“great hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #72 of 421 Hotels in Florence
england
“great hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2008

Booked this hotel after reading other reviews, Cannot fault the hotel at all, good location, nice room, lovely bathroom all very clean and tidy and the breakfast was more than adequate. I would highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here again. Advice to anyone travellling to florence by train you must get you train ticket validated at the yellow ticket machines before getting on the train. Luckily we had read this on the internet but other people even though they had train tickets were fined 20euro each which we thought was terrible and very unfair on tourists who do not know the system

• Liked — location and cleanliness
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Forest Hills, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2008

This hotel is on a street that is a short walk from the train station. The street is full of cheap looking hotels but, while the Alba doesn't look like much from outside, once you step in, you see that it is very modern and stylish. It is very clean and our room was decent sized. The only potential problem I could see was that the shower stall was on the small side and, although it was not a problem for my wife or myself, I could see a seriously overweight person having difficulty maneuvering inside. My wife and I loved the place and it is a great value. I doubt you can find a nicer hotel in Florence for the price they charge

• Liked — Location near the train station where there are buses to the airport
  • Disliked — Shower stall size
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JamieNYC
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2008

I thought the pictures of Alba looked great, but didn't believe it would be as nice.

We arrived. It was 5 minutes from the station, just like they said. Easy enough to find (across from the Best Western Rivoli). We got buzzed in and shown to our room (#001). My jaw dropped. I couldn't believe it.

Beautiful exposed brick, flat screen TV, big clean bathroom. We walked to the bed and turned around. WHOA. An iron railing led up to the loft of the room. Two extra beds, more exposed brick, another flat screen TV, and high vaulted ceilings. It was beautiful. We wondered what was behind the door there. Of course it was a large, private, open-air terrace. Perfect for star gazing or relaxing with a cigarette.

This hotel was so nice for the price, and with only 3*, we wondered why it was so much nicer than the other 4* hotels on our trip! The rooms were bigger and nicer, it was cleaner, the breakfast was better, than all the other hotels we stayed in in Italy.

I would recommend this hotel to ANYONE. For a romantic trip or just a cheap stay near the train station. You can't beat this value. And people scarcely believe my description until I show them the photos. Truly amazing.

• Liked — It was more beautiful than any other hotel on the trip, and much cheaper than all of them.
  • Disliked — The hotellier (who welcomed us at night) only spoke Italian and couldn't recommend a nice walk for us because of the language barrier. All daytime staff were fluent in English.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
NZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2008

We stayed here for a night and would highly recommend it to anyone wanting a reasonably priced hotel in a good location.

Since we were staying only a night , and travelling by train, we wanted a good basic hotel within easy walking distance of both the station and the "sights" of Florence . The Alba is only 5-10 minutes walk from the railway station, and about the same distance from all the main places we wanted to see on our whistle-stop visit to Florence, so was perfect for us.

When we made the booking (direct through the hotel website) it seemed amazingly cheap (115 euros for 2 of us) given the photos on its site, so we were prepared to find that the reality did not match the photos and descriptions! But no ... it really was as good as the site suggested !

The hotel looks as if it has been recently decorated. Our room was lovely - quite large and with a very good bathroom. The breakfast is in a light -filled, covered central courtyard and was probably the most extensive breakfast of anywhere we stayed.

The front desk staff were extremely helpful and were happy for us to leave our bags before our room was ready on the day we arrived and until we left mid afternoon the next day. The only slightly disconcerting thing was that the place bags are left is in an alcove off the foyer open to anyone - but they were quite safe.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2008

My family (party of five) and I stayed at the Alba at the end of Sept to early Oct. and would stay here again if we return to Florence. The service was wonderful and the staff were friendly most of them spoke English; Maria our cleaning maid who does not speak english but her big open smile and her efforts to understand you with gestures makes up for it, the lady who serves in the breakfast room during the week and Sara the front desk person to mention a few made our stay a pleasure. We had rooms 101 and 400, which is on the 4th floor, elevator only goes to the 3rd fl but the walk up the short flight of the stairs to the 4th was worth it. Both rooms were very comfortable, lots of space and hot water. Room 400 is a triple and being 3 girls sharing it, the double sinks were heavenly. We had a bird eye view of the Duomo from the window and the bathroom also has a window and the sunlight streaming in makes it bright and cheery. I cannot find one bad thing to say. Initially we had a room on the first floor that did not have a bath, just a shower with a curtain round it and very high toilet seat which makes me think it is for handicapped persons which if it is, is wonderful. We asked for a change and the very next morning we were given the spacious room on the 4th floor.
Everything is within walking distance and the train/bus station is just around the corner. There are lots of places to eat and little shops where you can get the basic such as water, wine, grocery, etc.

• Liked — Rooms, staff, location.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
Austin, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2008

I was very pleased with the Hotel Alba. It was just a short walk from the train station, and I was able to easly get there with all of my luggage.

I arrived before check-in time, and I was advised that my room was already ready for me. I booked a single room, however, I was pleased to learn that my room included a king bed, as well as a single bed. Too many beds for me, but my room was much larger than expected. I was also pleased with the bathroom.

The hotel was very cute and very Tuscan, and it had a nice bar area and a great courtyard. The employees were very pleasant and courteous and willing to help with maps, recommendations, etc. The Duomo and most other destinations were within walking distance.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again...the price was right, the location was great., and the staff was courteous and welcoming.

• Liked — Friendly staff, large room, price and convenience to train station and historical sites.
  • Disliked — I had trouble with the wireless connection in the room, however, the hotel has a business center with free internet services.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
Sydney Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2008

Taking a Family to Europe on holidays required us to undertake many hours of research into suitable Hotels for our Children. Hotel Alba is a fantastic Hotel and if we travel again we will stay here once more. The Room rate is reasonable as well when comparing to other Hotels in Firenze. We stayed in Room 001 which has a split-level design accessing an outdoor patio. A very good Hotel and I would recommend this for any family. Close location to train station which is 5-10 minute walk. Breakfast is good too. Free internet access that was popular. We can not write of any negatives.

• Liked — Room size
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family