“Great stay at the Casci.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Casci

Hotel Casci
Ranked #37 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Paisley, Scotland
“Great stay at the Casci.”
Reviewed 17 April 2005

We booked this hotel after reading your reviews and we were not disappointed. This is truly an excellent hotel and the family who run it are charming.

• Stayed April 2005
6 Thank MLWPaisley_Scotland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, AUSTRALIA.
Reviewed 14 April 2005

The Hotel Casci is located at 13 Via Cavour. That means it is genuinely within 5 minutes walk from the Duomo (Cathedral). It is operated by the Lombardi family, who are multi-lingual, super co-operative.

They have the cleanest room & the finest linen I have ever seen after 55 years of travelling world wide. I thought their bath towels were new !! I had a severe nose-bleed & Mrs Lombardi assured me "not to worry" & she had the towels specially laundered at no cost to me. The en-suite looked as though it had just been renovated.

Although Via Cavour is a main road with enormous busses taking you all over the city, we asked for a quiet room.... & we did not hear any traffic whatever. I suggest you do the same because I have seen a few complaints that the front rooms were noisy. We were placed overlooking the small courtyard & it was perfect.

We only had our breakfasts there, & being February we were concerned about cold meals. Not so. Hot food was available in unlimited quantities in a buffet style. Tea, fresh ground coffee, & fruit juice was also available.
The fresco in the dining room is a delight..... & so was the service.

The hotel is on the second floor with an almost indistinguishable street entrance. But from the time you step out of the lift into their reception you are in another world. We walked past the street entrance without identifying it on our first occasion.

It was previously occupied by the famous composer Rossini in another life time & common with most inner city Italian stately homes it was a bit of what we Aussie's would call a rabbit warren... but you soon get the hang of the layout.

Before retirement I used to stay in the Hilton chain worldwide (& other 5 star hotels.) This is not 5 star & does not pretend to be.... but I would rate the service, food & the room standard at least 6-7 star. Nothing is too much trouble for the Lombardi family.

We had advised them that after arriving in Rome airport at 6am we would get the express train direct to Florence & expected to arrive about 10.30 am. Our room was ready for us to shower & freshen up after 27 hours since we left Melbourne. Normally rooms are not ready before early afternoon. We did not know the Lombardi family at that stage but by the time we had to leave we hated saying goodbye.

We stayed 5 nights so we tested their patience because at 76 I had some special needs. They immediately provided everything I needed. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone staying in Florence.... because when next I am in Florence I will certainly stay there again. At 90 Euros twin-share a night we could not have had better value.

I am writing in such glowing terms because I believe I am being objective. I believe I am giving information that most first-time tourists to Florence would be looking for. This is the first time I have ever written a commendation but I felt that this is the only way I could say "thank you" for a wonderful week..... to a wonderful family.

Ray Jones, Melbourne, Australia.

• Stayed February 2005
26 Thank rljaust
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 13 April 2005

We stayed in Florence for a week with our 16-month-old son. The proprietors and staff were very friendly and attentive to the special needs that a baby brings. The room was simple, functional, quiet, and quite adequate for our needs. The portable baby crib ("cot") was nicer than any similar item I've seen in the U.S. I was pleasantly surprised by the healthy and hearty breakfast that was served to us each morning; although Rick Steves had warned us that Italian hotels tend to skimp on breakfast, that is certainly not so here. The Internet access in the lobby was very convenient. In summary, we really felt like our family was being taken care of by their family. We would definitely stay here again if we ever return to Florence.

• Stayed March 2005, travelled on business
3 Thank Tisco
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 March 2005

I spent a week at the Hotel Casci March 7-13, 2005. I have stayed at this hotel before, and it lived up my last impression of it, which was great. It is in an excellent location in Florence, very close to the Duomo and other attractions like the Uffizzi, Academia, Piazza della Signoria, etc.. The family who runs this hotel makes sure that you are as comfortable as possible, and always makes you feel right at home. The rooms are very quiet and adequate from a space perspective. The breakfast is good. Everyone who works at the front desk is very friendly. It is a big plus that they have a computer that you can use to get on the Internet, send/receive e-mails, etc. I highly recommend this hotel to those staying in Florence.

• Stayed March 2005
10 Thank cls4
Washington State
Reviewed 22 March 2005

Stay here. The location is great. Right down the street from the Duomo. The staff is wonderful. You won't find a nicer staff. The rooms are small, but not too small. We were there for part of our honeymoon. When we arrived there was a complimentary bottle of champagne, glasses and a sweet congratulatory card. Breakfast was good...standard Italian choices. The rooms were cleaned well every day. The bathroom was large enough. The price was right and you can get a discount if you pay in cash. We will definitely stay here again when visiting this great city.

8 Thank Youngblood
Catania, Italy
Reviewed 15 March 2005

I can only add to the glowing reviews this hotel has already garnered. My wife and I spent 3 days in Florence in March 2005. Upon our arrival, an unexpected pipe problem left our room without water. Rather than let us stay and be inconvenienced, the owners arranged for a transfer to another room in a hotel 2 doors down for one night. They were very apologetic, and upon our return the next day, they provided a bottle of wine for the trouble!
Our room was very clean, very quiet, and very comfortable. The staff bent over backwards to be friendly and accomodating. These points alone make this a good place to stay. Breakfast is in a beautiful frescoed room, and perfectly adequate, despite the machine-made cappuccino. The hotel is located 150 yards from the Duomo - THE main attraction in town, and 150 yards in the other direction from the Accademia and THE David. The train station is 10 minute walk away.
We've stayed in many places, and have experienced many hotels and inns. This one I recommend hands down without any doubts - I will not bother to look for any other place to stay upon my return to Florence.

• Stayed March 2005
10 Thank LaJacaTraveller
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 15 March 2005

When we look back on our first trip to Italy in late February, the Lombardi family's hospitality is one of the highlights of our trip. When a train confusion prevented us from arriving the first night of our reservations, we had to go ahead and pay for the room (understandably), but when we arrived early the next morning, they held breakfast over late to accommodate us. The rooms were simple, but immaculately clean. We paid 130 euros for our triple room, but it was discounted to 115 for a cash payment. The Lombardi family was extremely gracious. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2005