“Minimalism comes to Florence”

Continentale Firenze
Ranked #25 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 27 October 2013

For those of you who like Old World elegance, steer clear. If however you are looking for something on the trendy side, The Continentale is for you. I found it so spartan, that it likes character. However, the staff make up for the Ikeaish decor (it's not the best of contemporary furniture) with there genuinely warm personality...Bravo. I won't go into detail about driving into the pedestrian zone where the hotel is located. My GPS went crazy. I called the hotel and they guided me in step by step, like the Space Shuttle. My very comfortable room had amazing view of the Arno and entrance to the Ponte Vecchio. I sacrificed a view for lots of pedestrian street noise, which stops by 11pm. Many reviewers have complained about the 25 euro Continental breakfast, but for 13 euros I had an all you can eat breakfast across the street at their sister hotel The Arts Hotel, which also has an amazingly good Fusion restaurant. It was so good, I ate there twice. Very good cocktails too, and many locals, which is a good sign. Roof bar at the Continentale with spectacular views. I only went to have a look as I was very happy at the Fusion bar...! I would return as the location is perfect, friendly staff, and great breakfast. Oh, for their prices, I would have expected free bottle of water or fruit basket. Maybe on the second visit..!

Room Tip: Pedestrian noise not worth river view unless you are on top floor
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank didyoupackyourbag
Write a ReviewReviews (1,002)

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Continentale Hotel in Florence. Absolutely a must stay when in Florence. Superb location and hotel service. Rooms are a bit small but very well appointed and functional. Something to look forward to relaxing after a long day of touring !!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MFA117
PG C, Responsabile reception at Continentale Firenze, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2013

Thank you for the wonderful review! We are very glad you had such a pleasant stay with us! We truly hope you make it back in the near future, the next time doing our very best to offer you a complimentary upgrade to a more spacious room! Thanks again!

Reviewed 10 October 2013

Definitely stop by the rooftop bar for a drink and some snacks. You can see the whole city from here, and the ambience and international visitors are great. We went for the sunset and had so much fun we stayed until closing. And they have real potato chips (like you get in the US).
Enjoy!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KatieBusch2

Thank you so very much for the positive feedback and wonderful review! I am glad you enjoyed your experience at the Sky Lounge roof-top bar and hope you make it back on your next trip to Florence!

Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at the Art Gallery which is part of the same group which I enjoyed but the Continentale is even better! It's very cool and airy. Bedrooms in white and wood with cool curtains. Location is superb right by Ponte Vecchio and all sites are within easy walking distance. The rooftop bar is cool with amazing views across the city. The mezzanine floor has great relaxation zone and even the lift has cushions!Breakfast is good but a but expensive at €25. Staff are lovely so helpful and so stylish. Be lovely for a romantic break. Sadly I was working

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My wife and I were on our honeymoon from Australia. A wonderful hotel, very modern with great service. Beautiful rooms looking straight out onto the Ponte Vecchio. We didn't get to use the rooftop bar but is meant to be incredible. So close to great shopping and restaurants too.

• Stayed: September 2013
PG C, Responsabile reception at Continentale Firenze, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Thank you for the marvelous review! We hope to see you again soon, hopefully next time getting the chance to experience the rooftop Sky Lounge bar!

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Made a mistake with my dates so arrived a day earlier, so the sister hotel, Gallery Art checked me in to Continentale for a night and it's beautiful!!!!! My wife loved it. Private breakfast, contemporary art all over the hotel. Simply, gorgeous. I'd recommend to everyone.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hustla

Thank you for the lovely review! I am very glad to hear my staff was able to quickly and efficiently resolve the problem of arriving a day earlier and that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thanks again and we greatly look forward to welcoming you back to either of the hotels, Gallery or Continentale, in the near future!

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Loved this place! We stayed across the river at the Lungarno for 3 nights (sister property, also a Ferragamo Hotel) and then moved over here for the remainder of our trip because the Lungarno was booked up. It's sleek, hip, modern and in the best location for getting everywhere. We had a large comfy bed with white gauzy curtains around it. A postcard perfect view of the Arno and the Ponte Vecchio, but noice was not at all a problem with our windows closed. The views however were to die for. It was a river view deluxe room. The bathroom was amazing - separate room for toilet and shower so the mirror did not get all fogged up while hubby took his shower. And it was a really nice, big shower with glass double doors! Two big closets to unpack everything. Did not try breakfast here as we were getting up early to take the train down to Rome for the day. But I highly recommend the Sky Lounge on the roof. Superb ambience and views. Yes, the drinks are expensive and the service is s-l-o-w, as most reviewers have mentioned, but it is Italy after all. Perfect spot for after dinner drinks. Not so much a full-on sunset spot, there is the Piazzale Michelangelo for that, but a very special spot in it's own right. I had read a few reviews that talked about the horrible smell in the hotel and some of the rooms, but we did not have that in our room at all. I would suggest that if you booked this hotel and the room they give you does have the odor, ask immediately to switch. With the exception of one of the male wait staff at the Sky Lounge, we had impeccable service from every other member of the staff there - from restaurant suggestions to re-arranging our car to the airport to just being kind, and helpful. They were all smiles and very sweet. We asked for a wake-up call one morning and one of us most have knocked the phone off the hook. Someone appeared at our door to make sure that we woke up. That is service! I left a pair of earrings on the bedside table upon checkout and did not realize it until we were in our plane preparing to take off. Hubby called, they located them and returned them to me in the states within a few days. Wow, unheard of. I have left things in hotels before and somehow they just magically never found them. Loved the vibe, the room décor, the people, the location, the bathrooms... pretty much everything. Would stay here again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Ask for a light filled room with a view of the Arno on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank domrocsmom

Thank you for the incredible, and highly detailed, review! I am so very glad you enjoyed your stay with us! I am also glad you were able to experience the Sky Lounge roof-top bar while you were here! My staff and I here in Florence greatly look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Italy. Thanks again and hope to see you again soon!