“"Loved this hotel!"”

Ranked #1 of 421 Hotels in Florence
San Rafael, California
“"Loved this hotel!"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

My husband and I loved Hotel David! I had heard about it from a friend who raved about it so I booked without checking with Trip Advisor. Only when we arrived did we learn that it was rated Number 1. We had planned to stay 2 weeks in Florence and 1 week in the Tuscan countryside but decided to spend all 3 weeks of our vacation in Florence because of Hotel David. It had so many amenities that made it fun and worthwhile.

Hotel David has spacious rooms with large, Vietri-tiled bathrooms. The rooms were warm and cozy in spite of the bitter cold outside. The staff could not have been nicer and gave us detailed suggestions each day of places to see and provided maps. We found the restaurants they recommended were better suited to our tastes and purse than those we researched or were told by others to try.
Hotel David has a social hour where we met with travellers from around the world and some we have kept in contact on our return. The breakfasts with the eggs, bacon, fresh fruit, cereal, baked goods and delicious coffee were a morning pleasure.

The Hotel David is just outside the city center where driving is prohibited. When we rented a car we were able to park it at the hotel and it was easy to leave Florence from the Viale Michelangiolo where it is located.

We look forward to visiting Florence and staying at Hotel David again!

6 Thank Marinwanderers
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear Guest,

I thank you for your post and for sure we remember you! I'm happy you carry good memory of your stay in Florence and of the David too!
Gabriele Cecioni

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Darwin, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

My fiancée and I stayed 5 nights in this gem of a hotel. The hotel is an old villa that has been renovated and is deceptively modern and spacious inside. It is clean, friendly, comfy and incredible value for money.

The hotel is set a bit further from the main sights of Florence than I would normally prefer to be. It is a 2km walk into the historical part of town, about 25 minutes for us. That said, the walk is stunningly beautiful, along the banks of the Arno river with views of the historical buildings and surrounding countryside; we did not mind the walk at all. There is a taxi rank and bus stop right outside the hotel too if required. The hotel staff recommended some restaurants nearby; we tried two and both were quite good.

We stayed in a double room. The room was spacious, with a high ceiling and full length windows through to a patio balcony. The ensure bathroom was modern, spotlessly clean and slightly larger than in other hotels we stayed at in Italy. The bed was comfortable and I was pleased that it was a proper queen bed rather than 2 singles pushed together as seems to be the norm here. The windows had electrically activated roller shutters to shut out the light and road noise when needed. The mini bar in the room was free and restocked daily.

The hotel had a small, but nice common area next to the lobby with some couches, chairs, computer terminals for internet, tv and an honesty bar containing soft drink, coffee, snacks and various types of alcohol. Wi-fi was free and gave a clear signal and good speed both in the lobby and our room. There was also a sizeable patio backyard area that I believe is used in summer.

Included in the price of the room was breakfast, apertivo (pre-dinner snacks & wine) and after dinner liqueurs. All were excellent. The breakfast was buffet style with cereal, toast, eggs, ham, etc. Apertivo consisted of a spread of snacks along with wine, beer and fruit juice. The snacks weren't as nice as you would expect at a proper apertivo bar in town, but still appreciated. After dinner drinks consisted of a tray with various liqueurs and chocolates. All three combined to bring the hotel guests together to socialise and gave the place a real hostel vibe (in a good way). We took advantage of these most days we were there.

The staff were all helpful, friendly and professional. All that I met spoke English quite well and most spoke a third language which was impressive.

We loved our stay and actually extended it by a couple of days as we were having such a good time. The hotel may not be for everyone, if they want close proximity to the sights and high levels of luxury, but it was perfect for us and we wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Col95
Dear Guest,

I thank you for review, I'm happy you had good time with us and you took advantage of most of our services.....
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

Beautiful quaint hotel! Friendly staff, great service, delicious breakfast, and complimentary happy hour! Can't beat that! Conveniently located, approximately 15 minute walk to city center. Also, bus stop right outside front door. No question we will stay here again on our next trip to Florence!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank richtermk
Dear Guest,

I thank you for your post I'm so happy you had good time with us and I'm sure next time you will find some new tips we already have in our mind.
Little Elm, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

We traveled to Rome, Italy for a wedding and when looking for a place to stay in Florence for one night. I went with Trip Advisor's raving reviews and boy, are we glad. When we arrived, our room was lovely - with a little cake and a welcome note from the staff. It's the little touches that really make a good impression.

