“Great rooms, lousy music choices”
Review of Gallery Hotel Art

Gallery Hotel Art
Ranked #37 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Maryland
“Great rooms, lousy music choices”
Reviewed 5 October 2011

Location was very good. Rooms were very clean and spacious. Dining is very limited, but the dinner was quite delicious and contemporary. No WiFi accessibility in room. Elevator is tiny, so if you are claustrophobic, you need to be able to walk upstairs.

Downside -- The music played in the common areas is loud and electronic, with a repetative sound and beat. Not sure what the correct genre name is, but I know it wasn't just me who didn't like it. There seemed to be tour groups in the same room as me near the lobby, commenting on it being loud and annoying. It is definitely young club type music. Not pleasant or relaxing.

Also, on Wednesdays, the outside restaurant area plays this type of music very, very, loudly. We were on the 5th floor above that area and if felt like there was a night club in my room. They do stop the music at 11:00 p.m.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Porto Alegre, RS
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Along the Ponte Vecchio, a modern and charming hotel. Spacious and comfortable rooms. Bathroom excellent. Staff are helpful and very courteous.

3 Thank MHOsanai_BR
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 16 September 2011

After travelling from NC, landing, taking the train from Rome to Florence, and then a short transfer ride (15 mins) arriving here was magnificent. The staff was so warm and friendly and welcoming. We knew we had "arrived"! Hotel rooms are spotless, and spacious...complete with a comfy rollaway bed made with the best linens for our 7 year old daughter. The food in the Asian fusion restaurnat was great with an Italian flair, and the breakfast was more than anyone could want. Location...perfect...steps away from Pontevecchio, and their sister hotel Continental is 15 steps away with a fantastic rooftop bar where the views are everything you see in postcards. It was a wonderful stay, and thank you to the staff for being on top of every little detail.. til next time.....!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
10 Thank Jeanine F
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2011

I stayed 6 nights late August 2011. The hotel was suitably priced for what it offered though when I was there the bar/restaurant was closed for renovation which was disappointing as so many reviews commented on how popular and lively it was. During my stay, the hotel was dead at night. Their sister hotel, Hotel Continentale, directly opposite, had a very chic roof top bar with incredible views across the city so that was a consolation. Apparently you can also use their gym but I didn't.

The BEST thing about this hotel is the location. Being near Ponte Vecchio, the Uffizi and particularly Piazza della Signoria is so much better than staying closer to the cathedral. Palazzo Vecchio is open till 23:00 in summer, plus the draw of Loggia della Signoria (the outdoor statue area), so there is a far greater hive of activity around this part of town. Ponte Vecchio at night had small bands playing music as well. Great vibe!

However…..the room had a bad odour throughout my entire stay - think sewage/old dead rat. I think it was coming through the air con as it came in wafts as well and was not in the bathroom. I told reception but nothing changed and I did not have time to chase it. I have heard before that sewage smells can be common in hotel rooms in Italy and as the air con was directly above the door entry it kind of dissapated by the time it reached my bed (so yes it was unpleasant but I tolerated it as I was out most of the time).

Internet access is wired (not wireless) in the rooms however it is fast and the wire reaches to the bed so you can use your laptop in comfort (well it did in the room I stayed in). On the first day the internet in the room was not working and incredibly it was fixed immediately by an in-house technician who actually knew something about computers.

The one day I did decide to sleep in the air con appeared to be turned off after midday, so if you do the same you will melt in summer getting ready in a hot room.

Room was cramped though it had a small balcony. Bed was very big and extremely comfortable. Television is the usual thousand channels of nothing in English except BBC and CNN. You can hire a movie for 16 euros but the range is limited. I always bring a netbook with pre-loaded movies and fav TV shows for this very reason.

Bathroom was very clean, excellent shower with great towels. Ferragamo shampoo and shower gel (weirdly no conditioner) and small beauty pack with cotton buds, cotton pad, hair band, shower cap, etc.

