“comfortable hotel with friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel David

Hotel David
Ranked #1 of 421 Hotels in Florence
“comfortable hotel with friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

we stayed at this hotel for one night before heading to cinque terre. the bus ride from the train station takes about 30 minutes but the hotel was easy to reach with the bus and easy to locate. meanwhile, hotel david is 15 minutes by walk from the city center and you walk through a nice neighbourhood by the river. the rooms had everything we needed, breakfast was good in Italian standards. the staff was extremely helpful. free mini bar and printer were bonus :) would definitely recommend.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aysen U
HDavid, Proprietario at Hotel David, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Guest,

I thank you for your word of appreciation I'm sure you are having great time to 5 terre!
Gabriele Cecioni

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

We chose this hotel because of the Tripadvisor reviews and we weren't disappointed. From swift responses to emails prior to travelling, to the very friendly welcome (despite the late night arrival) - we couldn't have asked for more. Situated about a 15 minute walk from the centre of the city - the walks along the river were a very pleasant way to pre or post sightseeing a eating. The hotel amenities were as expected - a rustic Tuscan feel and a light airy room. The free mini-bar, free wifi and free drinks and nibbles at happy hour (6:30 to 8:00) are all big positives. If there aren't the drinks in your minibar that you want - the self-service bar has a large choice of wines, beers and spirits. Only thing I can say on the negative side are that the noise from other rooms can travel (showers and automatic blinds) - but this wasn't a big deal and it's a nice quiet hotel. Would definitely come here again - we had an amazing time in Florence.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank David L
HDavid, Proprietario at Hotel David, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Dear Guest,

i thank you for sharing your experience at the Hotel David we try to do our best from the time you send an email for infos to the time you leave the hotel and I'm happy you were not disappointed!
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

After our first evening in Florence, heading back to the hotel we were not impressed at all and could not understand how the hotel was number 1 on Tripadvisor. We felt like the hotel was miles from the centre and had nothing at all around it. We really struggled to find somewhere to eat that was close by so were fed up. Add to this the next morning we were woken up at 7am as we were in room 19 which was right next to the breakfast room so had the constant noise of dishes being clashed around and we were not happy at all.

However, when we spoke to reception our impressions began to change. The staff were absolutely brilliant and said they had a nother room they could move us to and whilst it wasn't yet ready, they would move all of our stuff if we packed it away.

We decided to use the bus to get to the centre which was great. It runs every 10 minutes from right outside of the hotel and drops you either near the bridge or goes all the way to the train station which was ideal for us and was very cheap.

After our sightseeing we headed back to the hotel and there were loads of places open which were all very lively. It seems that on a Sunday the evenings are sleepy and think we were given an unfair view of the area on our first night.

Back at the hotel, the minibar in the room was free, the drinks in the bar were so cheap they amy as well have been free (which I believe they are during certain times which we didn't catch), the wifi is free (not as common in Italy as you would expect) and the guy on reception knew we had swapped rooms and gave us the new key and was very nice. There is also a computer in the social area you can use for free as well as free printing. It seemed like everything was free other than the payment for the room! It was a refreshing change.

Even on departure we were given a free bottle of body lotion and shower gel!

Whilst first impressions normally count, in this instance we are pleased they didn't!

The owner of this hotel certainly has customer service down to a tea and I'd be extremely surprised if you could find any better service in any hotel, even the most luxurious ones.

Room Tip: Unless you like being woken up at 7am, avoid room number 19 as it is right next door to the breakfas...
4 Thank Mrshoeson
HDavid, Proprietario at Hotel David, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Guest,

I thank you for sharing your experience and I'm happy this time the first impression was not the last one as usually happens. It's true actually that on August and on top on Sunday evenings the area here appears kind of sleepy but it's is understandable because this is a residential area and now it's the time the citizens go on holiday....
I wait you here at the David next time you decide to come to visit Florence.
Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

What a fantastic hotel , the staff are more then helpful, the hotel is clean, and child friendly. Free drinks in the evening and nibbles,the mini bar in the room also complimentary and little cakes on your arrival. A small gift as we left and for my husband a discount as his name is David. The only one very small thing, which is a bug bare for me, the hair dryer was very slow, I have short hair and gave up drying it in the end, that was the only thing I could find wrong so thumbs up for me.

