“I definitely expected more”
Review of Select Hotel

Select Hotel
Ranked #311 of 421 Hotels in Florence
GreenLeadersGold level
Geneva, Switzerland
“I definitely expected more”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Relatively inexpensive and in a quiet area conveniently close to the centre (Porta al Prato, vicino di borgo ognissanti) this actually is an hotel in my neighborhood. This is just to say how uncomfortable I feel to criticize it. I had my best friend staying there for my wedding, and was pleased that the staff was so nice and helpful.
I did select an executive double room and therefore had some expectations: a modern, large room with all amenities. What my friend ended up staying in was a hole in the ground floor, musty and smelly, and less than convenient. For a bit more than a 100 euros in the peak season, it is not much, but I am sure the management can pay a little more attention onto these annoying details that make a huge difference: putting a room number above the door (to avoid us chasing that room for ages), making sure it is aired before the guest arrives. Other than that, I think this is overall a reasonable bargain. Will definitely try it again next time relatives and friends fly over to visit

Room Tip: not the 512 in the executive part of the building. To be avoided at all costs !!!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank GwenFirenze

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
sao paulo
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

Our room wasn't ready at checkin. We has to wair 30 minutes! It was really tiny for 4 people. Awful bed and pillows. Lousy location. Definitely not a Best Western standard. Don't stay there!!! Worst room old and smelly. Stay away!!!

• Stayed July 2013
98169, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Select Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear Carmosaop

We are very sorry to read your survey though we really thank you for having done it.

Let us point out some things: our rooms are always available for sure afeter 2 o'clock pm. In the case clients come earlier, we do let leave their luggage in our storage room.

Every room is checked by BW periodically, and also if you didn't like the room, the front desk team would have done the best to help you out and to solve the situation.

Most important the location, we are sorry you didn't like but actually once you book a hotel the first thing is to look on a map to see where it is situated.

At the end we do feel sorry if you did not like our hotel because we work at our best to satisfy our clients.
Regards

Travellers are raving about these Florence hotels

Santa Ana, California
Reviewed 13 July 2013

This location is not centrally located and costs 12-15 Euros one way by taxi to go to the city center (walking is a a good 20 min hike). The worse part of the hotel is that it is mosquito infested. We all got bitten so badly that we missed one full sightseeing day as we could not sleep. Definitely will not stay at this property.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SantaAnaFellow
98169, Guest Relations Manager at Select Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Dear SantaAnaFellow,
thank you very much for completing the guest survey:
On behalf of the management and the front desk staff, I am extremely sorry to hear you had a bad experience by us.
The Hotel is not located in the city center, it is 1km away from the train station, a bus ride would cost €1.20 and the bus stop is just five minuts walking from the hotel.
I am very sorry about the mosquito problem, unfortunately it is a problem which is not possible to control, but for a deposit of €5.00 at the front desk we provide stuff anti mosquito.
I hope to have you again here in our Hotel
Kingsport, Tennessee
Reviewed 15 June 2013

This was the only hotel in Italy we rented through a travel agent. He told us it was 3 star and near the center of town. It is not that close to the center of town and while it may technically be 3 star, it was the worst 3 star I have ever seen. We made the mistake of prepaying for two days. They gave us the worst room on the ground floor: it was small, smelly and noisy. When we complained the next day we received a better room, But why the games? Why not a decent room from the start. Staff varied from formal to snotty. The moral of the story: do your research.

The breakfast room was downstairs and quoted dreary. Again, the worst and least appetizing of the four hotels we stayed at in Italy.

Avoid

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Retiredguy101
Dear RetiredGuy101
on behalf of the management and of the front desk staff we are sorry you didn't enjoy your stay by us.
Our Hotel is 1km away from the main train station, 15 minutes walking, or 10 minutes with bus #22 maybe your travel agent was wrong?
We do hope you could give us another chance to proove you how confortable could be your stay by the Best Western Hotel Select.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 25 May 2013 via mobile

On a 12 days Italian trip, this was the worst hotel!! After the first - and last - night at the hotel, my question to the unfriendly person at the reception was if the room we got it is usually used for persons or for their companion pats. I'm sure the space was initially destinated for storage. The breakfast was really poor and the Internet was not functioning!!!They might have better rooms in this hotel, but booking with Expedia, this is what we got!

Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Dandana11
98169, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Select Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Haifa, Israel
Reviewed 23 April 2013

We went to this hotel because it was located close to the business purpose of our trip.

The room was nice and practical - but nothing more.

The water in the shower were not hot enough for me - that was the only thing that really bothered me

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Noam H
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

I feel sorry there was a problem with a shower, maybe knowing it we could have fixed it
If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thank you again for taking the time to complete the survey.
Durham, Canada
Reviewed 7 April 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Select in Florence for 9 nights in March. I had a wonderful experience in this hotel. The staff was very helpful, the room was clean, the washroom was a good size with a nice shower, and the beds were comfortable. The Wifi did not work on the day that I arrived. They were most apologetic, and they had the repair people come right away. The wifi worked well for the rest of my time there. The breakfast buffet (which was inclued in the price) had a nice selection of juices, coffees, teas, buns, bread, cold cuts, cheese, cereals and more. It was a great start to the morning. The staff were more than happy to answer all of my questions. One night at 3am I came down to the lobby because I was feeling sick and they got me milk and something to eat from the kitchen. Now that is what I call service! They made the call to book a day trip that I requested and gave me detailed directions how to get to the city centre (can take bus 22 or walk about 20 minutes). When I asked for somewhere to have dinner in the area, they recommended a pizza place (that the locals use, not an overpriced tourist trap) that was a ten minute walk from the hotel. I enjoyed a delicious pizza and it was very reasonably priced. I feel that I received excellent value for my money by staying at The Hotel Select. Yes, I could have booked closer to the city centre and cut down on my walking time, but that would have cost a lot more. So I stayed a bit out of the city centre at this wonderful hotel that felt more like a B&B. The staff would give me my key and ask about my day when I returned each evening. I very much appreciated this personalized service and would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank ELiz5
Dear Eliz5

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.
I remember you ver well and it was our pleausure to have you here as guest.
Hope you come back very soon there are still a lot of things to see in Florence.