“Amazing stay at an amazing hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Brunelleschi

Hotel Brunelleschi
Ranked #21 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Kansas City, Missouri
“Amazing stay at an amazing hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2011

Last month, I stayed at the Hotel Brunelleschi for two nights as the tour manager of an American group. Our stay was absolutely superb! I want to especially thank hotel manager, Fabiola Menchetti for her warm welcome and for making sure all the needs of our group was met efficiently and with kind attention. Fabiola and the entire staff at the hotel was friendly and courteous and we could not have asked for better service. Rooms were exquisitely well-appointed - more of a 5-star level - with excellent beds and linens. The breakfast buffet was in a lovely room and had an abundance of delicious offerings. The hotel's location is the best in Florence - right in the heart of the historic city center within a block of the Duomo, with great shops and many great cafes and the best gelateria, GROM just steps away. Our group was delighted to learn we stayed in a building that boasts the oldest tower in all of Florence! With an older building like this, the rooms were on several different levels and guests have to take a couple of different elevators to reach some rooms, though it was not an inconvenience and our group enjoyed the hotel as part of our wonderful adventure in Italy that spanned two weeks. I also had to work during my stay and despite being in an older building, I was able to log onto the hotel's wi fi with no problem after receiving the code from the concierge. I received many, many compliments from my group members for choosing the Hotel Brunelleschi and I will definitely stay here again myself and make reservations for future groups. Thank you again, Hotel Brunelleschi for an amazing stay!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

I traveled to Florence with my mother (53) for a mother-daughter vacation this past july. I'm young and am generally ok staying just about anywhere, but my mother, let's just say she has high standards and is accustomed to 5 star Champs Elisee pads. The long and short of it--Hotel Brunelleshchi was wonderful. The hotel recently underwent renovations and they did a marvelous job. Everything is chic and the modern decor is stunning with the ancent structures. I get the feeling the hotel is striving to be the IT place in Florence. It's a boutique but maintains a fabulous and attentive staff (the Consiegre sent us to PERFECT restaurants) and absolutely stunning premises. We even emailed before we arrived asking for assistance in making muesaum reservations...and when we showed up the tickets were already paid for (charged to the room) and in our box! We just went to the museaums and walked right in, skipping the lines entirely!

Aside from the hotel itself, it couldn't be in a more perfect location. Less than 100yds from the Duamo, it's in the center of town, nestled away in a quiet piazza which is perfect for the post dinner glass of prosecco.

I couldn't recommend this hotel more, you will NOT be dissapointed. Even if their rates skyrocket in the future (which I predict!) I will ONLY be staying here when I visit Florence from now on.

1 Thank Suzanne_j11
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

This is a great hotel. We were on girley holiday and our room was great more of a suite then just a room. The staff were very pleasant and helpful and the breakfast was lovely. We were in the centre off everything as the hotel was such a great location. The guy on reception was very helpful printing off time tables for the Pisa train our next stop. Full marks for the Brunelleschi Hotel.

Room Tip: we booked with Otels
1 Thank black1210
Zorneding
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

The hotel Brunelleschi is perfect in every way: Location, Service, Breakfast etc. It was our second stay there and our great impression of the first visit was totaly confirmed. Our next stay will be there again!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Cary, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

We loved everything about this hotel, starting from location, service, quality of rooms, wonderful breakfast.
The hotel is very charming and if we come back to Florence we will definitively stay there again

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

The location and the attempt to restore historic buildings more than make up for the rather "interesting" way one accesses their room (two elevators and a glass-floored walkway). The rooms are clean and comfortable, and this was the best bed I had in Italy. The front desk was efficient and helpful. The one negative is the wi-fi system, which is spotty and hard to access. The breakfast was bountiful, and the service polite.

1 Thank July2011traveler
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

This was a really disappointing stay on several levels. I had read the reviews, and knew that they were going through renovations, and had written to them asking about how it might affect us. I was assured in an email that there would be no problem at all, so it was sad to show up and find scaffolding right outside our windows. Luckily we arrived on a Friday and left on a Monday, so there wasn't construction noise for most of our stay, but they started in bright and early Monday morning.

