“A must see”

Ranked #29 of 657 things to do in Florence
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Housed in the Palazzo del Podesta (1255 AD) as the residence of Florence's chief magistrate, this museum houses an unrivalled collection of Italian Renaissance sculpture..
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We were staying at the B&B across the way, our hostess recommend we stop by, and so glad we did. What a quiet, interesting Museum, small crowds, a must see

Write a ReviewReviews (2,566)
All reviews
in 120 reviews
"bronze"
in 98 reviews

Reviewed 6 June 2014

We really liked this museum, well organized and with a large inventory of sculptures and war garments. Beautiful hand crafts and miniatures. It is a large museum and they have an exhibit area that is reserved for a season. At this time they have the Baccio Bandinelli collection.(Scultore e Maestro 1493- 1560)

1  Thank 27Ruben27
Reviewed 4 June 2014

The Bargello, also known as the Bargello Palace, Museo Nazionale del Bargello, or Palazzo del Popolo (Palace of the People) is a former barracks and prison, now an art museum, in Florence, Italy. The word "bargello" appears to come from the late Latin bargillus (from Goth bargi and German burg), meaning "castle" or "fortified tower". During the Italian Middle Ages it was the name given to a military captain in charge of keeping peace and justice (hence "Captain of justice") during riots and uproars. In Florence he was usually hired from a foreign city to prevent any appearance of favoritism on the part of the Captain. The position could be compared with that of a current Chief of police. The name Bargello was extended to the building which was the office of the captain. Construction began in 1255. The palace was built to house first the Capitano del Popolo and later, in 1261, the 'podestà', the highest magistrate of the Florence City Council. This Palazzo del Podestà, as it was originally called, is the oldest public building in Florence. The special treat for me was to discover the place that had been in one of my grandmother's photos taken apparently before WWI so I felt a special connection to the building where she had been. The collection inside is interesting and varied.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We had the opportunity to visit this museum and paid full ticket prices to do so. Upon entering through the gift shop I asked about guide books. They handed me a big one at which point I asked if there was a smaller one (concerned about luggage weight). The woman on the cash said no. So I bought it. No sooner had I paid for it when I saw a smaller one. Not sure why they never showed me it when I asked originally. I asked the cashier if I could change it at which time she bluntly blurted out "no".

After viewing the 2/3 of the museum we were in search of the other 1/3. We were then told that it was closed. We pursued asking why we paid full price when 1/3 of the museum was closed but were met with hostility and arrogance at their office. I did lodge a written complaint as they told me to as the office. I asked for a response to my complaint but it is now many weeks later and we have never heard from them.

The 2/3 of the museum we were able to view were good. Warning to tourists - Beware of tiny signs posted off to the right of the ticket cashier that may say parts of it are closed as they certainly will not tell you when you buy your ticket like many other sites do. Not all, but most of the staff are not much help and their English is limited. We asked a number of their staff questions about items in the room they were working in and they knew absolutely nothing. This is odd from what I have experienced in other museums/galleries around the world.

1  Thank Mauchoman