“super location and staff”

Rivoli Boutique Hotel
Ranked #71 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a break in Florence, staying at the Hotel Rivoli for four nights from 16th March to 19th March. We booked the complete package with Voyage Prive, including flights with Vueling, private transfers and meet and greet parking at Heathrow. The package included an upgrade to a superior room and breakfast was included. The location is excellent with all the major sights within walking distance. The staff were extremely helpful, the food was very good, with plenty of choice at breakfast. We stayed in room 115, which has a small balcony overlooking the courtyard gardens. It was extremely clean and comfortable - Best Western even offer you a selection of pillows to choose from! The flight with Vueling was direct to Florence (not Pisa as offered by many, with a longer transfer). The legroom on the flight was better than many airlines offer, and again the service was very good. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a stay in Florence, and would not hesitate in recommending Voyage Prive to anyone - we will definitely be using them again.

Room Tip: Front facing rooms may be noisy, as they will face the Via Della Scala, which is a busy road.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pat C
DirezioneRivoli, Responsabile reception at Rivoli Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear Guest,
thank you for your nice comment ! It's always a pleasure to know that our guests had a nice stay in our Hotel.
We try to give our best services to our guests and, to be honest we are helped by the Charme of the building and the location of our Hotel. The inner courtyard in effect it's very relaxing and this, together with the Jacuzzi in the garden, gives our guest the possibility of relaxing after visiting Florence.
I hope to welcome you again at the Rivoli, for the moment form all of us I can just say again Thank you and Arrivederci.

Ass. Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,680)

Reviewed 20 March 2014

When traveling in Florence we wanted our hotel to be close to the train station and the tourist attractions. This hotel is less than 5 minutes from the train station and a close walk to Ufizi and many other tourist areas. In exchange for the location and price I was pretty disappointed in size and comfort of the room. The toilet is probably less than 10 feet from the bed and the room was always hot. The bed was very low and hard and the pillows were flat and hard. The breakfast spread was large and tasty. The staff in the hotel were extremely friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MikeM262
DirezioneRivoli, Responsabile reception at Rivoli Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Dear Guest,

thanks for spendig your time writing your comment on TA.
This gives us to improve every day with clients suggestions .
I hope to welcome you again at the Rivoli and glad to send from all of us a warm Arrivederci!

Ass Manager

Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed in Hotel Rivoli for 4 days during my visit to Florence. Train station, major attractions, restaurants and shopping area is all 5-10 minutes walk. I was offered choice of two rooms on arrival. Chose the room with a garden view even though it was a bit small, because the other one was facing the main road which is quite noisy. Room was decently sized but looked old. Staff was courteous but I found the concierge unapproachable and not very helpful. The bar is a bit overpriced. They have a really nice restaurant as long as dinner is concerned. They customised the dishes to our taste and prepared them really well. Offered us free soup which was really tasty. As long as breakfast is concerned I found it really average. Really limited with no fresh juice or fresh fruits. Another issue I had was that you can really hear noise from the adjacent rooms. The walls are not exactly sound proof which might be a problem if you are a light sleeper. Since I got a really great deal on Hotwire so I cannot really complaint. Great value for money for the price I booked it for.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anish1710
DirezioneRivoli, Responsabile reception at Rivoli Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear Guest,

I'm really sorry to see that our hotel didn't satisfy you completely.
Our hotel is a XIVth century building, and might have some points which are difficult to understand for people used to modern building. I'm really glad you appreciated our restaurant, which personally I find very good.
I hope you will give us a second chance, waiting to welcome you once again at the Rivoli, best regards.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

This hotel is within walking distance of the train station, which was great, but it was a bit of a hike to the sites. We stayed there for 2 nights. We had the room by the small pool, which was a bit loud at times, with very steep narrow steps to get up to it, but otherwise ok. The breakfast was very nice with a good selection of fruit, meat, cheese and even eggs and bacon. We loved that you could choose the type of pillow you wanted because the pillows on the bed initially were very hard. The staff at the desk, although a bit slow, were helpful.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank SueCGA1

Dear Guest,
thanks for your nice comment!
I hope you will give us a second chance to give you a 100% stisfaction with your sty in our hotel.
From all of us, best regards and Arrivederci!!

