“Gorgeous hotel, great location, but some "cheap" experiences”
Review of Continentale

Continentale
Ranked #39 of 422 Hotels in Florence
Vancouver, BC
“Gorgeous hotel, great location, but some "cheap" experiences”
Reviewed 4 September 2012 via mobile

I've noticed a theme in some of these reviews, and would like to echo with our own thoughts.

I first learned about this hotel about 10 years ago when I had a drink at the rooftop Sky Bar. The view is to die for. We managed to get some decent August rates (or relatively decent, it is still an expensive hotel) and so we enthusiastically booked for three nights.

The good - this hotel has a location that can't be beat, right on the river Arno and directly beside the Ponte Vecchio. The styling is its second strength - everything has a clean, 1960s feel to it. Linens are fresh and white, and the beds are the best we had in Italy.

Unfortunately it seems the hotel rests to much on its stylish reputation, and we had a couple of experiences that made us feel like they were just grabbing for our euros.

1) The breakfast, at 25 euros, is a complete ripoff. Sure, its a beautiful spread, but we're talking about breakfast here. You can order a la carte (if you ask firmly) and get just an omelette for about 8 euro. Do they really think that if I eat at the Buffett I will eat three times as much?? Every other hotel we stayed at in Italy included breakfast in the price.

2) The sky bar is beautiful, but with a confusing reservation system. We came up for a cocktail around 5:30 or 6 o'clock each night and noticed that the best tables always had reserved signs on them. By the time we would leave for dinner at 7:30 the tables were still empty. The bartender also had a habit of short pouring my wine. 8 euros for a glass of maybe 4 ounces. Where I come from wine ordered by the glass should be 6 ounces, 5 at the very minimum.

It just irks me when a business charges what it thinks it can get away with, rather than what it thinks something is actually worth. In their attempt to squeeze a few more euros out of my wallet they left a sour taste in my mouth. I may return one day, but not until I am wealthy and wasteful enough to light my cigars with 500 euro bills.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HotspurVancouver

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Spectacular but calm room - white drapes and fab views even of the far distant countryside. Bath facilities were awesome. I slept like I had not slept for weeks. Breakfast nice but far too expensive and the separate large charge felt like a rip-off - a hotel of this quality does not need to taint its experience for visitors and should change this.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jaffa36
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2012 via mobile

Mmmm. On the face of it this hotel is good. Great location, quiet and clean. However, there are things that are to be quite honest not acceptable.

Firstly the reception staff. If your face fits and you look the part then they couldn't do enough for you. Our experience was not good. They seemed to preoccupied with answering the phone, talking to other residents - even talking to each other.

Secondly the hallowed sky bar. On our first night in the hotel we decided to go and have a drink there before going out flr a meal - after all it was our wedding anniversary. On arrival at the sky bar we were accosted by a waiter. I said we just wanted to sit and have a drink...no can do. The waiter told me that this was not possible as the bar was full. Full? We are a resident...the 'beautiful people' (or so they thought they were) were not all residents...they didn't look like residents. We complained but to the reception that surely as residents we should at least have been given the opportunity to reserve a table in the sky bar. The receptionist did offer to speak to the waiter but to be honest the moment was gone.

I think to summarise there isn't anything wrong with this hotel. Well, nothing that a customer care course wouldn't solve oh and a lick of paint...some areas looked a bit tired. At the end of the day this hotel is marketed as a boutique hotel - indeed we booked through Mr & Mrs Smith. I think it is borderline boutique.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dajamieson
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 30 August 2012

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights the first week of August. I'll start with the pros:
• Great location on the Arno river right at the Ponte vechhio bridge, can easily walk to everything
• Nice rooms, comfy beds and good size bathrooms for a European hotel
• Nice Ferragamo toiletries in the bathrooms and hotel and rooms were very clean
• Hotel has a modern and trendy vibe and a great roof top bar/patio that seems to be the place to be with views of the city and cathedral

