“Nice accommodation”

Hotel Machiavelli Palace
Ranked #201 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Very closed to SMN station . 'Supposed 5 minutes on foot from the hotel to the station (when you have a big luggage , it would take more couple of minutes to reach the station from the hotel .)
Hotel clerks were so kind . It's very cheap and seriously a good accommodation .
(The room was smaller than I was expecting though , room was very clean . )
There are lots of trattorias , ristorantes , one supermarket store and cafe shops .
The hotel has free wifi service .

• Stayed: February 2014

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We were two Kiwi women in our 60's and had a VERY enjoyable stay here for 6 nights in July 2013. We were given private access to the roof garden as we were the "talkative" types and after a few issues with internet access which staff were happy to remedy the general manager was happy to receive ideas about improvements to the hotel in general. The roof garden was under renovation at the time and would prove to be a great asset as offered a full 360 degree view of ALL of Florence.
Breakfast was very busy in an awkwardly shaped room and replenishment was tardy, but nice fresh food all the same.
They offered currency exchange with good rates.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the Duomo from the bathroom and had a tiny balcony on one side.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Great room. Reasonable view from our window. Great breakfast. Great price. Altogether an enjoyable few days spent at this hotel. It is close to the train station, across the road from the buses, easy to walk everywhere from, and pleasant staff. What more could you want?

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HelenRose
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I have a mix of good and bad points about the hotel. In summary, the hotel's location is great, just 5 minutes away from Firenze SMN station by foot and is convenient for those who are travelling from and to other city. There are many cafes and a supermarket just across the street, and most tourist spots are within 15 minutes' walk. However, a lot of improvements need to be done for the rooms and hotel operation.

I got a room on the second level, facing the main street and it was bad. The room was not sound proof and we could hear all the cars passing by and passers by laughing and yelling throughout the day, even late at night. There was also a family staying in the room next to us and we could hear them talking very clearly whenever they are in the room, and whenever they run the shower.

I was misled by the photos on the hotel website. When I entered the room, the furnitures were old and weary, unlike what was depicted by the website's photos. The lighting in the room was also too dim for my liking. Nevertheless, the room was of a decent size and it was nice to be greeted with a complimentary fruit basket on our first night, and then a bottle of champagne on our third night.

It was winter while we were in Florence. But the room was so stuffy that I almost perspired despite us adjusting the air-conditioning to the lowest temperature we could. We had to open the window and let the cold air in. Going back to my point about the room not being sound-proof, this made things worse when we had to open the window throughout the night. It was either sleeping with less noise, or sleeping in a really stuffy room.

The double bed was small and made up of two single beds pushed together. It was uncomfortable as we couldn't really move much while sleeping. Apart from that, they only provided 2 very flat pillows, and we had to request for 4 additional pillows for 2 of us for a more comfortable sleep.

I was not expecting 5-star hotel treatment from Hotel Machiavelli Palace for the price we paid, but it was very disturbing to find a bottle of half-drunk mineral water in the fridge. I believe such incidents should not happen in any hotel and the housekeeping team should be more thorough when turning over the rooms.

As for the bathroom, my room had one with a bathtub instead of a shower cubicle. The shower head made weird shrieking sound every now and then and the shower curtain smelled funny. I think it wasn't changed frequently.

Breakfast was included as part of our booking. On the first day that we went to the restaurant/cafe located at the ground floor of the hotel for breakfast, we gave up and decided to have it elsewhere. It was a cramped space and there were no free seats for us despite the server directing us in. Did not have breakfast at the hotel on subsequent days. Thus, unable to comment about the spread.

Wifi worked well for me throughout my stay and the staff at the front office was generally helpful and polite. All in all, Florence is a lovely place and I would recommend all who's travelling to Italy to spend a few days here. But if you are looking for a comfortable hotel or one that is value for money, I would not recommend this hotel as I consider it expensive for the quality of stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jan239
Reviewed 26 December 2013

My wife and I stayed on a short journey through Tuscany, after visiting Siena. The location by the main railway station in Florence (Firenze) is very convenient, once you get your bearings. The small narrow road that the hotel is off has small shops, bars, restaurants and hotels. The side street has a great choice of restaurants with more only slightly further afield, and the main produce market nearby (streets thronged with leather goods stalls some of the time, plus edged by more bars and restaurants - both inexpensive and more exclusive). Many of the most famous sites in Florence are walking distance, although make sure you have a fairly detailed street map (the hotel provided them), and water in the heat of Summer. There are kiosks, bakers, and small supermarkets (even a brew pub) along the road.

When we arrived a school party was staying that made the hotel at first look like a hostel. The school children were pretty well behaved and made little noise and the Machiavelli Prince clearly attracted a wide variety of guests. Our room on the side was quiet and overlooked the interesting little street. The breakfast was decent and the staff their and on reception all helpful. Some English was spoken which helped as we only managed very simple Italian. Despite searching a few quick sources on Machiavelli I couldn't find any actual connection with this part of the town but became much more impressed with him as a progressive figure. The enoteca Zanobini is nearby (ten minutes walk, a couple of turns) which is a must for wine lovers.

Room Tip: My tip is about the hotel location. It is easy once you know where it is in relation to the main sta...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2013

My wallet was lost in room 109 and during room make up when we had breakfast at the ground level. We had put a DND sign and locked the door before proceeding to breakfast,and planned to return for our bags before heading out. We were surprised to find our room entered and made up during our brief breakfast. The hotel staff said the chambermaid entered the room because there wasn't any DND sign. But we didn't put the Make up sign at the door in the first place! In addition, the staff (porter man and chambermaid) entered our room the second time without knocking to check first when I returned from breakfast and was in the toilet! The hotel staff were not empathetic and did not offer an explanation for why the chambermaid made up the room. One female bespectacled senior staff even suggested that guests may not like certain hotel staff and pick on them! They said they have informed the hotel manager of the theft incident but till our check-out today we have not met and heard from the manager despite us asking to see the manager for an explanation. By the way, room 109 was noisy (from back street) during our first night, visible from the hotel staircase (too close to public area), chilly and power plugs don't work properly (work only when lights are on). Overall, we didn't feel welcomed as guests of the hotel and felt shortchanged by the service which was way below 3* standard!

• Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank LyeSokFan
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Hotel is only 5 minute walk from the train station, Firenze Santa Maria Novella (take the street on the right from Mc Donalds). Farmer’s market and, street market selling leather goods, souvenirs, and other stuff are only two blocks away (exit the hotel, turn right and take second right again – Via dell’Ariento). Supermarket is one block (exit the hotel, turn tight and take first right again – Via Faenza). Several restaurants are nearby catered towards American tourists. Self-service laundry is at Via Faenza.

I booked a Junior Suite for 5 night stay through Orbitz. Later on, I made a mistake and called Orbitz to change the reservation to 4 night stay. Fortunately the hotel did not charge any penalty of changing the reservation. Junior Suite is slightly bigger and it costs about $10-20 more. Basically it consists of 1 room with two clothing closets and 1 bed room. Mattress was so hard like other Italian hotel. The bathroom was just fine and did not smell like other reviewer comments.

Contrary to reviews from Orbitz, I found no bed bug in my room. But I found one Tuscan wine bottle (free) in the room on the third day and a fruit basket on the first day.

Breakfast is standard – croissant, rolls, yogurt, cereal, cold ham, canned fruits, coffee and tea. It was always the same everyday.

Taxi to the Florence airport costs EUR 22, plus EUR 1 for each luggage.

Overall this hotel offers a good value for the price I paid. I will come back when the weather is warmer!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple