“Not bad for a night or two, but wouldn't stay longer” 3 of 5 bubbles

Select Hotel
Ranked #307 of 421 Hotels in Florence
GreenLeadersGold level
West Roxbury, Massachusetts, United States
“Not bad for a night or two, but wouldn't stay longer”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

Maybe it was just our luck, but our room was underground in the "executive" part of the hotel. We had one window near the ceiling that I wanted open because it was too hot in the room, but couldn't keep open because it was raining and with a window at ground level and no screen, i was concerned i'd get stray critters looking for shelter from the rain. I was also quite peeved that maybe because we were so far underground or because we were just far away in general, but we didn't have wi-fi in our room. We had to go to the lobby, so I'd assume the rooms that are in the same building as the lobby would also have wifi.

The breakfast was actually pretty good, and apart from the shortcomings of the location of the room, the location of the hotel is good. There is a bus stop a couple blocks away and a taxi from either the train station or downtown Florence (duomo area) is less than 10 euros.

Room Tip: The 'executive' part of the hotel is separate from the main part of the hotel. I'd proba...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Zoya K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

Internet sucks in italy in general ...but honestly I think 3rd world countries can do better than that... fire the IT support immediately... breakfast... the worst I've had so far in italy..nothing is fresh except for the yoghurt maybe...overall...cheap but still not worth it

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Daniel L
98169, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Select Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear Mister,

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us

Travellers are raving about these Florence hotels

Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

We just returned from a lovely vacation in Italy. We stayed at several Marriott properties because my husband is a rewards member. The last two nights, while we had rooms reserved at a Marriott, we used all our points so we planned to pay for the last two evenings.
We had reservations at the AC Marriott in Florence our last two evening but we felt it was a little too over-priced for the area so my husband booked the Hotel Select.

I wasn't too sure about staying here because many of the reviews were a bit negative. While the Hotel Select is not a high-end hotel my any means, it is very clean and comfortable which is what's important. We were visiting our daughter who is studying abroad so we were running non-stop during the day and evening. All we needed was a CLEAN place to stay.

I probably wouldn't have picked this hotel because it's older and a bit further away from the main attractions but again, it was clean so I was fine with that.

The air conditioning worked very well. They offered free breakfast but we didn't eat because we were up and out the door each morning prior to breakfast.

The down-side of the stay had to be the beds. They were hard as rock. We travel to Mexico a lot and Mexico is known for having hard beds... These were much worse. My husband thought we were sleeping directly on the box spring - in fact he double checked to ensure there was a mattress on the bed:-)

All in all = okay hotel for the price.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Wiscmo
København
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

I have been staying at many hotels the last five years. I know that you don’t get the best hotel, if you use 100-150 Euros pr. night but this is for sure the worst hotel, I have ever visited. Many hostels are better than this.
And why is that:
Aircondition is not working. The air is hot. What’s the point then?
The toilet was not clean, when I arrived. It got better.
“Free wifi” – Are you kidding? The WIFI is not working half the time. You can’t even upload a picture to Facebook or Twitter, and every 5 minut you have to tab in user and password. Not impressed.
The breakfast – Included in the prize but it does not mean, that it has to be that bad:
- The fruit is far from fresh. For instant two kiwis I looked at today was so soft, that they smashed in between my fingers.
- The bread – It feels like it is from yesterday or the day before. Not fresh. Very hard and to be honest you would not give it to animals.
- Vegetables – Non at all
- Milk – Hot
- Healthy thinks to your bread – Nope.
Power points is falling out the walls, and because it’s an old hotel you can use a normal adapter to you laptop. That means, that you have to find a new adapter, if you want to use your laptop. By the way: There is only one power point to use in the room I had. Not much, if you are to people who would like to charge you phone during the night.
3 stars? You must be kidding. I won’t give you a single one.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Rasmus B
Dear Mr,

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at .

Chennai
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

Stayed 2 nights on vacation (trip covering Florence, Venice & Rome). First the good things - Hotel Staff were friendly & helped in booking our Museum Visits; Breakfast was simple but ok; Now for the things I did not like - Very ordinary room; water leaked from AC unit on the first night & the solution from Hotel was to keep thick towels below the unit! Location - Not easy to find on first visit (with public transport). Bus No. 22 from Florence Main Railway Station; Stop - San Iacopiano (I did not find this info reg Stop anywhere in the previous reviews or Hotel website & had tough time locating the hotel). Not worth the price, but ok if other options are very expensive.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

1 Thank Konguvel P
98169, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Select Hotel, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Dear Mr Kounguvel.

I am sorry to read you did not enjoyed your stay by us.

Unfortunately as you can imagine problems happen everytime, and I believe my staff did its best to solve the problem not being a handyman.

I am glad though that our guys, helped you booking trips and museums, in order to make your stay confortable

Nevertheless we do hope to see you again here in Florence
Cupertino, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

This hotel was nicely decorated. Very good breakfast. Room was well sized. Friendly staff. Overall I liked it a lot.The parking was easy to find around, if not, you can ask for the hotel parking at a reasonable cost. Also walk a bit to get great food from a nearby supermarket. Take bus to go to Duomo, don't walk, you may get lost.

Room Tip: I think any room is good.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SailenSaha
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

Stayed in the hotel for few nights. I like the hotel even though it was a little bit dated but still looked quite charming with a great sense of classic and history.

LOCATION: very poor location and very far away from the city where most of the landmarks were. The neighbourhood around the hotel was very quite and full of residental building and house. Stores around were usually closed early; so if you are looking at places to hang out late or visit at night, it is not a good area for that.

ROOM: Compared to my friend's room with one double bed, my room with two twin beds were extermely tiny and uncomfortable. We did not even much spaces for putting out packback and stuffs around.

BREAKFAST: Love their breakfast. A good variety of food items to choose. I enjoyed it a lot.

SERVICES: Well, I don;t think the servcies were too impressive. Some staff members were very helpful; some were not. If you stay in such residental areas, you may expect the staff members may fill you in about how and where to get the stuffs (e.g. laundrymate, etc) that you need when you were in the hotel area.

OVERALL: Good palce to stay but too far away from the tourist areas. Some staffs are willing to help but some were not. I may choose to stay in somewhere else next time when I return.

Room Tip: better to ask for a room with more space.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends