“February in Firenze”

Torre Di Bellosguardo
Ranked #17 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Torre Di Bellosguardo

For anyone who likes great hotels, Art, and urban walking, this hotel is essential!

Let’s start with the walking. Leaving the font door of the fourteenth century building, half castello, half palazzo, a walk round the front displays the whole of Florence sprawling below - the Pitti Palace nearest, the Duomo a little further away. The Hotel sits in fourteen acres of lovingly tended Tuscan garden, including a small farm, all within the city boundary. The walk down past the vines and olive trees, from which the Hotel produces its own label wine and olive oil, takes about ten minutes. A few more minutes after leaving the Hotel’s grounds, brings one down to the famous Porta Roma, the old city entrance. Nine minutes later, and you are at the Pitti Palace. Walking onwards you reach Ponte Vecchio, only thirty five minutes from your bedroom. And the bedrooms and the views from them in this fantastic Hotel Torre di Bellosguardo are amazing as the walk.

The Torre is a built round a central tower from which Galileo observed the planets, which is now one of the best bedrooms in the hotel, but all the bedrooms are great. Each has been lovingly restored and improved. The furniture antique - we slept in a four poster, but with a perfect modern mattress! Many walls retain their original paneling some of which open to reveal the thoroughly modern bathroom, luxuriously appointed.

We stayed at the Torre in February – a delightful time to visit Florence as there are no crowds. Air conditioning for the summer has recently been installed throughout, but in winter the rooms were warm and cosy. A hot meal can now be provided in the evenings if you pre-order and don’t want to go out. This is a really very special place.

Room Tip: Say you want to seethe Duomo form the bedroom
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Belflorence, Owner at Torre Di Bellosguardo, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words. It is always a pleasure to welcome you to our hotel which ,as you know, is your second home.

Reviewed 28 January 2012

I should make it clear at once I have been here before - often. I love the place so much the owner let us take the whole building for my wife's 50th. birthday. If one is looking for a modern international hotel with all mod cons including satellite tv, then it is not for you. If want an ancient building, unmatched views and a more than welcome, then it is! Garden is also stunning and worth a long walk round.
Central air conditioning has been installed so those trips in July and August will be much more comfortable. However, purists won't notice, it's very discreetly installed.

Room Tip: City views have truly stunning views over the Centro Storico.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Belflorence, Manager at Torre Di Bellosguardo, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2012

Dear faithful guest,
It is always such a joy to welcome you back. Thank you so very much for your generous comments. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 22 January 2012

We had planned for so long to spend a Capodanno in Florence and finally made it this year. To our most satisfaction we had decided for the Bellosguardo. Arriving at this medieval palace we were fascinated by the absolutely unique view offered from the location. The palace is situated in an ample park and overlooks the magnificent skyline of Florence. The Bellosguardo welcomed us with its enchanting atmosphere created from its very friendly staff and its original interior design. It is a treasure to still have places like the Bellosguardo in a world that loses singularity every day. We were very pleased to enjoy a special arrangement facilitated for us at New Year Eve as we preferred to stay in "our palace" for this event.

We instantly felt at home and are looking forward to return in May to see all plants and garden in full bloom.

Room Tip: We had number 11 and were pleased with it (overlooking Florence). We would like to experience the ot...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter T
Belflorence, Owner at Torre Di Bellosguardo, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for writing such kind words. It was a real pleasure having you here. We hope to welcome you again.

Reviewed 14 January 2012

As before ( i stayed here a while ago ) the service at the Torre is excellent , although it is a totally different hotel in the summer , it was a choice that i was happy that i made . i will be staying there on my next visit to Florence . The one negative was the price , like all hotels it had hiked its price for the Pitti trade show .

Room Tip: it makes no difference , all of the rooms have a great view .
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Belflorence, Manager at Torre Di Bellosguardo, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are delighted you enjoyed your visit, but would like to point out that we would never dream of "hiking" our prices because of a fashion show like Pitti. On the contrary our winter prices are lower than our high season prices and include breakfast. We look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 12 January 2012

We stayed at this hotel this past July (late review). The location is amazing, the views of Florence are unparalleled. Our room on the top floor was huge with a beautiful old world bathroom (very quirky toilet flushing system). The pool and grounds were a very welcome respite from the summer heat. We were served a pre-ordered dinner in a beautiful courtyard. (catered from a near by restaurant. there is no in house restaurant) It did take some arm twisting to get them to serve it there rather than in the Bar area. We walked down the hill through a beautiful Olive grove every morning to get to the City (appr. half hour walk) and took a Cab back up the hill in the afternoons.
When we were there we were eaten up by mosquitoes. Florence in general has a massive mosquito problem from the river. But I understand the hotel has installed A/C in the meantime.

