“Huge Rooms!”

Ranked #23 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Canada
“Huge Rooms!”
Reviewed 8 February 2011

Unfortunately my mother and I were only in town for 1 night but here are a few observations about the hotel as well as Florence in general.

Before we even arrived in Italy, I had been emailing the hotel on a regular basis just to find out more information about Florence as we were on a very short time frame and wanted to maximize our time. I have never received better help from a hotel then I did from the The Westin Excelsior Florence. Through their front desk I was able to book not only our train ticket to Rome, but I pre-booked our tickets to the Uffuzi Museum as well as booked us spots on a Tuscan wine tour. I very much appreciated their help.

The room itself was absolutely huge! I think even for North American Standards as well. The hotel itself is situated right alongside the Orno River and is very close to the main attractractions (Uffuzi Museum, Santa Maria Church, the train station). We did not use a lot of the hotel facilities to be honest (any of the restaurants etc) but did frequent the gelato place down the street haha.

This place was pricy although we got a good deal as Starwood Hotels had a special on in the summer. If it were not on sale I am not sure if we would have stayed there to be honest- it was very pricy. But worth it...

A few things about Florence- it is stunning and full of history. I wish we got to stay longer! I highly recommend checking out a museum and the shopping, as well take a day trip to Pisa and check out a wine tour if you can. The wine tour was one of the highlights of my Italy trip for sure!

• Stayed September 2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Orlando
Reviewed 30 January 2011

Just wanted to write a quick review of our 4 night stay at the Westin Excelsior. We have been coming to this hotel for many years and this year was no different. Apon walking into the beautiful lobby we were greeted by our friend Massimo (the head concierge) and the front desk young lady Costanza(sp). Costanza greeted us by name before we even got to the desk, checked us in quickly and escorted us up to our upgreaded rrom a junior suite on the 4th floor overlooking the Arno. The room was beautiful and well appointed, the bathroom was large and the bed was very comfortable. We noticed over the few days there that the room seemed very quiet compared to previous visits and it must be because of less traffic and different traffic paterns in Florence. We had breakfast included in our room rate and what a wonderful buffet it was, you can get anything form cold to hot even french toast. We even had mimossas's every morning since our breakfast was usually fruit and coffee(we saved our appitites for lunch and dinner).
A few weeks before our arrival we e-mailed Massimo to make some didnig reservations for us and everything was taken care of prior to our arrival. We went to many of our favorites, Camillo,Pennelo,Giovani, Omero and Quatro Leoni. We tried one new restaurant on this trip the concierge suggested (100 poor people the english translation) it was wonderful and close to the hotel.
Many reviews say this hotel is far from the main tourist spots and that just isn't so it is about a 10 minute walk to Piazza Rupulica and the Duomo. After eating all the wonderful food part of the Florence charm is just strolling down the streets on your way back to the hotel.

1 Thank rwdtom
Haddonfield, NJ
Reviewed 24 January 2011

We had a great stay here. Got upgraded to an Arno river view room, the largest on the 2nd floor. Terrific views up and down the Arno, including of the Ponte Vecchio, from our balcony. Incredibly comfortable Westin Heavenly Bed, great big bathroom, excellent service from the concierge and in the restaurants. I doubt we will ever stay anywhere else in Florence when we return. (My wife would shoot me if I did not get her that Arno river view again.)

1 Thank djlawman
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 14 January 2011

We spent four nights here. Although the room was a bit small it was well appointed with a good bathroom. The service was excellent with special thanks to Marcello at the desk who exhibited the height of professionalism while still being friendly and gracious, the kind of service that makes you feel at home in a formal setting. The barmen in the Orvm lounge were all excellent. We ate there several times and there was a very good pianist/singer who played in the evening.
Everyone spoke impeccable English and were always asking if there was anything that we needed.
The location, right on the Arno, was excellent, close to everything but just out of the tangle of tourists.
The room was a bit warm and necessitated opening the window in spite of turning the heat off. We were on an inner courtyard so it was still very quiet.
The stay there was lovely and Florence is wonderful at that time of year.
I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 9 January 2011

What is most remarkable about the Westin is the level of service by all the staff, which reminded me of Four Seasons hotels we have stayed at. After our luggage was stranded in Zurich, the front desk staff and concierge insured the we had all the toiletries we needed and continuously followed up with both the airline and airport until our luggage was finally delivered the next day. The concierge was also in touch with us by email prior to our arrival to arrange a car service and tickets to all the major museums. We were welcomed by name each time we returned to the hotel, and even the lounge/restaurant staff remembered our preferences. While we were a little disappointed by our first room given my husband's SPG Platinum status, the front desk remedied this by showing us 3 other room options. While the hotel had modern comforts, I personally loved the old world feel of the common areas and rooms. The location of the hotel is right on the Arno and easy walking distance to the Duomo, Uffizzi, and Ponte Vecchio.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rach727
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 9 January 2011

When I booked the Westin Excelsior in Florence, I expected it would be a top-notch 5-star hotel as the Westin chain usually is. However, during my stay, there were a few disappointing factors:

1) There is no ironing board in the room. Normally this is to save space, but one can be obtained on request. Here, they refuse to provide one, and insist that you pay the exorbitant price for the hotel to press your clothes for you. I have never encountered this at a 5-star hotel before.

2) Similarly to point 1, there is no kettle in the room. This is allegedly for "safety reasons". Whilst they were prepared to bring hot water to the room, no tea bags were provided, as is customary even in very basic motel rooms, both in urban and remote areas. This is essentially a scam to get you to pay 6 euros for tea from room service.

3) The room was overheated, as other reviewers have recently noted.

Nonetheless, the location is great and the concierge quite helpful. But I'm not sure whether I would return.

• Stayed January 2011
2 Thank georgereid
Los Angeles
Reviewed 8 January 2011

We just got back from Florence and we had a wonderful stay at the Westin. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Florence. The staff was friendly, the lobby/bar was wonderful and the location was great! It is located next to the river and is easy to find. When we arrived, we were able to walk from the train station to the hotel and then walk to any tourist location. Every night we would sit in the lobby bar and there was always live piano music. The rooms were very large for European standards. The only bad thing was that room got very warm at night; we solved that problem by cracking our window when we slept. It was just a great hotel!

1 Thank chrisaWeiss