“I never write reviews but .. now Wow..”
Review of Hotel David

Hotel David
Ranked #2 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Montreal, Canada
“I never write reviews but .. now Wow..”
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

So I'm in the hotel lobby right now enjoying the free drinks .. And all I can say is wow .. This hotel deserves the 1st place in Florence by far. From the moment you get in , you get blown away by the staff , the little attentions and the quality of the stay. As the title says it , I never write reviews but this hotel is really amazing. Free breakfast, free minibar, free drinks pretty much all night, free parking , free wifi, free parking, the list goes on.. It might be a little more expensive than the rest of Florence but this is way worth it!! I wouldn't think twice if I was you, I would just book it honestly!!

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Manellehed
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear Guest,

I thank you very much for your words of appreciation we feel very special and you confirmed to us that we are going in the right direction!
Gabriele Cecioni

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Downham Market, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

I know I'm going to be in a huge minority with this but just want to give an honest review of our stay here I'm not trying to be controversial in any way.

Ok well when you're staying in any hotel the fundamental thing you require is a good nights sleep, we stayed for 3 nights as part of our honeymoon and are both now sitting on a train to Rome exhausted after getting very little sleep at all during our stay. There is no soundproofing whatsoever, none, you can hear everything that goes on around you. Light switches, people talking, people showering, people going to the bathroom and yes people having very loud sex...

The room was very hot and the air conditioning was not working (room temperature was 25 degrees) so we opened the window, this resulted in us both being eaten alive during the night by Mosquitos and this was in January! Not pleasant.

The breakfast offered was basic, there was the option of eggs (fried/scrambled) and bacon but it wasn't cooked to order and depending on when you came down for breakfast it was for us on two occasions cold and dried out. There was the option of a fresh coffee though which was very nice.

So that was the negative parts of our stay there are positives also! The staff were very friendly and helpful, the front desk in particular. The rooms are big with a great bathroom (excellent shower) and a good sized bed (memory foam).

The mini bar is free and is restocked daily with water, couple of beers, coke and an orange drink. The drinks on offer in the happy hour were also very good.

Another positive is the price at 120 euros a night for the size of room we got was cheap but in retrospect would of preferred to have spent a little more and got a better nights sleep.

The location is also a very nice 20 minute stroll into town and a 13-15 euro taxi ride to the train station.

So that's our experience like I said not trying to be controversial, just being honest it has been the weakest part of our stay across Europe which is very surprising considering how highly rated it is in here.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
22 Thank neil2k
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear Guest,

I wish you had a full satisfaction........I wish I had the opportunity to make your stay better than you had....but I had not! It may happens to dislike a room for many reasons but we are at the reception 24 hours for a reason and it's good not to forget that hotel room are to sleep basically and if you are unable to sleep a solution has to be found and we are there for that reason.
This was originally an old house and despite our best efforts we are unable to be as efficient as you would expect from us for soundproof performance!
My only regret is that I could have done something if you had come to me during your stay!
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We booked a Triple room for 6 nights in January 2014 and wanted to try this hotel based on previous TripAdvisor reviews. We certainly were not disappointed! This hotel simply goes those extra yards that other hotels need to aim for. The room included a HUGE king size bed + an elegant single. The beds were extremely comfortable and the room extremely clean and tidy and very well appointed. The cost of the room also includes access to the minibar (at no extra cost), + happy hour (6.30-8.00 pm) in the sitting room where you can have a glass of wine or two (plus finger food) and meet other guests. This is followed by a free evening aperitif (including brandy) between 9.00pm- midnight). The sitting room has wonderful modern art and mood lighting is available. Breakfast includes hot bacon and eggs + a range of meats and cheese + yogurt and fruit, Cappuccinos are made to order on the spot. All the staff are amazing! Extremely helpful and considerate of your needs. The location on the south side of the Arno is in a quiet neighbourhood, but not more than a 25 min walk from the heart of Florence (there are lots of buses if required). This hotel is rated Number 1 in Florence and I can see why. It truly was sad to leave. Without doubt the best hotel we stayed in during our month long stay in Italy

