“Good location and great room!”
Review of Hotel Art Atelier

Hotel Art Atelier
Ranked #124 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I really enjoyed our stay at Hotel Art Atelier. The location is perfect, only about a 10 minute walk from the train station and most major sites in Florence. There are many restaurants and bars nearby that were good to eat at. Also the Mercado Centrale is right around the corner with lots of shopping. The room was clean and really nice. A double was 2 twin beds pushed together but that is usually the case throughout Europe. Some people complain it is "outdated" but I don't agree, kinda had a classic look to it. There were also tea and coffee with an electric kettle available in the room. The bathroom was a decent size with a nice shower. The air conditioner wasn't as cooling as we would have liked it and you did have to have reception turn it on but it was too bothersome. The breakfast was decent, a variety of cereal, croissants, some hot items as well. It was just enough to get the day started. My only complaints were the maid walked into our room 2 days in a row even with having the Do Not Disturb sign on the door while we were still getting ready. She never even knocked before she entered either. Also, we used the coffee cups and they were not changed out, just left there dirty. Overall, I enjoyed staying at the Art Atelier and would recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Art Atelier

Reviewed 6 July 2013

After recently staying at Hotel Art Atelier on a 5 day holiday with my family, I have very mixed feelings about my stay here.

I cannot complain about the location of the hotel, which is about a 10 minute walk from florence's main line train station (Firenze S.M Novella) and is very easy to find. The hotel is situated down a small street away from all the noise of the train station. Upon arrival we were not shown to our rooms, and neither did we have our bags brought up to our rooms (I would expect this part of the service from a 4 star hotel).

Once in the room, (single occupany) I was very much impressed with the decor and couldn't complain about the cleanliness or spaciousness & comfort of the room. However, one little moan I have is that the air conditioning had a slight fault whilst we were staying there, which meant if we wanted to have the air con on or off we had to let reception know.

Once we sorted out our belongings, we decided to eat locally (which we ended up doing every single night). One restaurant which I would recommend visiting is Ciro & Sons, which is situated behind the irish bar and opposite the italian bar & tabacco shop. It is one of the most amazing restaurants I have visted in Italy, and would recommend enjoying a 3 course meal here as you will not be disappointed.

Breakfast was lovely in the mornings, with a selection of pastries, cereals, yoghurts and even cooked scrambled egg, bacon (italian obviously) and baked beans. Also, you have the option of cold and warm drinks from a machine, however the hotel also provided a twinings tea selection at the bar, so you can enjoy a proper cuppa tea.

The one complaint I have with the hotel is the experience I had to go through whilst staying here. On the 3rd day of our stay we were out of the hotel room for a 11 hours. On returning to my room, I noticed my make up bag had been altered and then after further investigation I had found two items had disappeared from my room. I reported the loss of my personal property straight away to reception, however they advised me that they couldn't do anything about it and that I would have to talk to the manager in the morning.

That next morning I reported the loss of my items to the hotel manager, however on both occasions on the night before and to the hotel manager neither staff seemed bothered about the situation & seemed to turn it around like it was my fault. After further discussion with the hotel manager, he promised me he would contact me once I was home and that I would have a full report of what happened. Since I have returned home I have had no reply from the manager of Hotel Art Atelier & have tried to contact him on several occasions with no response.

When I stay at a hotel I want to feel I am in a safe environment, however staying here was not the case. By choosing to stay at Hotel Art Atelier for our family holiday I felt put a downer on things, however I will make sure I will NEVER be staying at this hotel EVER again in my life. However, I will return to Florence at a later date, but I can assure you it will not be here!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Coco842
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We arrived in Florence via train from Venice. The hotel is about a 7 minute walk from the train station so that was great! It is in a great part of the city- so many restaurants and bars right in the immediate vicinity. The Mercado Centrale and Mercado San Lorenzo are just a block or so away! The Duomo is only about a 5-10 minute walk as well. Well everything is within walking distance- we walked everywhere! The hotel is nice; the breakfast was delicious- good cappucino and croissants, meats, yogurt, etc. The rooms were pretty spacious but the furniture and bedding were very outdated. We kept the air conditioning on all night- but it never seemed to get really cool in the room- it wasn't broken, it just wouldn't allow to go any cooler. That was my biggest issue as it was hot outside! There is also a city tax that we had to pay when checking out that I was not aware of- I think it was 20 Euros for each room (we stayed for 3 nights). Overall- the location is great, the hotel is average - but I would recommend it!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We were pleasantly surprised with this hotel. The location is excellent (three blocks from the Duomo, two from the train station, one from the market). The room was really nice and we were lucky to get Room 105 which had a private patio that opened onto an open area between buildings. The room was clean with nice furniture and amenities.

The staff were also very friendly and helpful.

We spent our evenings at an Irish pub at the corner (near the Medeci Chapel). It was a lot of fun and filled with a lot of Americans.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

To me the idea of staying in the same hotel more than once is boring however, I would have no reservations about returning to Art Atelier.

Great location moments from the Duomo group and walking distance to everything else.

Large, stylish, quiet room. Super comfy bed. Huge, clean and bright bathroom.

Great value especially for Florence.

Breakfast was fine but we usually missed it as we like to sleep in.

Complimentary tea, coffee and cake available in the breakfast room all day.

Very friendly and efficient staff.

Room Tip: 204 was nice and quite
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Recently returned to Florence after a couple of years and selected the hotel on the basis of its location and it didn't disappoint in this regard. It is 5 minutes walk from S.M. Novella and less than a minute to the Medici Chapels and the markets of San Lorenzo. Check in was all fine and we were showed to our room which was on the second floor.

Impressions of the room were a little disappointing as while being small (which is normally the case, or has been on most of my trips to Italy) it felt just generally a bit dingy with little in the way of natural light (along with a view of an opposing wall). The carpets and fixtures were definitely in need of some attention and wasn't all that clean.

The service throughout our stay was ambivalent at best and queries were generally poorly handled with staff not being aware of relatively basic tourist information (museum opening days etc.). I happened to show up to breakfast one morning a little later than usual about 20 minutes before they finished and while I was just finishing my coffee one came up to me and said "Bye Bye" which I felt was a little unnecessary in the circumstances.

To my mind, there are definitely better places to stay in Florence within this price range but for the excellent location its certainly an option if others are full.

Reviewed 8 May 2013

This hotel was a bit classic for our taste but was in a very convenient location - less than 5 minutes away from the train station which was also a hub for all the city's transportation. Even though we thought we wouldn't need to use buses we used a lot of them to get back and forth to different locations. The hotel was clean - wifi didn't work one day ... breakfast was really good ... and the room was very quiet considering that this is a very busy area ... what more do you need !!!