Reviewed 12 March 2014

The Best Western Rivoli Hotel in Florence has a very interesting position and an impressive style. I’d like it very much, being small and warm even the spaces, furniture and finishes are made in an old style, which sometime mean cold, the atmosphere is plenty of happiness. Whatever is about Florence...
There are also few parking places if you rent a car to visit Italy.
Old and modern in the same time, with friendly staff and a pleasant breakfast.
Because of the position and the age of the house itself, even the hotel has just few levels, there are not balconies.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Stoica D

Dear Guest,
thanks for the nice comment. In effect the building of the Hotel is dated XIVth century...I agree with you when you say it's old, but we try every day to give our guest the best we can!
Hoping to welcome you once again at the Rioli, best regards,
La revedere !

Reviewed 8 March 2014

As 3 couples who go away several times a year on city breaks this was one of the nicer hotels we have stayed in. Lovely rooms, nice breakfast and friendly staff, central location - what more could you want ?
The real problem arose when we returned home - upon our departure I paid the bill in full with my debit card (they also like to add on 4€ per day "City tax" per person per day as well which I suspect is a bit of a rip off) however when I got home I checked my bank and credit card accounts as always as I have been subject to a fraud previously in Italy and it was obvious that something wasn't right.
When we originally booked the hotel I had to provide details of my credit card to secure the booking (this is the only reason I have a credit card for such matters) and upon checking they had processed a 'confirmation payment' of €230+ without any agreement/authorisation from myself.
When I queried it with the hotel (which involved the cost of several international phone calls) they stated that they hadn't taken any money and it was just a holding amount which would be cancelled in due course.
As I write this 11 days later they still have not refunded the money and I am incurring charges because I have exceeded my credit card limit on a card that I have never previously used other than to secure bookings.
They are now denying that they ever processed this transaction despite the online evidence which clearly shows otherwise - it's now in the hands of my credit card fraud department.

Be Very very careful if you decide to stay here - cash is king - DO NOT give them your card details under any circumstances because they will use them with or without your authorisation!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank celtwarrior
DirezioneRivoli, Responsabile reception at Rivoli Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear Guest,
thanks for the nice comments on our hotel, it's always a pleasure for us to read that we match our clients expectations.

I am surprised that an experienced traveller as you are is not fully aware of one of the most common hotel policies (at least here in Italy), that is the fact that the hotels requires guarantee for the reservations – to this pourpose only it requests a preauthorization on the credit cards for the first night amount ONLY. However, if you read carefully the list of our policies on the booking engine you used to make your reservation, it clearly states as much.

As for the City Tax, its application, both in terms and amount, is decided by the Municipality, and therefore varies from city to city, and again, it is clearly explained both on our booking engines and throughout the hotel (i.e. Reception Desk, Key Card Holder, Room Desks...), as well as by the reception staff upon check in, to make sure that all our Guests are aware that this COMPULSORY fee is to be added to their bill.

Regards

Reviewed 19 February 2014

This hotel doesn't look like much from the pavement but once inside you find yourself in a fantastic hotel full of charm. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and efficient. Great stay in a top hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank User718
DirezioneRivoli, Responsabile reception at Rivoli Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Dear Guest,

thanks for your nice comment. You are totally right when you say that from the outside you can not imagine the hotel that is inside. This was a convent since XIVth century and even if converted in a hotel, we tryed to keep the quietness and charme of the past history of the building.
I'm really glad that you appreciated also the staff services, on this matter we fous most of our efforts to guarantee our guest the best we can offer.
Hoping to welcome you again at the Rivoli, a sincere Thank You from all of us and best regards.