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Palaeo1
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear Guest,

I thank you very much your words of appreciation I'm so happy you had good time with us, sometimes people do not understand that behind this job there is so much work and your words give us the right mood to keep going.... always been conscious that we cannot please everyone!
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Loved everything about this hotel. Outstanding staff that greeted us on arrival. Information provided on local transport into the centre. Exceptional breakfast, happy hour drinks, parking, ambience, overall value for money!!! Highly recommend the Hotel David.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Aaron T
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear Guest,

I thank you for coming to stay with us! We have been working hard to provide for you our best compromise between quality and prize possible for us!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We stayed at Hotel David in January of 2014 for 3 nights. The hotel is easy to find if you are driving and they have free secure parking, which is very convenient as you don't want to drive in Florence! I needed directions and emailed the hotel before hand, they answered my emails promptly and gave me very detailed driving directions. The room is large by European standards, mini bar is being restocked every day and it is free, they have happy hour in the main room where one could mingle with other travelers. The hotel is 10 min walking distance from the walls of the old city, about 20 mins walking from Uffizi. Everyone at the reception is very nice and super helpful with whatever information you may need - restaurants, museums reservations, etc. We loved the hotel and would stay there again if we are in Florence!

Room Tip: We had a room that faced the road, and having a window open at night was not very good option since...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank OlgaFg
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear Guest,

I thank you for coming to stay with us, I'm so happy to stay you had good time with us and as you noticed we are located outside downtown but not off in the countryside so consider that if you sleep with the windows opened it might not be the best solution for lite sleepers!
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 16 January 2014

My husband and I were thrilled with our stay at Hotel David on our honeymoon. Our hotel room was large and sunny (sometimes hard to come by in European cities). We enjoyed hanging out in the lobby late at night talking with other guests. Although a bit further from the sites in Florence, we enjoyed the walk into the city each day, and found the value to be very worthwhile.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank allisonanana
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Honeymoon.....what a nice occasion to come and visit Florence! I'm so happy you had good time at the David and if ever you will think abut a place where to celebrate your anniversary.....we are here!
Macungie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Our biggest disappointment was that we only reserved this hotel for two nights. The Hotel David is a gem. If you are looking to stay at a hotel that makes you feel like you are being welcomed by a family member then this is the place you want to stay. The property is homey and the complimentary breakfast and happy hour were a delight. We also took full advantage of the complimentary drinks and snacks provided in our room. Most importantly the staff was so friendly and kind. They answered any questions we had and could not have been more helpful. One example is that we arrived at the Hotel David with dead batteries in our camera from taking so many photographs in Rome. I asked the young lady at the front desk where we might purchase new batteries. She asked the owner about where to send us and he proceeded to reach into a drawer and present us with new batteries. We aksed how much they cost and he said just go enjoy taking more pictures in Florence. Service way above and beyond the call of duty. In Rome and Venice we stayed in much more expensive and exclusive hotels. They were quite nice but in all honesty we could have been in any city in the world in a luxury hotel. The Hotel David was unique and you truly felt as if you were absorbing the culture of Florence while staying there. We were fortunately enough to have a third floor room with a balcony that overlooked the Duomo. It was November and not extremely warm but we made time during our visit to have a glass of wine on the balcony and just enjoy the breathtaking view. If you want to be in the center of the city, then this might not be the best choice for you but if you want a place that is a quiet retreat at the end of a busy day of sightseeing and you would enjoy a nice walk along the river to begin and end your day then I recommend choosing the Hotel David. There is also a bus stop close by if you want to eliminate the walk to or from the center of Florence. We found the location very convenient. Our greatest wish is to return to Florence and we would definitely stay more than two nights the next time we visit the Hotel David.

Room Tip: Higher floors provide exceptional views.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Cathy R
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear Guest,

I thank you for your review I'm so happy you had good time here at the David we are working so hard to provide something special and your words of appreciation give us the right feeling to continue to improve and make this place every day better than the day before!