Room Tip: spend the extra and get a room with a view
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yyz2mbj
Reviewed 10 January 2012

My husband and I planned our trip to Italy months in advance. Of all the places we would visit, we were most looking forward to staying at Torre Di Bellosguardo, where we had stayed ten years before. When we arrived in the late afternoon of December 27th, there was not one light on in the hotel. I pulled my down coat closer to me and realized that there was no heat on. The man checking us in said that this was a temporary problem. As we checked in I noticed a fine layer of dust on the front desk. I was so excited to be there, that all of these things dawned on me slowly. I was aware of the construction noise just outside, but said nothing. I said "hello" to the resident parrot and mentioned to the gentleman that the room was very cold for a bird to live in. Then we were taken to our room. There was no central heat on so they had put two small portable heaters in there. The bathroom was very cold as there was no heat. We stayed in our room for about fifteen minutes... long enough to become aware of the loud noise of the construction outside, and to book a hotel down in the town of Florence. While we were in there, the lights and the two heaters went off.
My husband asked the man at the front desk about the construction noise and was told that it would stop soon and not begin again until 9AM the next morning! I am a seasoned traveler, having spent much of my life in Europe. I am simpatico to the differences that sometimes exist in terms of amenities such as "small bathrooms" or "mis-matched furniture". I celebrate those differences! This was not the situation when we arrived at Torre Di Bellosguardo. I was shocked that we hadn't been told about the construction and about the furniture covers in the public rooms. (Piano and couches and lamps all covered because of the dust). I had told them when I made our reservation that this was our 30th anniversary and that we were so looking forward to spending it there. Instead of being honest, they accepted my $900(!) and welcomed us into a cold, dark, dusty, noisy place. We tried to appeal to the manager, but were told that he was not there. When we called later, we were told that he was not there. When we finally got through to him the next morning he denied that any of the things I saw and felt were true. Eventually, he told me that although he would not refund any of my money, he would apply our money to a future trip. I will never go back to this hotel because of the sense of betrayal felt this time. I have NO DOUBT that the owner/manager will reply to this writing that "none of this was true". It is for precisely this attitude that I will not return to Torre. Everything I have written here is true. What do we learn from this? ALWAYS ask if there is construction going on to the inside or OUTSIDE of a hotel. My best wishes to this beautiful place. We wish you no harm. Just feeling very sorry about our experience there. It will pass.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kabuki
Belflorence, Owner at Torre Di Bellosguardo, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2012

Dear Guest,
Your review caused us great sorrow, especially since what you say does not correspond at all to the truth. Already when I first talked to your husband on the phone he textually said that construction works were going on throughout the hotel and when subsequently I had you on the phone you admitted that what he had claimed was wrong. The only works were being carried out were in the orangery, a place which in any case in the winter is closed to guests.
The interior of the hotel was totally clean and all the hotel staff can witness to this. No furniture was covered by sheets against the dust, which in any case was not there.
You and your husband decided to leave and you are, of course, free to do so. Even though I had no obligtion to do so I offered to apply your deposit to a future booking either of you or your childrren. Obviously this was not enough for you and the money factor seems to have bothered you to such an extent that you now claim slanderous and damaging statements.

Reviewed 2 January 2012

“The beautiful and rare hotel, Torre di Bellosguardo, came highly recommended by friends, and still my first visit simply blew me away. First of all it is such a fantastic palace, the rooms are so richly decorated and the atmosphere of the whole place so special, that I had not been able to imagine anything like it. The views of the city of Florence were breathtaking, from every room almost and from all over the fairytale gardens. I will have to go back in the spring to see everything in bloom. As I just experienced the whole place, over Christmas and in the stillness of winter, there was a promise in everything of wonderful things to come. Having said that, going to Torre di Bellosguardo in the winter will remain a treat I will give myself in the future, because it is such a remarkable and private luxury, also at this time of year.”

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Belflorence, Owner at Torre Di Bellosguardo, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2012

Dear Guest,
It was such a pleasure welcoming you here and are delighted that you so enjoyed your first visit to our hotel. Many, many thanks.