“Honeymoon Dream!”

Ranked #19 of 411 Hotels in Florence
McAllen, Texas
“Honeymoon Dream!”
Reviewed 29 November 2011

My wife and I toured Italy for our honeymoon and were delighted to come across Torre Di Bellosguardo on the internet. This place is the MOST romantic castle you could ever imagine! We had some bad experiences in different cities with super expensive 5 star hotels with TINY rooms that cost WAY more than the Torre Di Bellosguardo.
Walking through the gardens on the property was amazing and the people went out of their way to make us feel like royalty. The hotel overlooks the city and is very close to everything. Torre Di Bellosguardo has that antique furniture store smell and the floors creek when you walk on them but also has all the modern facilities you could need. Although they do not serve dinner the continental breakfast was just the thing to get us started each day. In all my many travels throughout Europe this is by far the best experience I have ever had and my wife was ecstatic.
We cannot wait to go back on our anniversary.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main part of the hotel in room number 14. If you get this room you will not regret...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Belflorence, Owner at Torre Di Bellosguardo, responded to this review, 12 December 2011
Dear Guest,

We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and are most grateful for your enthusiastic review. We hope to welcome you back again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Turkish first
Oakland, CA
Reviewed 9 November 2011

To be able to stay out of the fray of the city and in this 14th century estate was majestic and magical. So much attention to detail in keeping the antiquity of the estate intact as well as updating the ammenities to current standards has been done with love (and surely a lot of sweat) and the hospitality creates a lovely ambiance to wake up to and to return to after a day in the city. The breakfasts which are included were lovely and served in an open air aerie looking wouthwest over the beautiful countryside. The pool and food service there including freshly picked herbs (basil for the caprese salad) and tomatoes from the vine were heavenly. Watching the moon and the sun rise over Florence: priceless! (couldn't resist that trope!). A little pricey, but definitely worth the splurge. Taxi service is almost immediate; very little waiting at all. If you have a car, it gets hidden in a large and sophisticated lot underground: dug out of Rock!!!! Impressive...

Room Tip: Corner room with three windows over the Tuscan countryside and the city of Florence.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Belflorence, Owner at Torre Di Bellosguardo, responded to this review, 10 November 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very very much for taking the time to express your satisfaction. Our aim is above all to make sure our guests feel at home here and enjoy the peace and serenity of our hotel. we are most grateful.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I don't think my stay in Florence would have been the same if I had stayed somewhere else. This tranquil elegant property with its lush grounds was a perfect base for days otherwise filled with lots of sightseeing, art, and food. The rooms themselves are outstanding - old world charm and class with vistas that are unbelievable. You'll find yourself losing track of time as you stare outside your window onto the exquisite view of Florence below. And the grounds are so beautiful! You can easily spend two hours strolling around taking in the nature and the crisp Tuscan air. The staff is extremely helpful and accommodating. I highly recommend making this part of your Florence visit.

Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

All our grateful thanks for such a flattering review. We are truly delighted that you enjoyed your stay here and hope to welcome you back again.
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 7 November 2011

The hotel is situated on a hill so it overlooks the old city of Florence and is in a very calm and peaceful area. The view is absolutely exceptionnal, so are the settings of this old family-owned palazzo and its gardens. The suite we stayed in was very charming, spacious and with grand views from the windows. The hotel personnel was very welcoming and helpful.
Unfortunately there were some works while we were there so the indoors swimming pool wasn't available. For the children it would have been nice. But they enjoyed thoroughly the donkeys and cats and goat and rabbits and it was very nice to get out of the noise and agitation of the city to have quiet evenings with them. The hotel has no restaurant so breakfast is minimal abut there is a dinner service in the bar.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Waking up to the views of Florence from my bedroom window and enjoying quiet early-morning strolls around the grounds of Torre di Bellosguardo provided me with some of the very best memories I have of Florence - a city with no shortage of unforgettable sights. It was a perfect serene complement to the magnificent and bustling piazzas of the city center. The olive groves, outdoor hilltop pool and gardens, and nearby fields of grapevines served as constant reminder that Florence can be appreciated for its natural beauty, as much as for its architectural and artistic achievements. For me, Hotel Torre di Bellosguardo was pitch perfect. With its welcoming but unobtrusive service and its truly awe-inspiring setting, it was an integral part of an experience of a lifetime.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 26 October 2011

