“The best place to stay in Florence”
Review of Hotel David

Hotel David
Ranked #1 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 3 May 2014

While we were planning our Spring Break trip to Italy, my wife found Hotel David on TripAdvisor. The ratings were very high, so we contacted them and booked two rooms for my wife and I and our son and his friend.

Even with all of the info available via the Web, you still wonder when the taxi pulls up to a hotel, "Will this be as nice as I hope?" Hotel David was everything the reviews say it is. The staff is very friendly, the hotel and rooms are spotless, and there is a charm about the place that made our stay very pleasant. A few notes:

> The rooms: Our rooms both had balconies, which were nice at the end of the day -- with a glass of wine and some olives, watching the evening go by. The ceilings are ~16 feet, so it feels like a grand hotel from another age. The bath was recently updated and nice. Everything was ideal.

> The hotel: Located close to the Arno, you are away from the tourist crowds -- with a short and nice walk along the Arno to the Ponte Vecchio, the Uffizi and Duomo. An ideal location.

> An evening in the garden: Every evening, most of the guests wander down to cafe tables in the garden, with free wine and antipasti. This was a very pleasant way to end the day, after long walks through the museums and sights of Florence.

> Local restaurants: The Hotel David is located in a nice residential area, with a number of local restaurants that serve real Italian food to real Italians -- not the tourist trade. This was a fun experience. The hotel offered good recommendations and we had two favorites: Trattoria Gigi and Vecchia Osteria dal Nacchero. Trattoria Gigi is a wonderful family restaurant (don't miss the Torte de Nona for dessert), and the food and service at Osteria dal Nacchero is fabulous. Both are easy walks from Hotel David, through a safe neighborhood. No taxi required, which is nice at the end of a long day.

> Basilica San Miniato: Don't miss the Basilica San Miniato al Monte, which is is just up the hill near the Piazzale Michelangelo -- a very nice walk with the best views of Florence. The church is magnificent but not well known. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Miniato_al_Monte

> Side trips to Ferrari and Lamborghini: While we were researching our trip, I found that Florence is close to Bologna -- and the home of Ferrari, Lamborghini and Pagani. New high speed TrenItalia trains will get you there in 35 minutes for 30 euros. If you like cars, this is a great day trip. Here is the best guide on the planet: Francesco Bini at www.Motorstars.org My son and I had an unbelievable day -- including driving a Ferrari F430 on the Autodromo di Modena race track, a tour of the new Lamborghini family museum with Fabio Lamborghini, and a tour of the Pagani supercar production line. Amazing.

In short, Hotel Florence is the best place to stay in Florence, with wonderful service and an ideal location.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mark Hays

Room Tip: We reserved rooms with balconies, which were very nice.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Mark H
HDavid, Proprietario at Hotel David, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear Guest,

I thank you for coming to stay with us and I'm so happy you had good time and for sharing all your tips with the tripadvisor readers!
My best

Reviewed 2 May 2014

The Hotel David is an excellent choice for a couple of days in Florence. It is well situated although not right in the middle of the tourist chaos. It is a quiet, well-kept and well-appointed oasis just a short bus ride or nice walk away from central Florence. The staff are super friendly and helpful. WiFi is perfect. Breakfast is tasty. Free beverages in the room were much appreciated. The hotel was very safe. The price was fair for Florence, a very expensive city.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
HDavid, Proprietario at Hotel David, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear Guest,

I thank you for trusting us and for choosing hotel David for your holidays in Florence! I'm very happy your had good time and I can assure you we will do our best to keep reasonable rates with a lot of free services!

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Like all the other reviews, it must have been the best service I've received. Very welcoming staff at reception and throughout the hotel. We stayed over easter weekend. Initially planned for 3 nights but right before our departure, we had to cut a day short. I called them to inform and they were very easy about it, no extra charges or anything, just charged us for the 2 nights. We booked the "Small Double" but we must have been given an upgrade as the room was quite spacious. If room 18 was indeed a "Small Double" the regular rooms must be quite big. However, room 18 is right next to the breakfast room and you can hear the breakfast room from as soon as they open. It's quite annoying to wake up because of plates clinging and stuff. Breakfast itself had a nice variety. The only down part with breakfast was their bacon. It was SUPER salty that my taste buds were weird for a little while.

