“Overall Good But Some Issues”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Continentale

Continentale
Ranked #45 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Overall Good But Some Issues”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2008

Overall this is a great hotel - cutting edge / modern design and one of the most convenient and nice locations you could wish for. However, our stay was marred by a few issues. Firstly, the hotel charges you an additional booking fee (per person!) for any museum reservations they make for you. Given that we were paying close to E300/night I would think that the courtesy/service of making a simple museum booking (which lets face it, involves them making a quick call) would be included. What is more insulting is that they didn't even inform me that they would charge extra for this (had I known, I could easily pick up the phone and do it myself - as I did with another museum anyway - museum people all speak English so language is not an issue). Also, be careful of ironing - they don't give irons (I HATE when hotels do this) and then charge you over E20 to iron 2 basic items. Rip-off! Overall, I cannot fault the style, cleanliness, location. It's a shame about the rest.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Rimini, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2008

During the last saturday of september i was in Florence visiting some friends. We decided to have a cocktail at the amazing terrace of Continentale. This bar on the top of the hotel has great views over the Florence and the Arno river. You feel like you're over the Ponte Vecchio as the hotel is just in front of this beautiful bridge!
As it was very late and we didn't want to return home, we asked the reception if they had an available room for that night. The receptionist was very kind and we decided to book a room.. we had a great rate which included breakfast.
As i said, the hotel is beautifully located in the center of the city: Ponte Vecchio is "downstairs", and all the major attractions are walking distance. The modern design of the rooms and the common areas is out of this world: sleek and stylish (don't be surprised, the hotel owner is the Ferragamo family). Our room was huge, with a great and comfy bed and one of the bests showers i've ever seen. We loved it.
Breakfast was ok and well presented, but onestly i was expecting more..
If you like hip and modern design hotels, and if you want to stay in the heart of Florence, choose Continentale and you'll be not disappointed.

• Liked — Best location in Florence and great design
  • Disliked — Breakfast just ok, not as good as expected
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank interpol81
Frankfurt, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2008

Florence is known as one of Italy's most enchanting cities, with total population of just a bit over half million, this city plays a big rule in Italian Tourism sector – listed on 3rd placed as Italian Tourist destination, shortly behind Venice and Rome.

There are plenty options when it comes to luxury accommodation in Florence – such as: Villa San Michele, Hotel Savoy, Villa La Massa, Villa Mangiacane, Grand Hotel Villa Medici, - Hotel Bernini Palace, Helvetia & Bristol, etc – But from all of them, not one of them grab my attention - as they all have common appearance – a bit too classical.

I am interesting for something that is a bit different. Something that is central located with a modern appearance.

The Continentale Hotel comes as my first option for hotel accommodation in Florence - not only for it strategically and marvelously located by Arno River (overlooking the Ponte Vecchio and the Vasari Corridor) but also because its modern architect/style. As I discover that the property is part of Ferragamo group, I made up my decision immediately to try this property. After all, I want to see if this new trend of Designer collaboration in Hospitality sector (Bulgari, Armani, Versace, etc) really works?

As a part of Lungarno Hotels chain (so far 9 hotels) – this small design/boutique hotel (44 rooms) has been features in many travel and architecture publications. Designed by Michele Bönan this hotel was inspired by modern 50’s and 60’s theme. This property is also a member of Design Hotels group.

I booked a deluxe room as this room type has 3 great windows and offered wonderful view of ponte vecchio, vasari corridor and arno river. The room is lavish in white color with sheer –draped beds and light wood furniture mix with leader and steel.

Arrival process was just standard – there is a lack of self initiative or personal touch in check-in procedures. This is very sad consider that this is a small property – which mean that the hotel personals actually have more chances to provide wow services. The agent does not even acknowledge regarding the purpose of the trip (special occasion, etc), what we had requested in advance and also what is included with room packages that we booked for. Our welcome amenity is not in the room upon arrival – and it was not there a few hours later after we return back in the room. We do have to call the reception to ask regarding our welcome amenity. This is just a lack of attention – especially for 44 hotel rooms.

The Breakfast is acceptable, the selections are limited but they are well presented. The Restaurant agents are very pleasant and helpful. I rate overall breakfast as “STANDARD” because during 3 days there - the buffet breakfast selections appeared the same. They should at least consider about making a bit variety / noticeable change on their buffet presentation– ex. Different fruits / cakes / muffins, etc. It does not take much to make small things great and attractive.

We had a chance to dinner at their sister property restaurant (Borgo san Jacopo – at Lungarno Hotel). The restaurant is small but great. We have requested an outdoor sitting by the patio (small – only 4 tables) with a beautiful view of Arno River. The food presentation and quality are above average but not over the top (again I believe it is just a matter of personal taste).
The service is acceptable and professional. One thing that came to my attention – I noticed that some agents gave warmer/friendly approach towards few other guests (native Italian speaker) – I wonder if the difference in service approach are because of the language barrier or while the others are more VIP/regular guests???