Hotel Torre di Bellosguardo, Florence

I was a fanatic traveller until I reached 60. Mass tourism, noisy airports and laziness conspired to invite me to lead a more sedentary life. It was my husband Antonio who forced me out, when he saw me on the Internet attempting to find out whether the church with the Lippo Lippi frescos at Prato – which I had wanted to see in 2001 to no effect – had been restored. Since the answer was affirmative, he convinced me to take a 10 days holidays in nearby Florence.
On the advice of a friend, I booked the Belloguardo. I was not entirely happy since the hotel was not in the middle of the town as I had wished, but all my reservations disappeared when I saw the statue over the door and then our room. Not only had it «a view», but it was splendid. Even before checking the shower, I spent minutes, or hours, admiring the sunset's light and reflection over the Duomo. It sounds corny, but there was I, happy as a lark.
Only later did I discover the pedigree which explains the genius loci: the tower had been built in the XIII century for the Dante´s friend Guido Cavalcanti and later was the residence of the Marquises Roti Michelozzi. In the 1920`s, it was bought by the Baroness von Hornstein-Franchetti, whose descendent Amerigo is its current owner.
But the history of the building is not the most relevant factor for a traveller, so let´s concentrate on its amenities. Besides the view, the gardens are lovely, there is a secret path which puts one near Porta Romana in 15 minutes and, for those who like it, a swimming pool. Not being a typical tourist there are several other things which have pleased me: the bed mattress was hard, there was ample space downstairs to write and, most importantly, the bulbs of the lamps were strong enough to read in a comfortable position. When I visit a place, I enjoy reading about it, but had never, ever, found the right lighting in a hotel. Were it not so cumbersome, I would have put a bulb in my suitcase, but since I already travel with my pillow decided that enough was enough.
I knew beforehand that the hotel served no food except breakfasts, but since there are so many good restaurants in Florence this does not constitute a problem. The taxis are on ample supply and the reception´s staff deals with it efficiently. Two days before we left, I met Ana, the owner's wife, a nice and kind person, whom to my surprise, was a Portuguese. Only on the night before our departure did we meet the owner, a self effacing and extremely nice gentleman who does everything he can to maintain a high level of comfort for those who are privileged enough to have a room ( there are only 16). My only reservation regards the monstrous flies, so anyone travelling during the Summer months ought to take an insect repellent with him. My room had air conditioning but since the view was so amazing I insisted on having the window open after dark, with nasty effects on my arms and legs. Apparently, in northern Italy this is what happens. But even this nuisance did not stop me from enjoying the visit.
14.10. 2011
[---]

Room Tip: Select those with a view over Florence!
Scituate,Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 October 2011

The hotel of the beautiful view (as it translates in Italian) is more than just a view,it is an experience thay you will never forget. My husband and I made some great memories here last month. We want to warn you that this is a location that dates back to 1300 ,and is not a Four Seasons type of facility. But as our cab driver said (in his best English) " I have brought you to heaven". The hotel is privately owned and they live on the grounds. The staff is very polite,friendly, and speak excellent English. When you walk in you will realize that this is indeed hundreds of years old, as the massive sitting room lobby and the adjacent rooms look and feel like you were transported back in time. During the day it is wonderful to stroll the manuicured grounds and enjoy the babbling of water in various fountains and gardens. The hotel rooms themselves are nearly as they might have been a few centuries ago ( with more modern and cheerful bathrooms of course). Be advised that you on the top of a hill ,and if you are not up to the exercise, than a taxi will be needed (they are easy to get). Florence is a small city and you can walk to most of it with ease if you like. The hotel has a breakfast buffet and full bar service.. So guests usually go out to lunch and dinner (which was fine with us,as Florence has all types of restaurants). To us all 5 star hotels seem alike and most are forgettable. We will never forget Bellosguardo.

1 Thank Farrell H