“Great Upscale Property 5 Min Walk to Train Station”

Hotel Albani Firenze
Ranked #108 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Stayed in a 2 Room Family suite in July2013. Cannot be closer to SMN train station, and 10 minute walk to Duomo, and walking distance to historic center, pedestrian streets nearby with many trattorias to choose from. Excellent room accommodations, quiet, clean and spacious with lovely hotel facilities and common areas, although these public areas are not air conditioned. Marble bathrooms, high ceilings and private balconies. Lovely breakfast in well appointed hotel restaurant area. No room service on Sunday as their restaurant closed but staff was quick to accommodate with paninis. Would not hesitate to recommend.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

This jewel is a well placed oasis on a small side street near the train station. It is a ten to fifteen minute walk from the main sites and close to the Central Market. All of the staff were extremely helpful and patient. Our room was spacious, clean, cool (in the heat of the summer) and very quiet and the bed was lovely and comfortable. You could hear little if any street noise. The breakfast was quite good as well. We very much enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Stayed in Albani firenze for 3 nights in july 2013. Front desk are wonderful, always ready to help with suggestions! Our room was a suite in a nerarby building. Huge, and also the bathroom was big! The breakfast was fantastic. We also used the sauna (no extra charge- they give you slippers, robe, towels and everything you need!), was a nice way to relax after long walks throughout firenze! The only minus was the noise of a building in construction in front of the room, which started at 7am!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I just returned from a stay at the Albani for 2 nights. It was VERY convenient to the train station and easy to find. The rooms were clean and large by hotel standards. We found the SOME of the staff to be very helpful in making restaurant reservations/recommendations, and also in purchasing tickets to the museums. All in all a pleasant hotel stay....but not exceptional.
Therefore....I am not sure that I would call this a four star hotel. I have to agree with some of the other posts regarding wi-fi access (very spotty) in the rooms. We also found the hotel to be quite warm in the common areas - the lobby and the breakfast room. We actually cut breakfast short because it was so warm (and it is served in the bottom floor -basement- of the hotel). The rooms were cool enough. We were traveling with two children as well as two other families with 2 children. We had all reserved Family rooms for 4.....which ended up being two separate rooms across the hall from each other. We were able to manage this but if you are traveling with small children- I highly suggest you reconfirm this before your arrival.
Staff working in the hotel (maids, waiters and bar servers) were not overly pleasant, and seemed put off with simple requests of extra towels or getting service at the bar (the front desk personnel had to call someone to the bar from somewhere else in the hotel to serve beverages).
I would stay there again due to the convenience- but might look elsewhere if the 4 star services were needed.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

This hotel was the best we stayed at on our trip to Italy. It had such great character! We had a large room and bathroom, with beautiful décor. It is right around the corner and down the block from the train station and about 5 blocks from the Central Market.
They served a large breakfast in the basement of the hotel, with very nice tables and white table cloths and excellent service. The hotel has and old open elevator that is in service and also stairs.
They walked us up to the room and showed us how everything worked. If I went back to Florence I would be looking forward to staying here again!

Room Tip: We needed to book a room for 4, my husband and I and 18 yr old son and 16 year old daughter. It is...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2013

This is a very difficult hotel to review because it has some positive points, but there were aspects of our stay that were very disappointing.
Among the positives are the location (just around the corner from the train station) and the cleanliness. In terms of the rooms, I agree with some of the reviewers that they might need an update, but in general they are quite big and comfortable, but all of this is what you would expect to get in a four star hotel. At the end of the day, you are paying for these things.
The aspect in which this hotel falls short is service. My wife and I have got better service at three star hotels in Italy than in here. At times it felt as if the staff was not properly trained and they either didn’t know what to do or they simply seemed to be ok with the fact that the guest will be unhappy about a particular situation.
For example, we were not offered any help with our luggage when we were leaving, or asked if we had a good stay. In one occasion, we had an excursion booked early in the morning, but we couldn’t have breakfast because the dining room was full due to a tour leaving at the same time. You wouldn't expect for these kind of things to happen in a four star hotel.
To the person about to book in this hotel, I’d recommend the following: you can get good location and cleanliness in a three star hotel. The rooms might not be the same, but chances are that the service will be at the same level of this hotel and you will save yourself some money.
If you still really want to stay in a four star hotel, go to another one.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eac2679
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I stayed here with a tour for 4 nights. I've stayed in a lot of European hotels and am well accustomed to the differences compared to American hotels. This is supposed to be a 4 star hotel, but if I was booking the reservation and "paying" to stay I'd certainly pick somewhere else. It sounds like many others have had a good experience here though.

The positives: Great location. AC worked well in the room. Front desk staff was very friendly.

Negatives: This is an old hotel. Room keys have to be checked out from and left at the desk. You have to manually lock your room from the outside when leaving. The room had ONE plug. I had to unplug several lights to get their plugs. I was given 1 large towel in the bathroom and when I got a few more from the room attendant in the hallway it was almost like I had to hand over my first born to get 2 towels. In the end I got them without a problem, but it was a lot more than "Can I have these 2 towels?" "Ok, sure". The internet/wifi was spotty at best - not acceptable in a hotel these days. Very unreliable and slow connection. Breakfast is typical European runny eggs with only a few additional items. Had to wait 15min to get into the smallish dining room for breakfast the second day around 8am. I was yelled at when I asked if there were more glasses for the juice. Never did get any coffee I was promised for the 20min I sat there. Maybe they were just having a bad day, but it was an unpleasant breakfast experience, both staff and food. The bed is ok - came with 2 flat pillows.

2  Thank Snareman
HotelAlbaniFirenze, Direttore generale at Hotel Albani Firenze, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

Thank you for the comments on your review.
We are very pleased that you liked the position, the cleanliness and the front desk staff of our Hotel and we are sorry that you had a negative experience one morning at breakfast, some time it may happen that all our guests decide to have breakfast at the same time, therefore you had to wait for a clean table to be set.
All our staff have name-badge, it would help us to know who yelled to you and did not bring you the coffee you asked, that person need to be trained.
For sure we will share your comments with our F&B staff.
Just for your information, if you would like to have more towels you should ask to the Front Desk, the chambermaid you meet in the hallway may not understand your language and she could misunderstand what you asked.
After your suggestions we will work on the plugs in the room and on the internet coverage and speed, now we offer this service free of charge and without any log in, maybe we should adopt a different system.
Thank you for the time you took to write your review, please be assured that we will take your advice to heart.
Best regards.