“Excellent location. Luxury minimalist room”
Review of Hotel Savoy

Hotel Savoy
Ranked #26 of 422 Hotels in Florence
Madrid
“Excellent location. Luxury minimalist room”
Reviewed 17 April 2006

I liked this hotel. It was expensive (but isn't all of Italy!) and the rooms could have been bigger but you could not beat it for location. The service was excellent, the rooms always spotlessly clean and the bar terrace was wonderful for just soaking up the atmosphere of Florence. Three tips - if you arrive by train it is a short walk from the station so no need for a taxi. I recommend Room 522 - it was the perfect Room with a View! Enoteca Pinchoirri (spelling?) was a great spot for a special occasion dinner - fab Michellin 3 star restaurant. Men need to wear a jacket and you should be prepared for a staggering large bill !!

• Stayed April 2006
4 Thank LucyMadrid

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 13 March 2006

We stayed for a weekend break at the Savoy in Florence and found it to be perfectly located, just metres away from the Duomo and tower.

Staff were welcoming and efficient, and the food was good (though a little on the expensive side, compared with other restaurants in the vicinity).

The decor was very stylish and modern. Our room was of a decent size, comfortable, clean and well-equipped. We had a little balcony overlooking the piazza.

Overall, we liked the hotel. We would not stay anywhere else in Florence, if we were to return, and we would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed September 2005
6 Thank Jamesh764
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 5 January 2006

This hotel is gorgeous, immaculate and in a fabulous location. I loved the minimalist style- a real respite. The hotel has a wonderful ambience and it was comfortable and relaxing to stay here once our "issues" were resolved. First of all, we had an error in our reservation ( not the fault of the hotel) but the front desk graciously corrected it and upgraded us to the triple we needed without an additonal charge. Then, one of our two rooms was located next to a hidden service elevator and we couldn't sleep the first night but they willingly moved us the next day to a quiet room overlooking the Duomo. The breakfast was ridiculously expensive and was not included in our rate so we didn't eat there. The staff was friendly and helpful- made us feel comfortable- free internet in the business center- I would definitely recommend this hotel and would want to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2005
10 Thank NancyFH
Reviewed 11 November 2005

Sorry this review is a year old, but I've been meaning to write it. My husband & I stayed 3 weekend nights at the Savoy after 4 nights in a great luxury hotel in Rome, so our expectations were very high. At the Savoy, we could not have asked for a better location, staff & room.

TIP 1: I read a tip from a travel book & requested a room with a balcony and without hestitating they accomodated. They gave us a choice of having a room with a Duomo view or a Piazza view. We chose the Piazza view. If you are a light sleeper, choose the Duomo view because the Piazza is bustling almost every night until 2-3 am. If you want romantic, choose the Piazza side because you will hear wonderful street music every night.

TIP 2: Take advantage of the Concierge. The Concierge got us special passes to see The David & The Uffizi without having to wait in line. He ordered our train tickets to Venice. He was especially helpful when I got pickpocketed. He gave me all the local numbers to credit card companies and arranged for our transportation to the Police Station to file a police report. All this for a discretionary tip.

NON-HOTEL RELATED TIP: Don't get pickpocketed. After not having any incidents in Rome I was pretty lax with my belongings. So, beware when a lot of people are around. They are very good they got me when my husband was right at my side.

Anyways, out of the 4 hotels we stayed at in Italy, the Savoy was definitely my favorite.

I've posted photos with views from our balcony.

• Stayed October 2004
20 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 October 2005

Had high expectations of this place based on several things and was overall let down. Some staff surly while others downright rude. Service overall was spotty at best. Restaurant food was well below most Tuscan food we have had in other parts of Florence. Concierge restaurant recommendations were well below average and quite disappointing really. Think I would stay at the Excelsior again next time.

• Stayed October 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 September 2005

I have just returned from four amazing day's at the hotel Savoy Florence
I was a little apprehensive as it was the first time in Florence a forty something female on her first lone trip.
I need not have worried, the Savoy is without question a beautiful contemporary hotel. However what makes it stand out is the incredible staff.
All the Receptionist with warm greetings and advice, the Concierge Alexander, who organized my walking guide and booked all my museum visits.
Fabiana the guide, who gave me a very comprehensive history lesson.

The waiting staff bar none made me welcome and relaxed while dining alone. The food and wine list is excellent.
Annika the delightful housekeeper and all her team that catered to my every need.
I can’t recommend this hotel highly enough.

In contrast I decided to have dinner at the Villa San Michelle.
I had heard so much about the magnificent view; I wanted to get a feel of the place for a future visit.
When I arrived the stiff and unfriendly receptionist barely acknowledge me.
When I told him I had a dinner reservation; he did not show me into the dining room merely pointing the way, (no one else was in reception) so he had no excuse.
The waiting staffs were so formal it was a most unpleasant experience.
It was such a relief to return to the smiling faces at the Savoy.

• Stayed August 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Redhill, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2005

This was the first stop for my 40th birthday - and what an excellent choice. There was nothing you could fault about our stay. The room was immaculate and very comfortable. We even took photos of the corridors because they as stunning as the room. The staff were very helpful. Location perfect. Can't imagine going back to Florence and staying anywhere else.

• Stayed September 2004