“we loved it and will be back”
Review of Hotel Brunelleschi

Hotel Brunelleschi
Ranked #24 of 412 Hotels in Florence
Belfast, United Kingdom
“we loved it and will be back”
Reviewed 4 August 2011

This is a great hotel. We were on girley holiday and our room was great more of a suite then just a room. The staff were very pleasant and helpful and the breakfast was lovely. We were in the centre off everything as the hotel was such a great location. The guy on reception was very helpful printing off time tables for the Pisa train our next stop. Full marks for the Brunelleschi Hotel.

Room Tip: we booked with Otels
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank black1210

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Zorneding
Reviewed 3 August 2011

The hotel Brunelleschi is perfect in every way: Location, Service, Breakfast etc. It was our second stay there and our great impression of the first visit was totaly confirmed. Our next stay will be there again!

Cary, NC
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We loved everything about this hotel, starting from location, service, quality of rooms, wonderful breakfast.
The hotel is very charming and if we come back to Florence we will definitively stay there again

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 1 August 2011

The location and the attempt to restore historic buildings more than make up for the rather "interesting" way one accesses their room (two elevators and a glass-floored walkway). The rooms are clean and comfortable, and this was the best bed I had in Italy. The front desk was efficient and helpful. The one negative is the wi-fi system, which is spotty and hard to access. The breakfast was bountiful, and the service polite.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank July2011traveler
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 1 August 2011

This was a really disappointing stay on several levels. I had read the reviews, and knew that they were going through renovations, and had written to them asking about how it might affect us. I was assured in an email that there would be no problem at all, so it was sad to show up and find scaffolding right outside our windows. Luckily we arrived on a Friday and left on a Monday, so there wasn't construction noise for most of our stay, but they started in bright and early Monday morning.

Pros:
*Great location
*Comfortable bed
*Attractive room
*Nice bathroom

Cons:
*Air conditioning was broken so it was either freezing or too warm
*Strange chemical smell in all the hallways
*Staff not all helpful
*Dishonest about work going on
*The elevator situation which everyone has written about (You have to take two different very tiny strange elevators to get upstairs). I didn't think this would be a problem, but when you realize you've left something upstairs your heart sinks because it's a pain to get back! We just ended up using the stairs most of the time.
*Wifi is ABSURDLY expensive and then doesn't even work. $25 a day for one device, So if my husband and I both wanted to be online we would be spending $50 a day. Our other two hotels in Italy had free access that actually worked.
*No gym even though it was advertised. My husband likes to have access to the gym, and apparently it is closed due to renovations. That happened to us once in Los Angeles and guess what!? They gave us passes to a gym close by. When we asked here they seemed annoyed that we would expect them to provide a service that they advertised.
*Terrible room layout. There was no dresser or drawers to put anything away, and the only place to put our suitcases was on the two chairs, which meant that we could never sit on them.

And then there was a situation about the breakfast....When we checked in for our three day stay, the man who checked us in said "Breakfast will be included in your rate. We will show you where the breakfast room is!" and the bellhop proceeded to take us through the breakfast room and tell us the hours it was available. The first morning my husband was asleep so I went and had the breakfast (which was a very nice buffet) and then left. The second morning we both had breakfast (he had yogurt and I had toast!). and when we were about to leave the waiter brought us a bill for 50 Euros. I told him that we'd been told breakfast was included in our rate and he went away again. He came back and told me that I had to go down to reception. This was embarrassing, obviously, but I did. The man that checked us in was there with a manager. The manager started telling me that I had to pay, I pointed out that the other gentleman had told me that it was included. The other gentleman apologized and said that he had in fact told me this, but then the manager told me I still needed to pay. Absurd. I told them that I wouldn't pay $75 a day for toast and yogurt, and that I wouldn't eat there on our last day, but needless to say I was done with that hotel.

The location IS great, but there are literally dozens of hotels within a few blocks that offer the same location, but with hopefully better and more consistent service. I hate places that act like they are doing you a huge favor taking your money!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Becky2010
GMHotelBrunelleschi, Direttore generale at Hotel Brunelleschi, responded to this review, 9 August 2011
Dear Mr / Mrs,

My name is Claudio Catani, the general Manager of the hotel. It would be helpful to understand who is writing just to be able to check Your review which is going on the opposite way of the last 5 reviews we received on Tripadvisor.
Not being able to check the paperworks of your booking (type of accommodation, day of arrival, etc..) I can only answer in general to your remarks :

1. A/c – we had no lack of a/c during the recent time
2. Don’t have any remarks of chemical smell in all the hallaways (did you visit the entire building?)
3. Staff not helpful and dishonest about work going on : We are proud of the service we render to our esteemed Clientele; I cannot give You any proper answer on this because I don’t know who is writing. Further more I want to say that it is very discourteous what you said about our staff being dishonest.
4. The elevator situation is something which is not a problem; I would like to add a passage of a travel agent’s review stayed in the hotel during this summer : …..”With an older building like this, the rooms were on several different levels and guests have to take a couple of different elevators to reach some rooms, though it was not an inconvenience and our group enjoyed the hotel as part of our wonderful adventure in Italy that spanned two weeks..”
5. Wi Fi : I use to travel a lot for business and I have not had the same good fortune; I always pay for wi fi connectivity; it is still discourteous your way to write ABSURDLY
6. No Gym : as you mentioned is duly advertised in our web site that the gym is not available. As this is not a lack of service we did not provide pass for another gym
7. Terrible room layout : this is something very surprising as 98% of our Clientele have left proven written notice on how they have liked our refurbished rooms
8. Breakfast : thank You for your comment of our buffet breakfast (very nice buffet); it is very strange that you pay a lot of attention to details and don’t know if your meal plan includes breakfast or not. Usually our Clients don’t ask if they have breakfast included or not, if they do we normally check the paperworks and give proper answer.

Best Regards,

Claudio Catani
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 29 July 2011

A strange hotel this one with rooms small but very modern and of good quality, comfortable beds, helpful reception staff and great location. What let's it down is the rest of the hotel which doesn't match up and gives a very different feel to the place , i. e. the reception, hallways, the breakfast rooms with chairs that looked like they'd had better days. What also let it down was the noise - we were opposite housekeeping who let the door just slam every time and we were also not informed of the work being carried out outside our rooms which started at 7 am. In all fairness the second morning all was quiet after we said something but this didn't stop them from removing the scaffolding at 7am on our last morning.

1 Thank weml
Puerto Rico
Reviewed 28 July 2011

This is in the middle of Florence, so to get there you have to travel through endless very tight streets passing between a lot of people walking in this tight streets. We have to ask the hotel if they could sent us someone, which they did, to take us to the entrance of the hotel. Very expensive, but in the center of the city, clean beautiful rooms and good service.

• Stayed July 2011