologized for not giving us a better room. The fact is that the room was spacious and had a great view of the river. The facility itself is beautiful and in a great location. A lot of other reviews said that they used starwood points which I do not think is worth it. If yu are an SPG member, I believe for 23 euros you got a great buffet breakfast and one hour of internet. If you use points, it was 2250. The breakfast was definitely worth the 23 euro.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kbm12345
Reviewed 5 July 2009

I spent three glorious nights in this hotel, from the outset the service was second to none, I E mailed from home and requested certain items were placed in my room, these were all complied with, we were greeted with a friendly welcome and shown to our room...wow..what a view, overlooking the river and the old part of Florence, I loved sipping my wine on teh balcony. The breakfast was lovely, it costs 24 euros, which on the face of it seemed quite expensive but in comparrison to other establishments it was not really. They are doing some work at the top of the hotel, making a new restaurant, I can only imiagine how lovely that is going to be. We did have a problem with a fire alarm as there was a torential storm...in Italy? Not the hotels fault, they can`t determine the weather, but they went over and above to ensure that we were not too inconvenienced by this slight glitch. I would not want to stay anywhere else, when I next return to my first love..Florence.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bobstergirl
Reviewed 29 June 2009

I arrived at 11 am and got my room immediately. The concierge arranged museum reservations for that afternoon.. at a premium but well worth avoiding the hassle of long lines. The hotel is beautiful, staff and room outstanding. Despite the decor this hotel felt a bit less European than I expected.. somehow there was a business or American element to it that I did not expect.. maybe all the starwood guests like me!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo