“Surprisingly very good museum, excellent compliment to our Uffizi visit.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Museo Galileo - Institute and Museum of the History of Science

Ranked #30 of 425 things to do in Florence
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Housed in an old palace that was restored in the mid-1800s, this science museum houses an impressive collection of scientific instruments dating from the 13th century.
Hong Kong, China
3,419 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11,299 helpful votes
“Surprisingly very good museum, excellent compliment to our Uffizi visit.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

The Museo di Storia della Scienza (Museum of the History of Science), located on the bank of the Arno River, just past and behind the Uffizi Museum, was a real treat. Having visited the major museums and church attractions on previous trips, this was our first visit to this museum. To our great surprise, this museum was an absolute gem, the top 'Wow' experience in Florence this time around.

We visited expecting this to be just an average experience, similar to the Di Vinci Museums (exhibits) that have popped up all over Italy. Instead, we were treated to a world-class display of historical artifacts and items of scientific nature. There was so much to enjoy and learn about. Thankfully, they do let you take pictures here as well.

We enjoyed so many of the displays and scientific instruments within this museum. Some of the highlights include the amazing globe room, filled with large globes from the 16th and 17th century as well as the 1459 map of the world that is so interesting to look at. We spent probably 15 minutes scanning this map trying to locate various countries and regions. It was a real highlight for us, surely something to be enjoyed by anyone interested in maps (or traveling).

This museum also housed some fantastic scientific instruments that much amused us. We enjoyed seeing the early 17th century calculators, early thermometers, microscopes, telescopes, compasses, physics experimentation on momentum and slopes (which came with some videos for explanation) and early home science kits that were sold to private homes in centuries past. The collection was really something else.

We also felt the displays were child-friendly, something not easily found in museums. Children seemed to be having a very good time looking at the many interesting gadgets and what must have seemed like ancient toys to them.

Overall, we were just thrilled with the Galileo Science Museum and will put it near the very top of our list for a repeat visit when we return to Florence next time. It was one of those big surprises for us during our recent trip.

Hint: We suggest visiting the Galileo Science Museum along with the Uffizi Museum, collectively. This way you can mix art and science, seeing what the Uffizi houses today in the form of art and what it housed in the past in the form of scientific instruments and devices for experimentation. Together, we felt these two museums, complimented each other very well and made a great way to spend a few hours.

5 Thank BradJill

• Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Huntington Beach, California
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Interesting - Good for a quick visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

The museum is very interesting and educational. It's organization is not as intuitive as one might like but the exhibits are informative and show the breadth of Galileo's interests. We spent maybe 1 - 1 1/2 hours here...

Visited September 2011
London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Totally beat all expectations - my favourite museum in the world!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

If you enjoyed Bill Bryson's "A short history of nearly everything" then GO OUT OF YOUR WAY TO SEE THIS!

I was mildly interested from what I'd read and so wandered away from my girlfriend to spend an hour or so on my own and almost immediately wished I'd convinced her to come with me!

Very well laid out and not just incredibly informative but at times mind blowing in terms of appreciating time scales on what was "known" when, and the original artifacts they have there.

I would go back there again without a doubt, even if it meant missing out on other sights!

It was a few years ago so I can't remember a lot of the specific details below but I can tell you that you won't care about all the superfluous stuff! ;o)

Visited April 2011
pequannock, New Jersey, USA
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Stumbled upon it but happy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

I wasn't looking for this musuem but I just happened to pass by it after I finished up with the Uffizi. I wanted to go into Palazzo Vecchio for a tour but I didn't realize they closed early so I decided to try this place out. If you are looking for a change of pace from the artwork and churches this is great place to escape. However if you're not really into science then this isn't the place to be. I did the audio guide which was kind of neat because it has a screen on it so you can select several different historical items in a room. It had a gps on it because it would highlight the room when you went into a new one. This was a new one for me and I enjoyed it and wished more museums would employ this system.

Overall it was a good museum, one floor focused on Galileo and using the stars for navigation. The second floor was a bit more rounded in terms of science, which early chemistry chests to medical things. I liked the museum because I am into science but my wife would have probably been bored. I would recommend to others.

Qingdao, China
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“A good change of artwork and cathedrals”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

If you are into more mechanical things, science, exploration, etc, this is a great must-see. The entry fee was reasonable and a lot of interesting artifacts to see. Of course, the highlight is the collection of two of Galileo's telescopes AND his middle finger (in a jar)! It's right next to the Uffizi so it's easy to stop in. You can also take pictures inside which was nice, too.

Visited February 2012

Travellers who viewed Museo Galileo - Institute and Museum of the History of Science also viewed

Florence, Province of Florence

Been to Museo Galileo - Institute and Museum of the History of Science? Share your experiences!