“I friendly recommend the Best Western Hotel "Select"”
Review of Select Hotel

Select Hotel
Ranked #334 of 410 Hotels in Florence
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 31 March 2013

The hotel is a typical older hotel near the heart of Florence - safe, old, residential neighbourhood.
We spent 3 nights at the hotel, in March 2013. Even if they say its location is not far from rail station, we couldn’t find it very easy. The hotel’s location is in a quiet district, quiet street far from the crowds of the city. Even if it is not located in the center, you can easily get there by bus 22 from railway area.
Very clean and spacious room, big windows and curtains with blades to keep dark. Our room was facing the main street but being a quiet area we were not disturbed by the traffic. Old furniture but well maintained in the room with comfortable bed. A big and modern bathroom was a plus. The housekeepers really do a great job, cleaning the room and changing the towels everyday.
Very kind and useful and friendly staff, they helped us with a lot of information about how to get in the city easily. But the maximum points get the breakfast! Very good with a large variety of bread and food (fruit and natural yogurt, jam and honey, butter and margarine, 2 different kind of cheese and the same for ham, boiled eggs, cereals, fruit, different kind of pastry with/ and without fillings, good cappuccino and coffee and a very good juice! I didn’t use the internet (Wi-Fi), so I can’t give any info about!
I friendly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mara2305
98169, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Select Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2013

Dear Mara2305,

thank you very much for all your praises for our Hotel.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay, the city, the Hotel staff everything.

We are happy when you are satisfied, that's our job, therefore I hope to see you again soon here in Florence!

Reviewed 26 March 2013 via mobile

Nothing bad about the hotel very very helpful staff.... Excellent rooms good morning breakfast just a bit far from the station but easily accessible but bus no 22 or 23....... Keep up the good work......

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Adigarud
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I stayed at this hotel two times last year and last time for 4 nights with my wife.
For sure hotel's location is not steps from major tourist attractions but in my opinion there are other factors that drove me to take the decision to stay there ... take a look below:
- Hotel is Best Western chain and it helps for those who used to stay in hotel chains;
- Hotel is Clean and Staff are great (very very helpful. I'll describe in details);
- Room and bathroom are quite big, very good;
- Breakfast is Italian average, very good;
- If you're driving, there are good spots just around the corner;
- To go downtown, 10 minutes walking and 5 minutes bus... very easy;
- There are nice options in terms of restaurants near the hotel. These restaurants are not tourist traps;
After my stay in Florence I rented a car to visit Tuscany small cities and on that time I had 3 big luggage. My car was the smallest one and Hotel Staff recommend me to leave my luggage at hotel (without any charge) and when I come back after my Tuscany drive and before taking the train to Venice I could take the luggage at hotel and continuous my trip. This was so nice.
I recommend this hotel because of the qualities that I listed. If you do not match with my description, do not stay there.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank fredpio

Dear Fredpio,

Thank you very much for completing the guest survey:

your description of the hotel matchs with reality. I am glad you enjoyed your second stay by us, now we wait for you a third time then.

Hope to see you soon

Reviewed 24 February 2013

Room is clean but with strong odour of bleach. and it is dark even when you turn on all the light. The strongest image for me is that it is so far from the travel attractions. Not recommend to foreign travelers although it is with cheaper price. Breakfast is not good enough, there is not much options on table even though it is buffet style of breakfast. 這家酒店離觀光景點與車站非常遠,非常不適合帶有重大行李的旅客,非常不方便。房間裡充滿了漂白水的味道,而且即使開完所有的燈都很暗。早餐選擇很少。

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank heronix

Dear Heronix

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

Nevertheless I would like to point out that our Hotel is situated 900metres from the main train station. Everything is written clear in every sites.

Reviewed 13 February 2013

We arrived at the train station and got on the bus line that I had planned out earlier. We got off at the closest stop to the hotel, which was still kind of far. We each had a large, heavy suitcase and the sidewalks were pitted asphalt or cobblestones. We found our street, walked down it in one direction. Our address was 24. We see 20, 22, 28, 30. The guidebook says they're not always in order, so we keep walking. Nope. How about the other way? Okay, the looks more promising, OMG, there it is! We arrive, check in, and make it to our room.