Now onto the areas for improvement based on our experience; we are in our mid-30s and pretty laid back travelers that typically don’t complain (hey, glass is half full when you are on vacation, right) just to give perspective to the feedback:
• I made our reservation through Kiwi Collection because they offered a few extras if you used your Visa card to book (e.g. breakfast included in rate, parking or food/beverage credit, room upgrade, etc.) The hotel seemed to have no knowledge of this rate and benefits. I had to ask for everything to be adjusted such as breakfast and the beverage credit. I felt uncomfortable b/c the front desk staff made me feel like I was being cheap or asking for things that were unreasonable so I didn’t even inquire about the room upgrade – wasn’t worth it. In the end they did honor the breakfast and food credit, but did not seem happy to do so. When a rate is advertised with certain inclusions, a guest should not have to ask for them and receive reluctance from the property. Seems like they need to have better communication with the brokers that sell their rooms.
• In general the front desk staff was stuffy and not very helpful ; if you inquired about something, they would help, but generally not very friendly. We stay at boutique hotels for a more personal touch, but didn’t get this here.
• The roof top bar is great and you need to have cocktails up there, but the service was terribly slow. We ordered a drink, finished it and waited another 15-20 mins before we could even get someone’s attention to order another. Keep in mind, the rooftop only seats about 30 people so it wasn’t because it was crowded.

Overall, the cons didn’t negatively impact our stay, but if you are a traveler who prioritizes hotel service, this may not meet your expectations. We also stayed at another Feragammo property in the countryside near Montalcino (Castiglion del Bosco) and the service was top notch! Best property of our entire 2 week stay. If you can swing it in your Tuscany itinerary, it was well worth it and makes for an unforgettable experience.

Room Tip: rooms on the river side have great views, we stayed in a prestige arno view room, rate was about 220...
4 Thank damen
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I stayed at the Continentale with my wife for 1 night in August 2012. I always had an eye on this hotel and was finally very glad I could stay there.

Arrival: Finding the Continentale by car even with the latest sat-nav turned out to be a challenge. There are many restricted roads leading to the hotel and even more 1-way streets. After we have been circulating around the hotel for 30 minutes I just got a taxi to guide me there. It saves you time and hassle.

Room: we got upgraded to a Ponte Vecchio facing room and had a nice view over the river. The rooms are slighlty outdated and could benefit from a make-over. The bed however was very comfortable and spacious. A nice feature is the giant mirror in front of the bed. I very much liked the Ferragamo bathroom amenities which came in large bottles. The shower is a bit small and the floor was a bit wobbly. We stayed at a very hot summer day and the A/C unit gets very loud during the night so that we couldn't sleep anymore after 3am. I reported the issue to the front desk but at this time there was only a night auditor on duty who couldn't really help. We raised the issue the next morning with the front desk and they happily agreed to comp our drinks we had at the rooftop bar and the mini bar items.

Service: the staff at the hotel was very friendly and we felt very welcome there. We asked for dinner recommendations and found a very nice authentic Italian Restaurant across the bridge 5 minutes away from the hotel.

Rooftop Bar: we came back after dinner and enjoyed a cocktail at the bar. Prices are a bit high but you get to view Florence from the top. Service was very friendly and the waiter went out of his way to get me some cigarettes as the hotel doesn't sell any. Good service.

Location: once you are at the hotel you can walk to most of the sights and shopping areas. The hotel is right in the centre of the city and of course just right next to the Ponte Vecchio.

Verdict: I would probably stay there again if would have the assurance that the rooms were updated and the A/C fixed. It's a very nice boutique hotel with a lot of charme.

Room Tip: Ask for a Ponte Vecchio facing room on the 5th floor.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 22 August 2012 via mobile

A comfortable boutique hotel in the heart of everything. Very comfortable beds. Room sizes vary from generous to a bit cramped. Similar to hotels in Scandanavia. Hotel staff is variable in helpfulness and friendliness. Breakfast in the small restaurant runs you 25€! Walk around the corner a half block and you'll find amble alternatives much cheaper. The best asset is its location.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Drocket
Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 20 August 2012

This hotel has a great location just next to Ponte Vecchio. You can walk to all the must see locations from this hotel and it is only a 15 minute walk from the train station. The room looked really good and was cleaned every day. The bed was very comfortable. The concierge is very helpfull but make your own online search since their advice isn't always the reasonably priced one. Go to their own web site to book a room in order to get a better offer than any other travel websites. We took an offer of 6 nights for the price of 5 from their website.

Room Tip: Go to their own web site to book a room in order to get a better offer than any other travel website...
2 Thank Yonca S