Breakfast was the usual mix of hot and cold buffet fare but far too expensive for 25 euros.

Fridge was small, packed with expensive drinks and snacks. I took them out and packed with my own pre-bought drinks and snacks though be warned it took the small fridge 2 days to cool them down (no joke). One evening I wanted to drink some prosecco I bought warm and after failing to cool it down I asked reception to put it into their freezer - one would assume a big hotel would have a freezer - but they didn't and they could not offer any suggestion as to how to sensibly assist the situation. In the end I suggested they got me a bucket of ice from their sister hotel and then the prosecco would cool quickly in that. They complied and it worked but it did annoy me that I had to suggest it. Not rocket science - I just don't think they could be bothered helping really.

Overall, the majority of the reception staff I encountered weren’t terrifically warm - they didn't have that "nothing is too much trouble" attitude – however I have heard that attitude is common amongst service staff in Italy so I kind of expected it.

There are a number of things that make this hotel a good choice, and the other reviews I have read sound fair however, for me, I just can’t get over the bad smell experience, combined with the above average price, which means I will be looking to try another hotel next time I am in Florence.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
7 Thank Agent-KMK
Chelmsford
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Travelled as a foursome to celebrate best friend's forthcoming wedding and what luxury awaited us! I was very fortunate to stay in a suite (room 701) and we had 2 terraces, 2 bathrooms and wonderful view of Florence. The beds were super comfortable with lovely linen and it was a struggle to rouse ourselves to go sight-seeing. The bathrooms were large and had plenty of lotions and potions and lots of pristine white towels.Room service was polite and efficient.
The church bells on Sunday were beautiful and the location was perfect - eg within 2 minutes of the Ponte Vecchio/Uffizi. I'd not been to Florence or mainland Italy before and will definitely be returning based on this experience (which included a George Michael open air concert in the Piazza Santa Croce......awesome!). Florence is expensive but fabulous.

Room Tip: If you're in the suite be aware that guests in the nearby Hotel Torre Guelfa can sit high up on...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank mummyofaandw
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 September 2011

This was my first visit to Tuscany and this was a 3 night stay prior to a one week cycling trip in Tuscany. I chose this hotel based on its location and its size. The hotel is steps away from the Arno and Pont Vecchio. Is an excellent combination of chic and old world elegance. We arrived tired from a trans-Atlantic flight and were greeted warmly by Simone, the exuberant concierge. He promptly upgraded us to a penthouse suite which was wonderful! He then sent a staff member to escort us to a charming trattoria for a quick lunch. He arranged for all our museum tickets (to avoid line ups) and recommended restaurants. Villa San Michela is particularly lovey. Set on a hilltop (in an old monastery) with a breath-taking view of Florence, this meal is not to be missed! But, dress well (jackets for men) and be prepared to spend as though you were in a top restaurant in NYC or London. Wine list is terrific and we ended up going back on our last night to bid a fitting farewell to Firenze. Anyway, back to the hotel - beautiful rooms and world-class service one would expect from a boutique luxury hotel. The location is perfect! Have a drink at the roof-top of their sister hotel across the street (beautiful people having beautiful cocktails with a beautiful view). Nothing is more than a 10 minute walk from the hotel. On our way back we stayed at the Westin Excellesior in a river-front suite for about double the price. That was lovely, but was definitely not worth the extra 350 Euro per night. Next trip, will definitely be back to Gallery Art. Hopefully, Simone will still be there as he delivers service at a level that I've only experienced at the best Four Seasons in the world.

2 Thank rohitb2
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 9 September 2011

This hotel was right next to Ponte Vecchio but still in a little alleyway that manages to keep cool and quiet. The room was tasteful though small. The staff very helpful even during high season. You need to leave your car keys with them so thy take it to a garage far away, so bear in mind you need at least 30 min before you get it back once you ask for. They share a cocktail bar roof terrace with their sister hotel right in front that is really worth a visit at sunset.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple