“Dream of a Stay”
Review of Hotel Monna Lisa

Hotel Monna Lisa
Ranked #91 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I am still pinching myself that I have just stayed in what was once a medieval palace. From the moment we stepped out of the taxi and into the entrance we were enchanted with this beautiful hotel. All the staff without exception could not have been more welcoming and friendly. Nothing seems any trouble to accommodate your requests. Special mention must be made of Vincente the barman who is a fabulous character and so warm and friendly. Our room was spotlessly clean and beautifully furnished although I do understand what some others have said about it being slightly airless. I think nobody wants to risk the dreaded mosquito bite! Breakfast is delightful, plenty of choice, a setting to die for, and amusing extremely efficient service. The hotel is so lovely that you would choose to come back after a day of sightseeing just to sit in its comfortable spaces with one of Vincente's special cocktails!

Florence itself is to die for. I would thoroughly recommend purchasing a Firenze Card which enabled us to skip ALL queues and give us great value for money. I am aware that we went at a quieter time so I am not sure how good this would be in the height of the season queue-jumping wise.

The hotel is in a PERFECT location. Turn right out of the hotel, right again, and you are looking at The Duomo.....10 minutes walk.

If I am lucky enough to return to Florence I would not want to stay in any other hotel but the Monna Lisa.

Room Tip: We stayed in Rooms 58 and 59 at the back of the hotel. Lovely and quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sue T

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Excellently located. Walking distance to attractions, but quiet. The room was a bit too warm even at this time of year without air conditioning. The setting and gardens are great. Plenty of common space also and the hotel is spacious in general.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I booked the Monna Lisa sometime in December due to the great reviews and the wonderful look of the place. I had booked it as part of a weekend where I proposed to my girlfriend. After looking at the site again I asked to be upgraded as I thought it is a special weekend and maybe a bit of space will be a good thing. I contacted the reception and a wonderful guy called Gabriel dealt with me swiftly and mentioned they were heavily booked and he would see what he can do. Well he surpassed all expectations. After greeting us at reception and taking us immediately upstairs to a beautiful room that was nearly as big as my apartment. To say my now future wife was impressed it was an understatement. Together with the first rate service and the stunning hotel. I can only say great things about Monna lisa Florence. To the team there from Monika and myself, Grazie Mille.

2  Thank Lee H
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

Pros: Location, friendly staff especially the night receptionist and the barman and breakfast staff, old city atmosphere
Cons: Not air conditioned, some mosquitos. We drove here Assisi and driving through Florence was a nightmare! Hotel is on a one way street with a dead end...took us over an hour to get from the lobby to the back of the hotel to park! Overall this was a great hotel, but don't drive if you can help it!

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I booked a stay at the Monna Lisa Hotel through Gala Hotels last July for a four day stay in August. I cancelled the first night within the proper time frame. I never received a refund. I tried contacting Gala Hotels well over 15 times because reaching them at the London number which was listed was nearly impossible. The phone would ring without anyone picking it up. The two times I was successful in reaching a person, they promised they would take care of the refund, but nothing was ever done. On two other occasions, my call was answered by someone in Turkey even though I called a London number. I enjoyed the Monna Lisa tremendously and would stay there again even though the bed was quite hard. However, I would NEVER EVER USE GALA HOTELS as a booking agent. I was not treated honestly.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
Reviewed 14 March 2014

My husband and I spent 3 nights here on our 10 day Italy trip. The hotel is only a 15 minute walk from the train station. But, grab a cab when you get there to take you to your hotel. Only 10 to 15 Euros. Then once you get the layout of the city down, you can walk everywhere in 15 to 20 minutes. The duomo and cathedral is only a 5 minute walk from the hotel. We weren't particularly impressed with the hotel itself, but the staff was excellent. Our hotel room was larger than we expected and comfortable, but the noise from the other guests made sleeping difficult. It's an old building and the walls are thin. Our experience with Francesca and Irene at the front desk was excellent. They booked us last minute reservations for the Accademia and a day trip to Siena and Pisa, as well as had an iphone charger for me to use. As in a previous review of our hotel in Rome, the temp in our room was set at 24 degrees celsius = 75 degrees F...too warm for me, so we just left our windows open. No big deal. Florence is a quiet city and we enjoyed our stay there, lots of shopping options, especially leather stores. I didn't particularly enjoy the food there, as much as we did in Rome. As stated previously, we booked a day trip to Siena/Pisa which was excellent!

Room Tip: Friendly, helpful staff, but noisy rooms.
2  Thank Pam F
Reviewed 10 March 2014

The hotel itself is beautiful and in a great location. We found the reception staff bit of a hit and miss, depending who you got on the day. Some are a lot more helpful than others.

We had a room overlooking the garden, and im not sure if this is why we had mosquitoes. I had read about it before on some other reviews, but decided to go with it anyway. We used the plug provided by the hotel, but me and my partner got bitten quite a lot. I have about 8 bites on my arms, and causing me a lot of discomfort now.

The beds were a bit uncomfortable, we requested a double, but got 2 singles put together which had a big dip in the middle. WIFI only available in main areas, and not rooms, which is annoying.

Overall, if there weren't mosquitoes the stay was ok. But for the price we paid, I don't expect to leave with mosquitoe bites all over.