The staff are super helpful and friendly - they held our bags for us while we ventured out the next day since we were only staying one night and had checked out the day we were exploring. I'd like to mention, we didn't return to the hotel for our bags until late afternoon and they were in no rush to turn us out while we sat to relax/check our train times on our laptop for a few minutes before calling us a taxi to take us to the train station. Even told us to help ourselves to a soda or drink in the fridge. Very appreciative of this.

The hotel itself is charming with a cozy living room area, iMac computers for internet usage (usually expect antiquated PCs in small wee hotels) and a lovely kitchen where you can enjoy a complimentary happy hour with snacks every evening. Sat and chatted to several fellow travelers over a glass of wine - loved it! Oh and a decent selection of channels on the television when we turned in for the night. Breakfast is included in the rate and it was served in a nice breakfast room - hot American breakfast, pastries, coffee + juice. Perfect!

Rooms were clean, bathrooms were modern (our room has a large walk-in rain shower, not sure if the other rooms were different) BEST shower I had during my entire stay in Italy! The location of the hotel is just across the river and we took a leisurely stroll to all the sights so the proximity is great.

I know - sounding like a broken record here amid the great reviews but seriously, pick Hotel David to enjoy Florence. We were so disappointed we didn't have a longer stay!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Samantha C
Dear Guest,

Here we are another last minute traveler who stopped by at Hotel David.......here is good also because we are off the restricted area zone and still close enough to walk downtown in 20 minutes to get to Ponte Vecchio but remember there is also a bus to the center that takes 3 minutes!
Taibon, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

Was on a road trip and needed a place to stay one night while in Florence, checked Trip Advisor and saw this hotel as No. 1 so gave them a ring when we were one hour away from Florence. They speak good English and were able to give a lot of useful information over the phone. On our arrival we got free parking inside the premises, our reservation was intact; we were checked in and found our bags waiting in the room when we went up. They have beautiful rooms, clean & quiet with incredibly high ceilings, a nice big bathroom, free mini bar and there’s even English channels on TV. The service was efficient, breakfast was buffet and delicious! We were able to walk to many attractions in Florence from the hotel, there are lots of places to go, things to see, nice restaurants and shops. We were so comfortable we were really tempted to extend our stay.

3 Thank CWeryl
Dear Guest,

Nice to see that also smart phone users generation of travelers were happy with us and I'm sure that many others will follow!
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

It would be easy to think that surely a hotel cannot be as wonderful as the reviews - but it is.
From booking (and arranging my transfer from Bologna) to checkout this hotel makes for a wonderful holiday experience.
Checkin was friendly and easy and my room - with a terrace - lovely. Unfortunately the trees were covered for winter but the weather was clear enough to stand and enjoy the view.
Room was spacious and the bathroom very modern (which I like). Bed was very firm but surprisingly I slept very well - and it was a double bed mattress not two singles together which is usual in Europe,
It is the service that makes this hotel stand out. The pre dinner aperitifs and food were lovely and it is great to be able to socialise with other guests. I met some lovely people over the days I was there.
After returning from dinner there are post dinner drinks - amaretto etc. - and more socialising among guests. However, socialising is not mandatory and if you want to keep yourself to yourself you can - no pressure.
Breakfast was very good with additional items such as eggs and bacon (not part of usual Italian breakfast) available. Very good coffee.
Particular mention should be made of Maria - who served during breakfast and seemed to supervise the pre dinner drinks. She was hardworking and efficient but also very helpful and friendly. She was a favourite among the guests when I was there.
That is not to say the other staff were not - I never encountered anything but helpfulness and friendliness throughout my stay. I didn't take down all names but Cristina and Micael were two of the staff who made my stay what it was.

I could not imagine a better stay and was sorry to leave.
If you are visiting Florence stay here if you can.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

I thank you for your post I'm so happy you had good time with us and I believe I will have the pleasure to welcome you again soon.....
Harpenden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

Without wanting to repeat too much what others have said, you simply will not be disappointed with this hotel.

The staff are friendly and helpful, and the hotel itself is cosy and has very spacious rooms given the location. Whilst not being right in the centre, the location is good as the main attractions / museums are only a 10-15 min stroll up the side of the river and it is surrounded by a number of good restaurants, including a couple of very good value, traditional trattorias that are relatively tourist-free. These are much better than the over priced, average quality places in the centre of florence.

The drinks and snacks laid on by the hotel are great and the free min-bar was an nice touch. We even received a free gift when leaving!

These guys are number one for a reason!

Room Tip: Triple rooms are very spacious and do not cost much more than doubles.