Room Tip: There all good enjoy!
2 Thank LJWilks
HDavid, Proprietario at Hotel David, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Dear Guest
I thank you for coming to stay with us I'm very pleased you liked our hospitality and I hope to see you soon here at the David!
My best
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

I stayed here for 3 days in September of last year and must say this was one of the best places I have stayed in Italy and basically anywhere! I wish we stayed there longer it truly felt like home and basically made our trip to Italy. We were traveling through Italy for 12 days Rome>Florence>Tuscany>Venice>Lake Garda, and basically nothing compared to Hotel David. It's hard to imagine being in a place like Venice and wishing you were back at the Hotel David but that was exactly how I felt. Florence was by far my favorite city and staying in this beautiful little hotel just made it all the better. Here are a few takeaways to why I loved it so much:
1) 10-15 min walk along the beautiful Arno to the Ponte Vecchio bridge
2) Bus stops literally in front of the hotel
3) Free happy hour outside on terrace everyday with snacks
4) Breakfast is AMAZING!
5) Rooms are beautifully decorated and CLEAN
6) The staff is amazing and really what made me fall in love with this place!! The customer service is above and beyond...long story short I left my cell phone in an apron at a cooking school that we had done a pizza/gelato class at and didn't realize until we were back at the hotel. I naturally started freaking out, the front desk saw me upset, and immediately called the cooking school and translated in Italian for me to make sure I would be able to get my phone the next morning.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kristen C
HDavid, Proprietario at Hotel David, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Guest,

I'm very impressed that you remind your vacation at the David and if ever you decide to move to Italy we will be happy to explain you everything you need to know!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Our family just enjoyed three of the most wonderful days in Florence at the Hotel David. From the front desk staff, to housekeeping, to the sweet breakfast attendant (who makes expresso etc. to order) the all raise the bar very high. The mini bar in the room and bar / snacks in the lobby were free....what? The location is excellent as it's right on the edge of the central district with a convenient bus stop virtually across the street. All of the front desk staff were excellent about helping with any questions including calling restaurants to modify reservations. Can't recommend enough.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Willtye
HDavid, Proprietario at Hotel David, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Guest,
A big thank you for your words of appreciation we are honored to have had you here at the David and anytime you wish to visit us again we will be here.
Princes Risborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights last week, on recommendation from a friend. This hotel is WOW. Not for spectacular 'materialistic looks' but for its true Italian feel. Cannot praise the staff enough, they are wonderful. So helpful in anyway, from minute of arrival to departure. The rooms are true Italian in style, nothing WOW factor, but traditional. The mini bar is a treat, the honesty bar is so cheap in comparison to the town (would hate anybody to abuse their trust on that one), free cake during the day, and the free happy hour between 6.30 - 8.00 is a lovely idea, even though we only used it once. Free wi-fi and even a 10 minute free call back home every day if you wish. Fresh towels & cleaned room every day. Breakfast of satisfactory standard with good selection. Continental type, and a bit of egg & bacon, lovely cake & pastries, hams, cheeses & croissants. Beautiful little garden that my partner & I sat in every night. Love this hotel, will recommend to others & would like to go back. Ideally situated about a 30 minute stroll (if not hurrying) into town. Used the open top bus to get a round all the sights, excellent idea. Mossies in August were a nightmare, take plenty of repellent! And i would say do look around before you eat/drink out. Get right out of the town and take a look down the side streets for cheaper and more traditional eats. After the 4 days was fed up with paying between 6 -9 euro's for a small coke! We paid 103 euro's for a meal on the first night that DIDNT include any alcohol or any pudding! 2 cokes, 1 shared starter & 2 main steaks, potatoes & veg also to be paid for separately. Will definitely return, just next time would be more shrewd. But as for the Hotel, look no further ......

Room Tip: Front bedroom has better view, was offered a front without balcony or a back with a balcony. Front W...
3 Thank Denise A
HDavid, Proprietario at Hotel David, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Guest
I thank you for coming over I'm pleased you had good time and so happy you enjoyed our way of welcoming Guests.
My best