“Peaceful, clean, welcoming, friendly, safe!”
Review of Hotel Casci

Hotel Casci
Ranked #51 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I had stayed here eight years earlier and was happy to return this December. The same family is still taking great care of their guests and their lovely hotel.

The elevator is great and the rooms are spacious and clean. I loved the location and the abundant breakfast with a smile! Wifi was a bonus too!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank DominoVivien
Write a ReviewReviews (2,838)

Reviewed 18 December 2013

These people just get it! Hospitality is top notch and the location is central to everything. Stepping out the front door on Via Cavour gives you a view of the Duomo and a quick right turn to San Lorenzo Market.

I chose this location after a lot of research. I spent a semester in Florence years ago and knew I wanted to be in the city center and have great comfort so I could relive it all feeling like I was in my old apartment. And you can never be too sure what you will actually get when booking a European hotel online. Let me assure you – this place is everything lovely like they say it is.

Perks:
Location – like I said, it’s central to everything. The Duomo is practically outside the front door. 5-7 minute walk to train station as well.

Hospitality – Family owned and run. There is someone on staff 24/7 and always willing to help. They made dinner and tour reservations for us and gave us travelers tips. Always asking how we are, what they can do for us, etc. They just understand what it truly means to be hospitable.

Full Breakfast – Every morning they have a nice breakfast spread. It’s better than most European hotels and hostels I’ve traveled with. Classic Italian biscuits and savory/sweet breads, cereals, yogurt, granola, hard boiled eggs, fruit, toast, juices and full coffee/cappuccino bar as well. We missed breakfast once or twice due to late nights and travel but that didn’t stop the staff from making sure we didn’t go hungry. The mother made sure we grabbed something for the road or simply wouldn't charge us for our cappuccinos after we had missed the period of time where it’s all complimentary.

Rooms – One of my must haves was a private bathroom. No sharing or public bathroom for me! I traveled with my mother and sister so we each had a twin bed in a cozy room with private bathroom. There was a nice big closet so we could all unpack our bags and plenty of shelf space as well. TV with a couple American news channels and plenty of other international ones as well. Bathroom had a real tub/shower (some hotels I have been to have a drain in the floor with a shower head). Room service cleaned the rooms every single day – changed the sheets, fresh towels, scrubbed and all. It always looked and felt clean. Occasionally the heat was too high or too low but you can adjust yourself. They even have a list in each room of how to control everything around you.

Convenience – They have a computer for all to use in the lobby. I used it to look up train schedules and check email. They offer a variety of cold beverages to purchase in their lobby – much easier than running across the street or remembering to buy water bottles on your way in. There’s a small “library” of books traded and left behind by guests. My mother went through 3 of them during our stay. As I mentioned earlier, there is always someone at the front desk for you. We got to know the family and Pierre and we’re so happy we didn’t bring our business elsewhere.

Value – I still think we got a great deal for what we received. For the location alone they could charge much more than they do. Plus, add all the other amenities and hospitality on top of that – it’s a great deal and I feel our money went a long way here.

In General – the hotel is rustic and comfortable. They have a lift to get your luggage up to the 2nd floor where the hotel main entrance is located. You enter into the lobby area with front desk and dining areas. One night we were tired of eating out so we bought bread, mozzarella, pesto, etc. from the market and ate it right in the dining area of the hotel while chatting with the family. It was so nice to feel that comfort – like we could sit there all day and they would be happy to have us.

After my mother, sister and I left, my father came the following week (my brother was studying in Florence for the semester). We reserved his room before we event left. He had the same grateful experience as we did. Next time we visit Florence we will definitely be staying at Hotel Casci.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Victoria724
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Although this hotel has a 2 star designation, & price, Mom and I think it should have a way higher designation! The family is excellent in looking after their hotel and their guests. It’s clean, welcoming & in a central location. Breakfasts were wonderful with lots to choose from and hot cappuccinos delivered right to your table. Our room was a good size with a very large bathroom, a mini fridge, safe and free wi-fi (for those of us who can’t do without it).
They were always helpful with directions, tour tickets for the museums, suggestions for dinner or sights to see – especially for directions to the FedEx office so we could ship our leather goods home!

The location was 5 minutes from the San Lorenzo leather market – you have got to go there but know you won’t be able to leave without buying something in leather – coat, purse, belt …
Duomo, the center of Florence and Ponte Vecchio were an easy walk from the hotel.

Don’t be put off when you’re trying to find the reception desk – come in the front door and use the elevator to go to the 2nd floor. The hotel is located inside 2 15th century palaces but our room was in the rear part which was a convent. Very charming with a maze of hallways and very quiet especially considering it was right in the heart of Florence.

Many thanks to the Lombardi family for making our stay in Florence feel like we were at home.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank CanadianKatnip
Reviewed 10 December 2013

On Via Cavour in the heart of Florence, makes this an unbeatable hotel. This small hotel is on the 2nd floor of a building (accessible by lift),and is only a 15 minute walk at best from the train station and 5 minute walk to the Duomo. I had returned to Florence after having lived here for a couple of months, for a 2 night stay. I was not disappointed by the hospitality of the family that runs this hotel or by the comfort of its rooms. I had a single room for 50 euros per night with a nice breakfast. My room was ensuite with a desk and small balcony overlooking a quiet courtyard. You can tell the owners really care about their guests by the comfort of the rooms. I would definitely stay here again if my travels take met to Firenze again. Great value, unbeatable location, clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: If you are single traveler, ask for room 8, quiet, ensuite, had a balcony also.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2013

This is small, family-run hotel with few frills but it has the important things right. Unbeatable location (the train station and major places of interest are all within 10 minutes walking distance), very pleasant and helpful service, clean room, modern bathroom, good and quiet sleep, good heating/running hot water (important in winter!), and nice breakfast.
It's on the second floor of an old buidling and is accessible by an old-fashioned lift. The breakfast area has a frescoed ceiling.
Breakfast is the only meal that is served in this hotel and there are no in-room tea/coffee making facilities. However, with eating places a dime a dozen all around, you'll be spoilt for choice.
Good value for money.
One comment about all the rooms we had in this trip (in Rome, Florence and Milan) is that they did not have latches to secure the room door from the inside - this latch is a common feature of good hotels in this part of the world (the Far East, including Malaysia and Singapore) that contributes greatly to my peace of mind and sense of security, especially when travelling solo.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 December 2013

There are many hotels in central Florence but I choose this based on previous TA reviews - and they were spot on. The location is quiet but less than 5 mins walk from major attractions and a supermarket. The friendliness of the family running the hotel is great (thanks for the cappucino Mama!) and their willingness to help with information makes things easy for a first time visitor. Breakfast was varied and filling with interesting touches such as prickly pear one morning. The rooms are compact and spotlessly clean with a small fridge; they are just as they appear on the website. The wi-fi was reliable and easy to use (for me a first time wi-fi user). Excellent value for money

Room Tip: All are excellent and quiet at night.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

We stumbled upon the hotel on arrival from the train and we are very glad we did. Reasonable rates, delightful family staff who were friendly, welcoming and helpful and a great breakfast. Clean and basic rooms. Small bathroom but good bath and a really good breakfast where you felt waited on- excellent atmosphere!

Stayed: November 2013