“Staff are all fabulous, but.......”

Hotel Villa Gabriele D'Annunzio
Ranked #250 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Chippenham, United Kingdom
“Staff are all fabulous, but.......”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Hotel is well situated for those who prefer to stay away from city noise. Its near two bus routes the 10 and 17. The former route ends at San Marco Sq. which is a 5 minute stroll from Duomo and Florence's attractions are all then reasonably close by. The 17 also stops at the square but then heads on to finish at the railway station. In fact the railway station is only a 5 minute brisk walk from Duomo. For 6 Euro each you can get a bus from the railway station to the airport. WE had cabin sized suitcases so used the 2 buses to return to the airport with ease. A taxi will set you back 35 euros or more.
We visited the hotel in August. It doesn't really want to offer an evening meal unless you are part of the numerous coach tours that used the hotel during our stay, so you have to head out into the residential area that surrounds the hotel. Thing is almost all are shut in August. We were told we had a choice of 2! We frequented I Guigollo about 1 mile away (see separate review) or ate before returning from Florence or day excursion.see Cante de Nell and i Florence, Shushiko Sienna) also see Patisserie Cesar locally
The coach parties can be an issue, we got fed up with them by the end of our stay, as some leave very early in the morning (like 0630) and sadly some cultures just don't seem to include any thought for fellow guests so we were very regularly disturbed by kids screaming and running along hallways and their parents shouting after them at 0600 and 0700. They also tend to swoop on breakfast like locusts, so choice of breakfast can get restricted assuming you can find a table to sit at that has clean cups and cutlery. One also ends up tipping the coffee and milk urns up on their stands to get the last drips of the urn into your cup.
The outdoor pool isn't overly user friendly; people tend to mess around and 'bomb' other occupants, in addition despite the very hot weather it remained absolutely freezing, so we gave up using it.

The rooms are good size and thoroughly cleaned each day which was a major plus for us. As we said the staff were great without exception.

Our final gripe is that the hot water system isn't reliable. Our shower and sink tap ran piping hot then freezing cold regularly and without warning, necessitating when showering to lean in and out of the shower head in an attempt to avoid being scalded or receive a nasty jet of cold water. We reported this twice to hotel staff and promised it would be checked out by maintenance but nothing happened whilst we were there

we'd like to score it higher for the sake of the staff, but the water issue, pool and irritation of coach tours stops us from doing so

Wifi worked ok and is free

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Hebrew first
  • Slovak first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Pleasantly situated away from the centre of Florence overlooking the city but with easy access by the No 10 bus to the centre (tickets from reception) from just outside the hotel. Good room although a little small with a small bathroom with shower. Pleasant, helpful reception, good buffet breakfasts although crowded at times with groups. Room was on the front overlooking reception and could be noisy in late evening due to groups gathering outside. Dinner here is probably limited but there is a good restaurant (il Piacere) just 5 minutes walk away. Would stay here again when visiting Florence.

Room Tip: Ask for one not above reception!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tunku41
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Arrived at this hotel at 11 pm on the very beginning of August 2013.. with no reservations. Just for a night stay to sleep on a comfy bed, shower in a clean bathroom and eat. There is nothing I can say bad about this hotel! They accommodated us quickly with a room, and because it was next to the kitchen, the rate was discounted. The hotel looks gorgeous from the outside and inside it's just as beautiful and inviting. The room had the view of the courtyard, very large and very clean. Breakfast was amazing!!!! so much fresh food nicely displayed. It was hard to just eat one thing. There is a barrista to make you fresh espresso or cappuccino too. I feel bad, I cannot remember the name of the pizza joint that is open till 1 am and it's only a block away from the hotel. But if you ask the concierge they will let you know! Pizza from there was amazing! I don't understand people that visit towns and eat at the hotels. Breakfast I understand but other lunch/dinner meals you should try going outside of the hotel and walk a block or two. you wont be disappointed.

Room Tip: if you like to sleep in, don't get the room next to the kitchen. I was up before the kitchen sta...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dani D
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

If you know your way around Florence, or can get a taxi/public transport then this is a great hotel. It's not too far away from everything.
I stayed here on tour and ended up phoning ahead for an early check in as i was sick and wanted to sleep. They arranged it no worries! Very grateful. The grounds are lush, green and open; all the rooms are decent sized, well heated and modern. Heated towel racks and a well designed bathroom. Possibly the best stay on my tour because of how comfortable the rooms were! I had a room with roof to floor french doors that viewed the main entrance/courtyard. Very quiet even though it had a few buses in it.
I highly recommend!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Annalise S
Royal Wootton Bassett, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for Moto GP in Mugello. On the right side if Florence for travel to race. Good sized bedrooms. Very clean. Nice and quiet. Breakfast wasn't amazing. The coffee was poor and tasteless and not really a lot of choice. Would defo stay there again tho

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kay3110
Israel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

We booked for this hotel for 4 nights for our stay in Florence.
We arrived at midnight with our 1 year old son and my parents in law and the minute we entered the lobby the receptionist started emidiately apologizing about having a problem with some rooms due to mantainance .... He didn't even have to complete his sentence in order for me to understand as i have seen a review before about the same issue and unfortunately I decided to ignore it, it seem's to be the hotel policy to overbook and leave midnight guests without a chance even to choose where to stay, they've sent us also to the same hotel in the previous review (Ricasoli hotel apparently form the same group) and with a baby sleeping on my hands after 4 hours drive from the airport we had no choice but to accept!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Arooj L

Travellers are raving about these Florence hotels

Wick, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

This was my third hotel in a week- and the luxury treat before I flew back to the UK. Or so I thought. It's built in the site if a former convent and as I looked down from my window I was convinced I could hear the Eagles Hotel California playing- it has a very California, relaxed mood to it.

The four stars get you a location too far from the centre to walk, but a pool, and a great gelaterie a block away. Staff were nice, especially the lady on the desk who changed my room when I pointed out I was desperate for a room with a bath. (Three days of culture had taken their toll on my poor feet). There wasn't a good restaurant nearby, so I stuffed my face with ice cream to compensate.

Like all Italian hotels, this one had a tiled floor, and I've yet to get used to sleeping under a single sheet. Next time I'm heading for five stars in Venice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bath
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo