“Hotel Brunelleschi”

Ranked #23 of 422 Hotels in Florence
Wadebridge, United Kingdom
“Hotel Brunelleschi”
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Lovely Hotel in superb location within walking distance of most locations in the city.
Spotlessly clean and spacious bedroom with well equipped and fully functioning bathroom.
We booked through BA and breakfast was included and was excellent with a good choice of fruit, cooked and cold dishes, cerials, yoghourts, bread and pastries.
The hotel staff were efficient, friendly and helpful. We really enjoyed stayng at the Brunelleschi.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
orpington
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Now firstly I do have to say that in my previous job I used to travel a lot all over the world and I've stayed in small hotels, B & B and top hotels as well. I tend to not be overly fussy as long as a place is clean and tidy and the staff smile that's good for me. BUT this stay was for our 20th wedding anniversary and was booked months and months ago so it was special. We booked the classic executive the lowest price room but still it was expensive for us anyway. I now realise we should have booked a bigger room and now looking at the prices we should have stretched the budget further as the room was small. We requested a twin ( my husband had a Gold medal in snoring and is impossible to share with at his own admission) but we got there and it was not a twin. The staff sorted it out later and changed the beds into a twin but this class of room ( classic executive) is cramped. The biggest niggle I had was that the bedside table is affixed to the wall and built in so unmoveable. I sleep on my front with my arms stretched out but you cant do this as you bang your arm on the bedside table the whole time. The central heating was set to ON with the control going from 17C - 20C and no way to turn it off unless you ask reception to do it from their computer ( as we discovered after a sweat box first night sleep). Yes we could have opened the window but this room (210) was onto a main thoroughfare and loud with people even at 2am in the morning so it was either heat or noise. Once heating was turned off it was much better. There are no drawers anywhere so you hang your clothes but not really enough hangers for 4 nights for 2 people and then you have to leave everything else like underwear etc in your suitcase. This is down to the size of room though hence saying upgrade bigger. I was surprised to read another review that said there was a spa as no one told us about that so we never went. Also the pull cord in the shower is not for the extractor fan but is the emergency pull in case you fall etc and are on your own but don't worry if you do pull it by mistake as we did as no one comes calling :-))

We got a free 3 course dinner in the hotel which as it was upmarket like the hotel we decided to use for our 20th wedding anniversary night. While it was good I was very glad we didn't have to pay for it as the prices are steep compared with other local places. The waiter mucked up my husbands food order completely so when the wrong starter arrived we pointed it out but for peace ( it was our 20th wedding anniversary meal after all ) we left it but then it kept on being wrong thereafter and the waiter couldn't understand how it had all gone pear shaped then once they did there was a lot of over apologising and then one of us was offered a free glass of wine ( we'd finished eating by this time) so I asked for a hot chocolate instead which was stone cold when it arrived and they still charged us the 7 euro for the small bottle of water we had. My starter was very funny with huge swaths of sliced meat, very plain picked vegetables and the biggest mozzarella ball ever it was a HUGE grapefruit size ball plonked on the plate. Quite ugly. The main course was nice but at 26 euros ( if we were paying) so it should have been. The dessert was fabulous wonderful ice-cream but then it appears the chef has entered ice cream competitions so maybe that's where the skills lie. The breakfasts in the dining room were good , the toaster is very funny and confused people but I gave it a go and the staff were very helpful. There is plenty to chose from and the fresh fruits were wonderful. The café latte was barely warm and we had to learn the Italian for hot to eventually get a hot cup on the last day but it was cappuccino instead. Be warned if you order tea with milk it is hot milk but there is cold milk by the cereals. The tea is weak even with two teabags and the hot water is hot not boiling so the tea doesn't draw well but its ok for herbal teas .

Most of the Reception staff are fantastic. We were given lots of helpful directions to places but I was surprised on another review on this site that that person had received help to book a tour of the Uffizi etc. We actually got offered nothing in the way of what services they offered. I do wonder now looking back if it was because we booked through a tour company and so they don't make much money on us being there. The receptionist on our check out couldn't find my credit card form they had taken on arrival ( always a worry to me when I cant destroy that form ) and after I pad the extra charges I luckily noticed she still had my credit card after handing my the receipt and I could easily have left without it. I wouldn't have minded but it didn't seem to bother her at all and she was not very enthusiastic in her farewells etc. We had asked her advice on something else before and decided not to bother asking her anything again. Again though other reception staff were wonderfully helpful.

The pros for this hotel are definitely the location. You are slap bang in the heart of it all and it was a great place to stay. Would I stay here again ? Possibly. The two lift business as mentioned by someone else is annoying and I didn't feel that for the money we spent it was top class but then again maybe we should have paid more and got a bigger room which may have made a difference. All in all it is a great location, a good hotel and I expected if you shoved more money at it you would maybe bump it up to very good or excellent. Did I feel it was a "special" stay ? no but it was a good stay.

Room Tip: Go larger if you can afford it and ask to me on the quiet side
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jandanjan
GMHotelBrunelleschi, Direttore generale at Hotel Brunelleschi, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Dear Guest,

We want to thank you for sharing your experience at the Hotel Brunelleschi with us. We can assure you that the information you have taken the time to provide us with will help to improve our quality of service.

All information and details that you have given will allow us to offer our guests a higher level of service. Your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated and valued. They give us the opportunity to reflect on the current situation and to broaden our concept of hospitality.

We are very happy to learn that you found most of our staff fantastic, that you did like the location and that the Brunelleschi is a good hotel and that you had a good stay.
On the other side I do apologize for the services/facilities which did not meet your expectations and assure you that they will become case histories for our training and audits.