Pros:
*Great location
*Comfortable bed
*Attractive room
*Nice bathroom

Cons:
*Air conditioning was broken so it was either freezing or too warm
*Strange chemical smell in all the hallways
*Staff not all helpful
*Dishonest about work going on
*The elevator situation which everyone has written about (You have to take two different very tiny strange elevators to get upstairs). I didn't think this would be a problem, but when you realize you've left something upstairs your heart sinks because it's a pain to get back! We just ended up using the stairs most of the time.
*Wifi is ABSURDLY expensive and then doesn't even work. $25 a day for one device, So if my husband and I both wanted to be online we would be spending $50 a day. Our other two hotels in Italy had free access that actually worked.
*No gym even though it was advertised. My husband likes to have access to the gym, and apparently it is closed due to renovations. That happened to us once in Los Angeles and guess what!? They gave us passes to a gym close by. When we asked here they seemed annoyed that we would expect them to provide a service that they advertised.
*Terrible room layout. There was no dresser or drawers to put anything away, and the only place to put our suitcases was on the two chairs, which meant that we could never sit on them.

And then there was a situation about the breakfast....When we checked in for our three day stay, the man who checked us in said "Breakfast will be included in your rate. We will show you where the breakfast room is!" and the bellhop proceeded to take us through the breakfast room and tell us the hours it was available. The first morning my husband was asleep so I went and had the breakfast (which was a very nice buffet) and then left. The second morning we both had breakfast (he had yogurt and I had toast!). and when we were about to leave the waiter brought us a bill for 50 Euros. I told him that we'd been told breakfast was included in our rate and he went away again. He came back and told me that I had to go down to reception. This was embarrassing, obviously, but I did. The man that checked us in was there with a manager. The manager started telling me that I had to pay, I pointed out that the other gentleman had told me that it was included. The other gentleman apologized and said that he had in fact told me this, but then the manager told me I still needed to pay. Absurd. I told them that I wouldn't pay $75 a day for toast and yogurt, and that I wouldn't eat there on our last day, but needless to say I was done with that hotel.

The location IS great, but there are literally dozens of hotels within a few blocks that offer the same location, but with hopefully better and more consistent service. I hate places that act like they are doing you a huge favor taking your money!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Becky2010
GMHotelBrunelleschi, Direttore generale at Hotel Brunelleschi, responded to this review, 9 August 2011
Dear Mr / Mrs,

My name is Claudio Catani, the general Manager of the hotel. It would be helpful to understand who is writing just to be able to check Your review which is going on the opposite way of the last 5 reviews we received on Tripadvisor.
Not being able to check the paperworks of your booking (type of accommodation, day of arrival, etc..) I can only answer in general to your remarks :

1. A/c – we had no lack of a/c during the recent time
2. Don’t have any remarks of chemical smell in all the hallaways (did you visit the entire building?)
3. Staff not helpful and dishonest about work going on : We are proud of the service we render to our esteemed Clientele; I cannot give You any proper answer on this because I don’t know who is writing. Further more I want to say that it is very discourteous what you said about our staff being dishonest.
4. The elevator situation is something which is not a problem; I would like to add a passage of a travel agent’s review stayed in the hotel during this summer : …..”With an older building like this, the rooms were on several different levels and guests have to take a couple of different elevators to reach some rooms, though it was not an inconvenience and our group enjoyed the hotel as part of our wonderful adventure in Italy that spanned two weeks..”
5. Wi Fi : I use to travel a lot for business and I have not had the same good fortune; I always pay for wi fi connectivity; it is still discourteous your way to write ABSURDLY
6. No Gym : as you mentioned is duly advertised in our web site that the gym is not available. As this is not a lack of service we did not provide pass for another gym
7. Terrible room layout : this is something very surprising as 98% of our Clientele have left proven written notice on how they have liked our refurbished rooms
8. Breakfast : thank You for your comment of our buffet breakfast (very nice buffet); it is very strange that you pay a lot of attention to details and don’t know if your meal plan includes breakfast or not. Usually our Clients don’t ask if they have breakfast included or not, if they do we normally check the paperworks and give proper answer.

Best Regards,