The room is fine; we had a king bed instead of two twins, a desk, an armoire, a TV, a luggage and a big window. Our key was a real key (in Rome, it was a card), attached to what looks like a weight, and weighs about a kilo (2.2 pounds). We searched the room for a safe, but couldn't find one. I looked through the directory of services binder for the Internet login and saw that there is a safe listed under amenities. Where was it? We found it! It's in the WALL. It's just a metal square in one wall, next to a painting, and it has a keyhole that would use a medieval skeleton key. Yep.

Upon arrival, we were starving, so we searched the Internet for local restaurants. We spent almost an hour doing this - the Internet is spotty and kept bumping us off. Finally, we gave up and thought we'd just explore the neighborhood. We walked around our hotel in a 3 block radius in all directions and found NOTHING. So disappointing! We went back to the hotel, asked the front desk for a recommendation, and he gave us directions and a business card. Those directions... Not so good. Or we didn't understand them. Either way, it was confusing and long, but we found the restaurant. And it was closed! Because it was only 6:30, and restaurants don't open until at least 7 here. We saw a sign for a pizza place down the street and they said they didn't open till 7:30! After 10 minutes and no sign of life, we gave up, walked back to the hotel and decided to venture out again after 8.

This location is okay. It's residential, and a little "urban" - we felt relatively fine walking together at night from the bus stop, but we wouldn't have ventured out alone. It is pretty far from the City Center, definitely not walking distance.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank ichbinseins

Dear Ichbinseins

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations.
Just few things: the closest bus stop is at 800metres from the hotel.
Florence is a small old city, and originally wasn't planned for tourists carrying large suitcases, We do apologize.
Furnishing in the room have to keep the same style of the whole Hotel, so that works also for keys, instead of cards, and safe inside the wall.

I am really sorry you didn't apreciate the old tuscany style, nevertheless I really hope to see you again soon, my Best Regards

Reviewed 26 October 2012

We stayed here for two nights in July 2012 because we wanted to be within walking distance to the duomo. In Italy you can generally park on the streets for free if you park in stalls painted white but not in this neighborhood because it was parking for only the residents. Parking behind the hotel cost 16 euros per night. The nightly cost of the hotel was already a lot without also having to add another 16 euro. The decor is old (and NOT a nice antique type of old) and our room was small and smelled musty. Our mattress was smaller than the box spring and there was very little room on the sides of the bed. The air conditioner didn't work on the "low" setting and the "medium" setting was very loud. The breakfast was modest but good. If you like to walk, it is a good location with access to the train and the duomo. We actually walked all over Italy in our two days there because we didn't want to have to drive anywhere. If we go to Florence again, we will stay someplace else.

Room Tip: We will choose a different hotel next time
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 2oil6

dear 2oils

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 24 October 2012

The hotel is in a residential area west of the railroad station, about a mile from the heart of the city. A cab was needed for people with limited hiking ability to get to or from the hotel. Rooms were of decent size; our two friends could join us in our room for an evening drink of wine, showing unusual room size. The elevator was, as is common, small. There was no bell man helping, although a desk person was always helpful. WiFi was free, but was working very poorly, off for two days; the hotel's phone had been off on the day we arrived, and went bad again at another time, probably being the source of the problem for access to the Internet. Breakfast was decent with good coffees and juices plus enough fresh food to snack each morning. An open window over the street allowed a good breeze that helped keep heat down, as there was no air conditioning, apparently standard during October in Tuscany. Rain a week ago followed by warm days resulted in mosquitoes which sought us when our window was open. Bags had to be hauled up to rooms or back upon leaving by us. A small, cold and empty refrigerator in the room's desk was a bonus. The hotel was average, adequate in which to stay. The problems of phones and WiFi made it marginal during the time we were there, and the cost of cabs added up by the time we left.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Dunsmurian,

I am glad you enjoyed your stay in Florence somehow.
Our Hotel staff is always helpful and try its best to help you out.

Hotel is located 1km away from city center, but it is well connected with city bus and the cost of a ticket is only €1.20 one way, and they runs everyday til midnight. After that, of course you need a good walk or a taxi to come back to the hotel.

I am happy you enjoyed your rooms, and if you want to give us another chance we will be more than happy to show you our improvements.