We would be honored to have you as our guest again in the future and please feel free to refer to the feedback you have provided us with when you make your next reservation. Doing so will allow us to offer you a special welcome in what we hope will be your home during your stay in Florence.

Claudio Catani
LOS ANGELES
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Its ideal location makes it a perfect choice if you want to be close to every major landmark in walking distance in an always crowded historical center but feel also discreetly tucked away on a charmingly piazzetta.
The front desk persons are all wonderfully efficient, patient and helpful despite having to answer many questions from a first time visitor. The decor is unique and makes for a totally different experience as to access the rooms, you have to take two elevators usually. It is uniquely elegant and chic. My room 418, was stunning. Great parquet floor, excellent bedding, superb bathroom and was overlooking the Corso, narrow street. Room service was always the fastest I have experienced! And served very stylishly and food was simply perfect, always.
It all made for a perfect stay and one has only one regret which is not to be able to stay longer and leave, hoping to come back very soon.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank JPC57
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Spent Easter weekend esconded within the Panoramic Deluxe Room at the top of the tower with wonderful views over the skyline of Firenze. It is a charming setting with unrivalled views but does have a price tag to match. Its this pricetag which makes some of the occurences of the stay that much more frustrating. The Turndown service was pathetic, maid just comes in puts a mat on the floor, dumps some slippers on it and then leaves, no bathroom tidy up, no folding of clothes, gives you as a guest the impression of people who dont really care. Breakfast was next, ordeered a full English ie. Eggs, bacon sausage and they bring a plate of cold eggs, a plate of 25 or so chipolatas and a plate of undercooked flabby pieces of bacon, all completely inedible with only a cold cappaucino to wash it down with! Not inspiring for a relaxing Sunday Morning. (Check Out revealed that they want to charge 65 Euros for the pleasure even though breakfast was included!) One pain is that it takes about 5 minutes to actually vacate the building, a bit annoying if youre coming in and out 3 or 4 times in a day, have to take 2 elevators and endless walk. My last jip is that I hate it when staff stink of fags, it seems every member of staff and just drawn on a cigarette and every conversation i was having was either with someone chewing away on gum or with the unpleasant stench of fagbreath.

On the positive, Sergio the Concierge reccomended 2 great restaurants and sorted our tour of the Vasari Corridor and Uffici Gallery which was fab. Also the location is pretty dead on although Florence is so small that no hotel is inconvenient.

All in all i think the experience was disappointing, pity because the building itself is so charming...

Room Tip: the deluxe panoramic does have great views but is deceptively small, bathroom is on floor below whic...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
GMHotelBrunelleschi, General Manager at Hotel Brunelleschi, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for your very positive comments about our Concierge suggestions, our rooms and the location.

The Brunelleschi Hotel was built in three ancient buildings, one of them the byzantine Tower La Pagliazza. This architectural piece may be a bit strange, and therefore it takes more time to walk from the corridors to the main accommodations, on the top floor, with a view of the skyline of Florence. The only way to enjoy this incredible panoramic view is to walk five minutes through the Hotel ..

We do apologize if our breakfast room service, and the additional food & beverages you ordered, did not meet your expectations. We usually offer an alternative dish to our Guest if they are not satisfied, during the service.

The price of the room service and the meals were shown on the directory and on the bill you signed when the breakfast was served in your room, we are deeply sorry if it it wasn’t clear enough.

We also learned, at your check out, that you were not comfortable with the price of a Coke ordered from the room service; even if the rate was shown in our room directory and on the signed bill.

As our Client satisfaction is our primary commitment, the duty manager decided to wave the room service charges, even if both charges were duly signed by you.

We are deeply sorry if you had the impression that staff in charge of the turndown service didn't complete their daily duties. Most of our Guests appreciate our Housekeeping services at the Brunelleschi, as many reviews reveal, as well as the satisfaction audit on the housekeeping service that has an average of 93,1 / 100 points. / ( Review Pro source)

Claudio Catani
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 8 April 2013

This hotel is just so close to everything! If you want to save time traveling , you should stay here. Everything is walking distance away... shopping, duomo, great restaurants. I wish i can stay there longer! you need at least 3 days 2 nights in Florence, there is so much to see.. I am definitely coming back for more.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
East Amherst, New York
Reviewed 8 April 2013

This hotel is exceptional. It is tucked away on a typical alley-like street two blocks away from Piazza Repubblica, the best location in Florence. It's also one right turn and 4 blocks from the Duomo and one left turn towards the Arno. Amazing shopping (if that's your thing), including a block away from "the" only department store in Florence. Amazing restaurants at every turn.

The staff was so polite and dropped everything to be helpful. Our room was modern and verrry comfortable... great pillows and mattress. The bathroom was large and well appointed. The room also included free WiFi, a Keurig coffee machine, a flat screen television and a welcome bottle of Champagne. Breakfast, included in the room rate, consisted of a full buffet with many choices. There is an in-house Spa, as well. Because it is considered a historical building, it's a stop on walking tours so it wasn't unusual to have a small group of tourist outside listening to their tour guide while they talked about the Brunelleschi Family.

This hotel is a dream.

We will definatley stay here again on our next trip to Florence.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Ruiselede, Belgium
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We spent 2 nights in this hotel. The hotel has the perfect location to visit Firenze, you can walk to all the places to see. The breakfast is very good. We had one diner in the tower of the hotel. The food was good, but it was very cold in this place. They couldn't warm it, and thats not very pleasant for having diner. The room was small but nice.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family