“A great hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 421 Hotels in Florence
London, England
“A great hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2009

We were very pleased with our stay at Hotel David. It is a spacious hotel with lovely communal areas - nice seating in the garden where we enjoyed pre-dinner drinks, a lovely large lounge with lots of magazines and newspapers. The room was of a good size and clean with everything we needed. I have to say though that the best thing about this hotel is the staff. Nothing was a bother for them and they booked us on any tour we wanted, helped us with bus tickets and where to get buses from and best of all, took us in the 'Pope mobile' to a church on top of the hill near by and gave us a personal tour - we weren't expecting this at all, but it was wonderful. The only downside to this hotel is it's on quite a busy road and we could hear a fair amount of traffic noise in the garden and in our room. But to to honest, the positives outweigh this so much, and the rates are very reasonable (cheaper if you book in advance). Oh and the walk in to town can be slightly boring after a while, especially if it's 35 degrees as it was when we were there, but the buses are frequent and quite cheap if you're not in the mood for walking

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank maddypink
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, 15 September 2009
Dear Guest,

I'm glad you had good time I'm sure you will remember the tour with the Ape Calessino to San Miniato Monastery for long time it is so different from usual itinerary that people do.
See you next time you decide to come to Firenze!!

Gabriele Cecioni

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2009

I stayed at Hotel David in the beginning of September with my sister and we had a very nice time there. The staff is extremely nice, friendly and helpful. Chiara booked reservations ahead of our arrival for the Uffizi and Accademia, so it was a breeze getting into the museums. They also have a great little shuttle into town and Gabriele drove us in one morning and recommended some other sights for us to see. As the hotel is about a 10-15 minute walk from the main sights, we enjoyed walking along the river. It was also nice to get away from the really loud, touristy areas at night. The hotel is like a large bed and breakfast and beautifully decorated. They have two computers in the lobby for internet use and we were able to make 10-minute calls home to the U.S. each day. The evening cocktail hour is also a nice touch. They had a good selection for breakfast each morning and also provided a complimentary fully-stocked mini-bar upon arrival. The hotel was also spotlessly clean and the room/bathroom was also a good size. I would definitely stay there again and would recommend it.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

I'm happy you had good time in Firenze and you enjoyed out hospitality! I red that you had a ride on the new Ape Calessino and you had fun!!!
I thank you for your words of appreciation and I will see you next time you come to Firenze...

Barnsley South Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2009

We stayed here for the first week of our honeymoon to be greeted by champange & a card on our 4 poster bed. The room was absolutley spotless as was the rest of the hotel! Breakfast and early evening snacks and drinks are really good as is the free minibar in each room. The staff were charming and very friendly. This hotel is very homley. It is about a 10 minute walk into the city centre. I could not fault Hotel David. We actually decided to return for 1 night at the end of our second week, on our way back to Pisa. We will definatley return to Florence and Hotel David!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Nice to hear from you!! How is your new life going on? I'm sure you are having great time..
Of course people talk about their impression about the establishment and the Staff but you never get the other part of the story: how the Guest is seen by the Staff!
We really had good time with you 2 and what a surprise when we sow you back!!

VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2009

The Hotel David has the most accomodating staff of any hotel that we stayed in during our trip to Europe. Our family of five arrived in the morning, at about 9am, from an early train from Rome, a bad night's stay the night before, and we were exhausted and in a foul spirit. Hotel David let us drop our bags and use one of the two free Internet access computers in the lobby. This enabled us to sort out some of the upcoming stops in our trip. From the moment we entered the lobby, our vacation had begun. Our mood changed instantly. The hotel's staff is simply the most accomodating out there, and it is clear that everyone we met was happy to work there and happy to work in the hotel business (that is so rare these days).

We stayed in two rooms -- a King bed, and a triple for the kids. The rooms are not new, but they are immacuately clean. The hard wood floors were charming and cozy, as were the rooms themselves. We enjoyed the free in-room Internet -- a rarity in our trip to Europe and so much appreciated. The breakfast was included and was very good. Espresso coffee will be made for you, if you wish.

The hotel staff -- once we had left to see Florence -- took our bags to our room, which was very thoughtful and almost embarrassing.

The Hotel David is about a 15 minute walk to the heart of historic Florence. But it is an easy, level (flat) walk to the town. You stay at the Hotel David in a quiet almost suburban area -- away from the partying in town -- so it is blessedly quiet. There is an ATM nearby, pharmacy, a pastry/ice cream shop downstairs, etc. The view out the window looks like the scene from a travel magazine or a Hollywood movie. The setting is very nice.

Florence was probably our favorite city in our European trip (amazing art, great shopping - ties, leather goods, etc.), but the fact that we were so nicely accomodated at the Hotel David put us in the best mood. If my wife and I could move in there, we'd retire there tomorrow. What a pleasant corner of planet Earth. We will always come back to the Hotel David.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank FredTravelVa
Dear Guest,

All the reviews have the same value because they reflex the impression of a Guest and for us is very important because we have a real time situation on the satisfaction of a Guest.

