“Good location but interesting service”
Review of Gallery Hotel Art

Gallery Hotel Art
Ranked #36 of 420 Hotels in Florence
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Good location but interesting service”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights during our two week Italian honeymoon. The hotel itself is in a good location with being a minute walk to the ponte vecchio bridge. The room was average size and clean. The bathroom was tiny compared to the other italian hotels we stayed at during those two weeks.
In order to make a reservation to restaurants, we had asked the front desk to make a reservation for us for dinner. They told us to come back at 6 pm and the reservation would be done. Well right before we headed out for our 8 pm reservation, we had forgotten our map and had asked the concierge to show us where the restaurant was. Well thank god we did that because they made a reservation at a completely different restaurant than we had discussed earlier in the day stating that the other restaurant was closed.
We had asked the concierge to help us book train tickets to go back to Rome (2 days prior to leaving florence). Well, the one thing we asked was to be seated together. They told us no problem that the tickets would be ready at 6 pm. They refused to book the tickets in front of you even if there is no one behind you waiting for service. Well we received our tickets at 6pm, and we're not seated together (or even close to each other). We figured out how to look up the seating chart online and went back to the concierge to have them change it so we could be seated together and they charged us a fee to have it changed.
When checking out of the hotel, the bill showed charges from the room's mini bar and we had never taken from the mini bar. We went to the grocery store called Conad which is across the ponte vecchio bridge and it's on the other side of the street to your left. Well they took that part of the bill off and my husband paid. We started our walk with our luggage to the train station- about a twenty minute walk. And something else with the billl still didnt seem right so I pulled out the original booking information which showed how much the room will be each night with tax. Well, the final bill was about 350 euro more than that. So after walking back to the hotel, we spoke to the manager who was very nice and corrected our bill.

Good: clean room, nice manager, great location
Bad: won't make reservations in front of you, does not acknowledge honeymoons, tiny bathroom, even if you are in a hurry to the train station compare your bill to the original booking information to make sure you aren't being over charged for your room

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
johoponyc
Reviewed 3 April 2012

So after traveling almost 20 hours from Hong Kong to get here for a business trip, I arrived and found out hotels.com had never submitted my reservation. Was probably the worst thing that could have happened at the time but the team here was AMAZING. Unfortunately this hotel was fully booked so I never got to stay here BUT the service from the manager here was BEYOND words! I travel A LOT and have never had this kind of service. He helped find me accommodations at their sister hotel around the corner Lungarno Suites (which is amazing as well). Its the kind of place you want to stay because the staff is so friendly and service like this is hard to come by these days. I will definitely be staying here every time I come to Florence for work...and the location is hard to beat!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Excellent services, excellent meals, good wines, clean room, nice location. Would recommend.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
UK
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We have just had 3 nights at the Gallery Art hotel.

From the moment of first contact to the moment we left, the service was excellent.
When we checked in the lady on reception was extremely friendly and knew who we were.

The room was vey clean, decor is very modern.
The room we booked was a double but when we got up there it had 2 single beds. We spoke to reception and they amended immediately.

Breakfast was really good, cereals, eggs, bacon and sausage. Cheese, breads, lots of fruit and choice of juice.
I agree the price is high at €25 and if it hadn't been included in the hotel price I'm not sure we would have been able to justify €50 a day for the 2 of us.

We wanted to book a couple of restaurants and the concierge gave us a few suggestions and offered to book one of our choice.
They also gave us details of where to visit and shop.

The bar is very comfortable and the staff are extremely friendly.

The location is absolutely perfect. It's quiet but within a few hundred yards you are at the Ponte Vecchio.

I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank UkAmericanTraveller
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 February 2012

I really loved this hotel. Here's why:

1. The Staff: I have to give a huge shout out to Anna at reception for being so patient with my husband each time he asked her to make a reservation for us, cancel it, and make another one. She did everything with a smile and really seemed to enjoy her work. We spent a lot of time asking Anna a million questions and she patiently answered each and every one. Anna, if you're reading this THANK YOU!
Prior to our arrival my husband had emailed back and forth with concierge regarding dinner reservations. They gladly arranged everything for us.

2. Decor: This hotel is perfect for trendy and, as my mom would say, "hip" people. The lobby was set up like an urban art gallery: large, flat sofas at the center of the room so you can sit and look at the exhibit. When we were there it was a photography exhibit. A lot of nudity, but very tastefully done.

3. Rooms: Very spacious and contemporary (or is it modern?). Nice big bathroom. Clean and comfortable. Sort of reminded me of a W hotel.

4. Location: Couldn't be better. You're right on the corner of the Ponte Vecchio, so you have easy access to wherever you're going.

My husband and I were very happy that we chose this hotel and I'd definitely recommend it. I really have nothing bad to say, which for me is pretty rare.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank NYJanet
Todmorden
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Location is brilliant, decor lovely but drinks and breakfast extortionate (cheapest bottle of wine €27). Breakfast was offered to us at half price but even at that it wasnt really worth the money - we ate breakfast out and paid a lot less every day. The bed was very comfortable, the room gorgeous as was the bathroom. Tea and coffee making facilities in the room would have been a great addition.

• Stayed February 2012