Whatever it is – I feel that they should give everyone a warm welcome feeling despite of the differences circumstances/conditions. I believe that is not only the food that makes a restaurant special – but the whole combine experience (food and service).

Departure process was a bit nightmare – the agent (who is manager on duty) gave me very unprofessional attitude. When I discovered later on at the airport that there were some mistakes in the room bill – I called the hotel back immediately and brought it up to his attention. The agent stated that there was nothing he can do as he already reminded me to verify the bill clearly upon departure. I do understand his explanation , but we all human and sometimes we might not give full attention especially when we are in hurry (which was my situation). As I understand, in most hotel (even the 3 stars holiday inn ) the guest can always contact the hotel back anytime should there is any questions regarding the bill.

I found his approach is unprofessional and so have no consideration – Was surprise me the most was this is come from managerial level. I was surprise to even hear his suggestion that I have to write a letter in order to process the claim - in which will take approx. a month to process the adjustment. The hilarious part is this claimed was about the welcome drink in a bar which was included as a part of our stay package (Hello ?? ). I believe he did not even aware that there was a "GLITCH" upon arrival that the welcome amenity was not in room upon arrival. At this point I decided to end up the conversation as i do not want to waste my time.

Later on I received an emailed stated that they will credit back the amount dispute – no sorry or apologize for the mistake. It show how unprofessional, and the funny part the email was not come from him but from one of the front desk agent/concierge.

Even though the service is AVERAGE , I have to be honest that this property is a good one in term of – central located, modern design/architecture and offered some wonderful view of Arno River (not all rooms).

I believe this hotel will be a great option for them who are not looking for some attentive services – or who are not very into services oriented. For them who is well travel and have hotelier perspective – then I will be better to try some others – such as the new Four Seasons Hotel Florence, the Savoy, etc.

PS: There is a new Modern approach - called Riva Loft (www.rivahotel.it) – the location might be not central, but it has very attractive architect/design approach.

Will I be back to this hotel ??? probably not .

• Liked — Location and its modern decor
  • Disliked — the services
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank luxadvisor
Thessaloniki, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2008

Excellent choice, best service, kind and helpful people

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2008

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights at the beginning of our honeymoon, and it was fantastic. The hotel is located in an ideal location just on the bridge and river, but they managed to make the rooms peaceful with minimal noise from the outside world.

The rooms are luxuriously decorated in white, which made for amazing nights of sleep - perfect for the much-needed rest after the whirlwind of our wedding. The rest of the hotel is a lot of fun - interesting lounges and reading nooks, and it never seemed too crowded. The overall feel of the place was urban and sophisticated. We didn't get to see the outdoor rooftop bar area at all unfortunately since there were private events going on all nights that we were there - and the bar was not open during the day, so that was the one minor disappointment. Nonetheless, we loved our stay at the Continentale!

• Stayed September 2007
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Continentale in June 08 for 4 days. It was perfect for what we wanted; central to all the main sites, trendy hotel, spacious room and a good breakfast. When you are in Florence you aren't in the hotel that much however it is important for us to stay somewhere we feel comfortable.

It is very cool fashion boutique hotel. The concierge was extremely helpful, booked all of our restaurants and never complained when we changed the dates and times repeatedly.

i have heard that in Florence hotel rooms are small but ours wasn't, it was a great size and we paid the lowest rate. We didn't have the view over the river but that didn't matter because as soon as you step outside the hotel you can see it.

I used the sauna which was fabulous after a long day shopping and sight-seeing.

Unfortunately we didn't get to sit on the hotel's rooftop terrace as it rained for the 4 days we were there.

Would have loved a bath but our room only came with a shower.

We asked for a double bed but we got two singles pushed together. We could have asked to change rooms but once we were settled we didn't bother.

The rooms have CD players so take CD's or you can plug your iPod into their system.

You have to visit Villa San Michelle. the most stunning hotel i have ever seen, it has the best views of Florence. We ate lunch there which was lovely but you don't need to, you can just as well have tea or champagne in the grounds to take in the setting.
We visited the discount stores: D&G and Prada. Half price bags - the same stock as in the shops. My boyfriend bought 9 shirts and 3 belts!

• Liked — Trendy boutique with cool interior. Central location.
  • Disliked — no bath in our room and two single beds instead of one double bed.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank emanda
Athens
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2008

My husbant and I had an unfortunately very short stay at this wonderful hotel. Perfect location! The room we stayed was spacious, very clean and simply but slylishly decorated. I cannot express any special opinion about the service of the hotel (I didn't need anything special) but I can say that the stuff was very polite and helpful. We would definitely go back sometime.

• Liked — Location, decoration, room view
  • Disliked — slow-moving elevator
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple