All reviewsformer conventquiet streetchapel roomsmall hotelclassical musicminute walk from the duomobreakfast serviceaccademia gallerywould highly recommend this hotelthe air conditioningstreet levelfour nightsyogurtlovely hotelwalked everywherehistoric buildingroom was spacious
Reviewed 13 August 2005

We stayed at the Hotel Morandi for a week and were delighted in all respects. The charm of the hotel, the high standard of its equipment and its ideal location were immediately evident, but it is really the service, the quality and helpfulness of the staff that I wanted to mention. The staff were of very real help in allowing us to benefit from our stay in Florence. They respon¬ded promptly and with good humour to every request for assistance. I rarely write eulogies to hotels, but the Morandi is an exception, and I strongly hope we will return soon.

• Stayed: August 2005
4  Thank Paradise22285
Reviewed 26 June 2005

The rooms in Morandi are small by most American standards (although actually quite commodious, esp. for those who enjoy Left Bank Paris). But what Morandi lacks in size, it more than makes up in style, grace, charm, and hospitality. The rooms (all unique) reflect their former incarnation as a convent, and antiques are incorporated in the decor, along with modern amenities such as an in-room safe, cable television with Italian, German, and English stations. Some may feel that the location, just off Piazza Annunziata, is out of the mainstream. But many also consider that piazza (designed by Brunelleschi, with terra cotta by Della Robbia) the most beautiful in Florence, is actually less than three blocks from such attractions as the Accademia (which holds the real David), San Marco (with the Fra Angelico frescoes), and the Museo Archeologico (with some of the finest Etruscan figurines in the world), while also being only a five minute stroll to the Duomo. We think nothing of taking our passegiatta from there to the Ponte Vecchio and back after dinner, stopping along the way at a favorite cafe, bar, or gelaterie.

It's small (eleven rooms) but wonderful.

We love Morandi. It is the embodiment of "Bella Firenze" for us.

10  Thank CocoPazzo
Reviewed 15 June 2005

I have just come back from a trip to Europe and stayed at the Morandi alla Crocetta after extensive research work for the best value for money. I must with no doubt compliment the Morandi for being more than up to what they promise. I had all the help and attention form the desk staff I could ever ask for. They helped in restaurant and museum entrance reservations as well as shopping and other useful hints. The hotel itself is delightful and very well appointed. The computer in my room worked fine and it is the only hotel I have experienced to provide reasonable priced internet connection directly form a computer set up in your bedroom. I will certainly recommend this hotel as a great place to stay, great staff and good prices.

• Stayed: June 2005
3  Thank Safari27691
Reviewed 12 June 2005

This hotel has more promise but fails on execution more than any I’ve ever experienced. It is highly regrettable that this most excellent property is run by such a bunch of uncaring and unhelpful people. Indeed, asking them the simplest question seemed to create a burden on them that only stopped sort of outward sighs and hostility. More on that in a moment. First, the good things:

The hotel is a former convent that is in remarkable shape with Crosses carved in the ceiling beams along with all antique furnishings. When we first arrived, I couldn’t help but softly begin a Gregorian chant just to hear it echo in the high ceilings of the entry. Similarly, the room had wonderful oriental rugs set on top of inlaid wood floors. Truly beautiful. Unfortunately, the physical plant is where the beauty ends.

The fellows who work the desk reminds one of movie characters out of a grade C horror flick who might have taken over a convent in order to work on Frankenstein-style experiments in the basement while having to put up with boarders to support themselves. Even the smallest and tiniest of requests create a burden for them and they are quite excellent at making you feel a burden.

For example, the hotel advertises “wi-fi” Internet access in every room. After settling in, I tried to connect my laptop but no luck. There is a very modern pc in the room that had Mozilla browser available but it demanded access codes (profiles) before connecting. (I learned latter that the pc in the room was wireless but you cannot hook up your own pc to their network). So, I went out to inquire as to how to get on the Internet. I was told, “ I have no idea about things like computers and so you must try by just pressing on keys hoping that it will connect.” I asked if tech support was available via a phone call and was told that would not be possible.

Another terrific example was when we went to the desk with the name and address of a Florence restaurant that had been highly recommended by friends. After considerable prodding, the desk fellow finally agreed to look up the phone number in the phone book. His first attempt failed. I insisted he try again, he did so and this time he failed again. He said that since we had the address, forget about calling and just go there. So, after a 10-euro cab ride we arrived at the restaurant to find it completely closed. He couldn’t have cared less that we spent time and money tracking down a place he could have found by phone with just a little bit of effort.

But the lack of help that took the cake was our desperate attempt to find a tour into the Uffizi gallery. We had not purchased tickets in advance (sold out) and were loathe to wait 3 hours in the “no reservation” ticket line. We learned that tour groups were a definite possibility because included with most tours is a “no wait” ticket into the museums. We inquired about such tours at the desk and the fellow told us he knew nothing about them. He said he didn’t know where to locate any and that his best recommendation was to spend the 3 hours in line. Late into the evening, I found a tour company on the Internet and made arrangements for a tour for the following day. The tour operator asked where we were staying and when I replied the Morandi alla Crochette, the operator said we could find the tour company's brochure in the lobby. Later, I asked the same fellow at the desk for the brochure and he produced tour brochures for 3 different operators! He had bald-faced lied to me in my original request for help! He just didn’t want to be bothered!

One final well-deserved criticism of these guys. I mentioned earlier how physically beautiful the property is – well these fellows are even trying to mess that up. The bathrooms have ceramic tiles that are consistent with the rest of the property. But, these guys hung cheap-looking plastic towel bars and shelving that looks like it belongs in Motel 6.

So, bottom line is that unless they completely overhaul the help (God forbids that maybe these guys are the owners!), I must recommend vigorously against this place. Too bad, too, because without the much affected front desk help, this would be a dynamite hotel.

• Stayed: May 2005
5  Thank davekv
Reviewed 28 March 2005

Have stayed at this hotel 3 times and have also sent friends there. It is in a quiet street (trust me you want that in Florence) and from the front looks unexciting. But once inside it is quite lovely, great rooms and super service.

It is an old convent and much more interesting than any chain hotel. Good value for money in Florence.

I would stay there again without doubt.

• Stayed: January 2005