“Cannot Imagine a Better Choice in Firenze”
Review of Hotel Savoy

Hotel Savoy
Ranked #28 of 411 Hotels in Florence
“Cannot Imagine a Better Choice in Firenze”
Reviewed 3 August 2009

Wife and I stayed for 4 nights in a 1-bed suite and 1 night in a standard room (the extra night because we missed our flight). The overall conclusion is that our stay at the Hotel Savoy was the most satisfying hotel experience of any of our experience anywhere in Europe, and deserves an unqualified recommendation.

Location: Perfect. The hotel is located on the lively Piazza della Republica (the main piazza in the city and an attraction in its own right), and is within 5-10 minutes walk from anywhere one would want to go in Firenze (Uffizi, Ponte Vecchio, Duomo, Pitti, Santa Croce). Boutique shops also very close by. Cannot imagine a hotel more perfectly and centrally located (perhaps only the Helvetia would come close). Now, the location could serve as a downside for some people, because it is so well-located in a lively piazza. There is a fair amount of street noise during the day, and also at night from the late-night revelry in the piazza. So for those who prefer absolute peace and quiet, and looking to stay at an "oasis in the city", then Hotel Savoy perhaps not the best choice for them.

Room: Our suite overlooked the piazza, and the view was fantastic. Interior done in a chic modern Italian style, with wood flooring and high ceilings. Top-notch B&O AV equipment. Relatively large bathroom, but no separate shower stall. Very airy and spacious. The standard room obviously smaller than the suite, but as standard rooms go in Europe, very spacious compared to others (although B&O is replaced by Phillips AV equipment). One of the best and most stylish rooms I had stayed in Europe - we felt like we were in a photo shoot for an interior style magazine.

Service: Perfect. Friendly but not intrusive, relaxed but attentive. Worked the concierge pretty hard during our stay (every lunch and dinner reservation, two side trips into Tuscan country with car rentals, etc.), but absolutely no hassle and no hiccups.

Food/Drinks: Only had breakfast at the hotel, so not much to comment. The breakfast was good, but not quite a sumptuous feast - very good for folks wanting to have a good light breakfast, but not for those who want to "load up".

The Savoy is a beautiful stylish hotel in the best part of town, reasonably priced (for a hotel of this quality in Europe), and thus the title of this review - I cannot imagine a better choice in Firenze. I have posted numerous reviews on this site for several years, but Hotel Savoy is one of those rare places where we were completely satisfied with no caveats, and would absolutely recommend to others.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tommy0609

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
UK,Russia, the world!
Reviewed 20 July 2009

I stayed at this hotel last year and decided to write a review now. It was a wonderful hotel, in a beautiful city. Everything went smoothly, check-in was fast and welcoming and, the room was clean, modern and beautiful. We had a view of Piazza de la Republicca.
One thing that some people may wish to note is that there is a restaurant on Piazza, which does play live music at night on to the early hours in the morning! Some people who have a room facing Piazza, may not like the constant noise.
I did not mind, as the hotel is in a prime location and you cannot help but take a stroll late at night and view the attractions nearby at night, such as the Duomo nearby. If anything, the people selling fake designer handbags provide people with amusement with their tricks to avoid being detected by the police.
This hotel has friendly and helpful staff. The concierge was very helpful in booking our tickets to the Uffizi gallery, which saved us the trouble of queuing up to purchase them. In addition, we wanted to eat at an Indian restaurant. The concierge found us an Indian restaurant, reserved us a table there and, booked a taxi for us to get there.
If you like shopping, this hotel is certainly in the right spot, all the boutiques are nearby.

One thing that I found odd was the hotel breakfast staff. They did not appear to be ‘with it’. I overheard breakfast staff complaining about other breakfast staff members in Italian. They were not quiet about it either, nor were their expressions disguised. Not the type of thing I expect from such an establishment. So breakfast was not done well here.
Avoid having breakfast or eating at the hotel restaurant on the piazza under the hot sun. At times, it is very busy and noisy, if you prefer quietness and some peace at breakfast, eat inside.
When we left, we found a red cloth bag hanging on our door, with a lovely gift inside. Quiet a nice touch!