But for us some review are more significant and yours is one of those because I presume that you travel for business and you are off from home quite often so probably what you expect from an hotel is to make you feel at home!! So if you felt that with your family here at the David I did my job well!

Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2009

Much to our sincere pleasure, Hotel David turned out to be the "best little hotel" in Florence. We discovered this haven a number of years ago...because, believe or not, it has on site parking. - a rarity in the city.

Hotel David has been totally consistent for each of our visits because it has outstanding management. Gabriele [ Owner / Manager ] and the entire staff - are THE BEST ! If you need travel directions, restaurants, shopping, outdoor markets, etc....these wonderful people go the extra mile to make certain that your Florence experience is complete.

As this is a renovated villa and garden...you feel as if you are living in a large, elegant home. The Hotel is full of antiques that have been accumulated by the Cecioni Family and they contribute to the warm and comfortable atmosphere. The Guest Rooms are charming and totally unique...no two are alike. We have experienced many of them...there will be no disappointments.

You will love David's sunny, charming Breakfast Room and DO NOT miss "The Vino Hour" late afternoon in the Lobby.... you will meet all the interesting people who have also chosen to stay at Hotel David - usually multiple times.

The peace and solitude coupled with being located on one of the most beautiful streets in Firenze - within walking distance [10 minutes] of the fabulous Ponte Vecchio Bridge...needs to be experienced. We can tell you of many places and sites to be seen in Tuscany... but your only choice for your stay in Florence must be Hotel David.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest, Dear Friend,

Sometimes happens, more frequently that you might imagine, that a Guest comes the first time and looks like you have so many things in common but time is so short and things to do are so many!! Than after 1/2 years they come back and it's like they never left and you realize that Guest is becoming Friend.......

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2009

I cannot fault this hotel for cleanliness & being very charming. It is approx. 20 mins walk into the centre of Florence & you might want to get a taxi home in the evenings as it is a bit tiring. The hotel is situated on the side of a very busy road, which is unfortunate as it leads to quite a bit of noise.

We booked this hotel as part of a week long tour of Rome, Florence & Venice. We were to be in Florence for my birthday so we decided to book something really special to mark the occassion. We were so excited about this hotel as the reviews were so amazing, however we made the unfortunate mistake of showing up tired from our train journey from Rome & with backpacks (far more sensible than suitcases on the train you'll agree!) and were treated like second class citizens for every minute or our stay here. I have read in other reviews that some travellers received bottles of wine, etc. on their birthdays. We got so such treatment. In the mornings I hated having to walk past reception, as the owner barely gave us the courtesy of a good morning. On leaving he didn't even enquire if we had enjoyed our stay. All in all the experience in this hotel really ruined what was supposed to be a really special treat. (The older lady who seemed to be in charge of reception at night, was however very nice & I thank her for being the only friendly face we encountered there). I have stayed in far more luxurious and expensive hotels than this & have been treated far better. I'm sure Hotel David will continue to rank highly on TA and this review can in no way fault it's as a hotel, however, after our experiences, I will never again return nor recommend it to others.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank PsychLou
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, 6 September 2009
Dear Guest,

Somebody said " there is always a first time for everything" and most of the time he is correct!

This is my fist time that a Guest blames me to treat my Guests differently and despite You are the only one in the story of this hotel I feel sad and doesn't matter if I spent almost 20 years to welcome people here at the David with a smile on my face or if I trained almost 30 people at classes and here at the hotel to focus on Guest satisfaction, I feel sad anyway.

When you are focused on the job you love you do it like the hobby you like most and you understand that you can make some mistakes sometime but not on the first principle which is to welcome anyone and make him/her feel at home and if I couldn't make you feel that way you have my personal apologize!

Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2009

My sister, brother in law, nephew and myself stayed at the Hotel David from August 13-16, 2009. When I told my sister about all the perks included in the price, she thought there was a catch. To her surprise, there was no catch. We had a quad room and it was huge and very charming. It is so nice having a fridge in our room, let alone a fridge with drinks and snacks included. What a treat. And let's not forget happy hour. Coming home to a complimentary glass of wine and snacks in the beautiful garden made you forget all the steps you put in during the hot summer day behind you.
There's one thing we have to mention though...the beds are slightly harder than we're used to.
Some thank you's. Chiara, for coming to our room and showing me how to work the a/c. Gabriele, for opening and holding the door when he saw me arriving with parcels in both hands. Michael for always being on point with your recommendations and directions (especially when you got us out of Florence safely). And finally Maria for always being so pleasant at breakfast (which is wonderful) and making one of the best cappucinos on our trip.

Hotel David, you are a leader in the Hospitality Industry and you've made our stay memorable. Bravo to you.

Until next time