The location is a 10minute walk to the panoramic views of Piazzale Michelangelo and about a 20minute walk to the historic center (Uffizi/Signoria/Duomo/etc). If you like walking, it's a nice walk along the Arno the whole time. There is a bus station right by the hotel but we never ended up taking it (however busses stop around 8PM).

The service is great. Wonderful apertivo in their lobby from 6-8PM. They even gave us a complimentary gift of lotion and such on our departure which was an unexpected surprise.

Overall, great! Would be excellent if those rooms by the breakfast room get more sound insulation and not so salty for those breakfast bacons ;)

Room Tip: Rooms 15-19 a very close to the breakfast room and thus loud in the morning. Would ask the change if...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
HDavid, Proprietario at Hotel David, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Dear Guest,

I'm happy you had good time in one of our Basic Standard rooms (n. 18) I apologize for the noise you heard from the room I believe a better sound isolation will give better feedbacks and I will word on this for the next season. Concerning the bacon we don't have the bacon you have in your country we eat the bacon not cooked so if you cook it has not the same flavor of yours.....and I have to say it the first time that it happens. I will be testing another kind of bacon and I will see what feedbacks come out. Thank you for the advice.

Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed in Munich, Genoa, Florence, Siena, Rome and Vienna this month. Hotel David was a higlight. No worries and so many bonuses! A great price that included so much (eg free breakfast, parking, wifi, printing, etc) and they kept surprising us with extras (eg free mini bar, a small welcome cake in our room, very necessary umbrellas to borrow, a free gift when we left etc). Also, a decent location. We like to walk and enjoyed the short distance to city centre. The room was grand and clean. Staff was outstanding. We would love to return some day!

1  Thank Johnson101010
HDavid, Proprietario at Hotel David, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear Guest,
I'm very honored to be your n1 in your personal selection of hotels you have been during you stay in Italy!
NIce to see you took advantage of the many freebies we provide to our Guests....

Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

I don't normally write reviews but this hotel really does deserve a mention.
The hotel staff are so friendly and really do go the extra mile to make you feel welcome and and at home.
The room we had was spotlessly clean, well equipped and even had a free mini bar!
Breakfast was a delight too with fresh fruit, pastries and other things in abundance.
I really can't thank the staff enough for a wonderful stay and would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richard M
HDavid, Proprietario at Hotel David, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Guest,
I'm very happy you had good time here with us and even happier that you wish to come back next time you will be in Florence!

Reviewed 26 April 2014

On the quieter south side of the Arno, away from the chaotic centre of Florence, but still only a relatively short walk or bus ride to all the action. Friendly and helpful hotel staff. Good sized clean room/amenities with nice touches such as free minibar and free drinks and nibbles in the garden in the early evening. Excellent breakfasts. A great family stay in Florence.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
Good to know you had good time here at the David, I'm really happy to see how many positive comments come up, it is really a good feeling and this gives to all of us a reason to make it even better!

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Hotel David, we love you. It is easy to see why this hotel is so highly reviewed by those staying here. Wonderful welcoming people from the front desk on throughout the hotel. The location is in a residential area (with free parking right at the hotel---a premium in Florence!) so it is more quiet than most hotels. There is easy access to the major sights. Although we had a rental car we decided to park it at the hotel and walk everywhere. That was easy given the hotel location. Breakfast was abundant and good. Welcome drinks and munchies are out every night for guests--that's a nice additional touch. The minibar in the room is stocked with beer, juice, water, and refilled daily with no charge. When was the last time you encountered that in a hotel? There is also an honor bar for more substantial drinking, and cake and fruit out for guest consumption. Two publicly accessible PCs make internet use easy. Most rooms have a patio of some kind which is great to sit out on in the evening, or use to have lunch if you grab something as takeout. Our room, #31, was the best in the house---large, with bedroom, sitting area, and patio with chairs, table and lounges. There are lots of nice and quirky art touches throughout. This might be the best bang for the buck in Florence.

Room Tip: Get a top floor room. If you can reserve it specifically, ask for room #31--even the reception folks...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
We all than you all for the words of appreciation about the hotel we are really doing our best to provide always the a good balance between price quality and services to make your stay as more enjoyable as possible.