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Ottawa
Reviewed 15 July 2009

I would definitely recommend this hotel as it is perfectly located, very stylish and the service was amazing!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
London, England
Reviewed 2 July 2009

Yes the rooms are a bit small (we stayed in a studio room which was just OK sized), but it is a hotel in the centre of a medeival city! If you need a bigger room go out of town.

The key point is you simply cannot beat the location (right on the main square). Sitting in the outside bar/restaurant watching the world go by is just fantastic. Staff all super helpful and charming. Nice finishes and lots of nice touches. If we went back to Florence we would definately stay here.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 14 June 2009

I stayed for one night. Everything was faultless, and the bed extremely comfortable. It is true, the rooms are not very large but they are not small either. The location is perfect, the cafe and the terrace on the piazza wonderful, and the service excellent. Yes, it is extremely expensive (9 euros for a fredo?), so one would expect this kind of service and quality. But it really is excellent. And the speakers in the lavatory a very good touch.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
St. Louis
Reviewed 15 May 2009

You certainly can not beat the Savoy for location and style. Beautiful hotel in the perfect location … You truly are in the center of Firenze! Our “upgraded” room was smaller than what I expected for the price but the quality and service more than compensated for the size issue. I would certainly request a room overlooking the Piazza next visit as my room provided only a view of the neighboring hotel wall .. not a pretty sight knowing what Firenze has to offer… but then you are not in Firenze to sit around in your room!
Take a seat outside, have a drink, and watch the show go by in the Piazza della Repubblica. for an hour or two. You can’t beat that!

• Stayed May 2009
Rumson, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 April 2009

My family and I have been staying at the Savoy for years, since my daughter did a semester abroad at NYU in Florence. I have stayed at this hotel at least 5 times and would not consider ever trying another. I have been coming to Florence for over 20 years and have tried every class of service from a month at a rented apartment on the Arno owned by a Princess (rip off and no A/C in late June!) to the Plaza Lucchesi on the Arno (passable when we were younger and couldn't afford it), De la Ville (run down), The Grand (super expensive and impersonal) to a country house out of the city (too far).

My search ended the first night I stayed at this property. Not only did they find me a yoga class in town (a hoot in Italian with a left over 60s guru!) but the door man was actually in the street looking out for me to come home because he felt that it was taking me too long to get back after the scheduled end of the class. The look of relief on his face when he recognized me coming across P. Repubblica couldn't have been put on. Actual concern for the comfort, entertainment and well-being of their guests is their primary purpose.
They are indulgent in letting me practice my poor Italian (and very effussive when I get it right....try that in a Parisian hotel in French!) graciously accepted my daughter from the dorm for 2 mornings for breakfast with me although she wasn't a guest at the hotel (but had been in the past) and let me off once when I cancelled without the proper notice, just because I fell on my sword and was nice and truly sorry- not "American" about it. No offense was taken....I've seen those of whom they speak in action in that town over the years. "RHODA;...GET THE VIDEO!!" "Too many IIII-talians here...TALK American!" (Actual quotes over the years).
Yes, the rooms may be a bit small (I have always faced the front of the hotel and it is magic, as some have already indicated) but the bathrooms are updated and perfect. The closet space I found completely acceptable. Breakfast is wonderful and they won't charge you for a second, and even a third (in my husband's case) cappucchino/coffee, as I have been in other hotels in the city. My favorite is when they pour you a glass of juice you didn't ask for and then charge you because it wasn't included- 5 Euros x 5 people in my family...That was at the GRAND!!
So I rely on these reviews and read them often but have never felt compelled to write one. In anticipation of returning with my daughter to Florence in 3 weeks and booking (great deal now buy 2 get one free!) my room, I thought I'd give you my years of experience at this hotel....one of the constants in my life.
Don't hesitate in booking at the Savoy, you will find value for your money and be completely satisfied. I promise. I'd never stay anywhere else.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family