“Still can't decide if it was their horrid food or pessimal service that made us sick...”
Review of Le Carceri

Le Carceri
Ranked #1,320 of 2,930 Restaurants in Florence
Price range: US$18 - US$59
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Santa Croce
Reviewed 5 September 2013

My friend and I decided to try this place out while we were studying and living in Florence this past summer because the place itself is aesthetically appealing, and so was its historical background. Sadly, what resulted was my worst dining experience in all of Italy to date. To begin with, the waitress took over half an hour to come to our table, despite having passed our tables almost ten times previous to that and despite the fact that we were the ONLY people there. When she did arrive, she snapped at us and shamed my friend by asking her "can't you read?!'' when my friend was reluctant to read off the menu for fear of butchering the Italian language. She brought us menus in English and asked "can you read English?!" in a cynical tone of voice. After she was done yelling at us she took another half hour to forty-five minutes to bring us our food. When it finally arrived, it was very disappointing- both aesthetically and in substance. The food was bland, dry, and half cooked. Even I could tell it was awful, and I am no chef or picky eater- I'm generally easy to please when it comes to food :D . Later that night, much to our dismay- although not surprise- we had stomach pain and my friend couldn't stop vomiting. Still waiting for Karma to do its thing.

2  Thank Lizzz_586

Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

This was a pretty nice restaurant in Florence. It was recommended by our tour guide and the pasta plates we had were good. The service was ok. It was a interesting place to eat since it used to be a prison before. We ate outside since it was a nice night. Desserts were yummy. I had a pear and dark chocolate tart which was not too sweet and just the right size.

1  Thank Jolene H
Reviewed 8 August 2013

The service was impeccable! The outdoor seating area was intimate looking out onto a landscaped courtyard. Very family friendly. The food was fresh and delicious, the Chianti Classico incredible! Wonderful use of an old Italian Prison. The final bill was astonishingly low for the quality of food given. Must visit this one! Made our trip to Florence after shopping with our personal shopper Maren Erickson, even more memorable. Thanks Maren for recommending!

1  Thank pmshaw
Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

We arrived at 8.20 - with no reservation. We were seated in about 10 mins, so pretty good considering that it was really busy. It took about 20 mins before we could order and another 20 mins until the food arrived - and the waitress was definitely having a bad day, she wasn't actively hostile but not far away from it. I would be reluctant to return again.

2  Thank JohnClaytonNZ
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Food was very good. Waitress recommended the true Tuscan plates to us and we were not disapointed!
Restaurant also visited by locals, which is always a good sign.