“Good room for family of four in Florence”

Hotel Grifone Firenze
Ranked #251 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We stayed in a quadruple room which we booked at short notice when we were in Rome. It was very difficult to find any other quadruple room for a reasonable price in Florence and hotel Grifone was both of those. The room itself was clean although it had a musty smell on arrival. The hotel is a good option if travelling with two young kids as the rooms whilst dated are large. There is a double bedroom and then two fold out beds in the tv room adjacent.
The bathroom was clean and fresh although the drain needed plumbing as the water was not draining properly when we first arrived. The gentleman who checked us in was not the most friendly of people which was a shame and he spoke so quickly to us we ended up having to go back and re ask for the information he had provided as it was delivered in rather an abrupt manner which makes one not listen so well when all one is thinking is 'he wants us to get out of here!'

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank SandalwoodAvenue
There are newer reviews for Hotel Grifone Firenze

Reviewed 23 July 2013

This hotel seemed okay when we checked it....the front desk was just okay, not great at all. When we checked in they needed to keep our passports because they did not want to make time to write down the info on them or photocopy them. I did not like that at all. I don't really feel comfortable leaving my passport out of my control these days. Then, we went to our rooms, (we had three different rooms), and all of them were very dated as far as the decor. But they were clean. That was a plus. Well, we turned our A/C units on and went out for a few hours, when we returned it was absolutely no cooler then when we left. It was very, very hot in Europe the week I was there. I have trouble breathing sometimes when it is that hot, so I called the front desk and asked for a fan. At first they told me they did not have one....I was not happy....The front desk lady came back with a fan at about 11pm. Also, a bottle of water. She was very nice and felt bad for my inconvenience. My other two friends just stayed hot for the entire night. Thank goodness we were only staying for one night.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank theresa f
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Went here as part of a tour group. The experience was so bad I considered never taking a tour with this company again. Pros: The rooms are large. Cons: Members of the group were complaining about odd smells in their rooms. I shrugged this off as whining until I visited the rooms. I would have never stayed in such rooms. They smelled so horribly of mold and death. I nearly threw up just to walk in them. A few people actually walked around the neighbourhood buying perfume to spray on the beds. Our bathroom tiles in the shower were black with mold. The towels were as thin as tissue. The tile in the bathroom floor was raised in odd places for some reason - leading to constant toe stubbing and a cut. The once beautiful embroidered curtains were yellowish brown from dirt and age. The comforter as thin as a sheet. The AC made loud clicking noises all night. The rooms aren't located in a central building but in little out buildings that do not have keys to the main halls - so anyone from the street could have walked in at any time. I felt like I was in a nightmare. There was no wifi except in the main lobby and very spotty - most of the time I couldn't connect. The walk to Florence was so long - almost 2 miles and nearly an hour to complete - that on the last day, 5 of our members dropped out half way and took a cab. And if you're lactose intolerant, the only breakfast option is toast unless you get up very early to snag the tinned peaches before they're gone.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sarah B
Dino C, Direttore at Hotel Grifone Firenze, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

I am so sorry that Mrs Sarah did not like the room. She could ask to change it, seen that she describe a safari in a jungle and not a stay in a Hotel in a city. I think if somebody spend a so terrible experience, he will complain at the Reception strongly. No complaint we have got about this situation, and now I find it on Trip Advisor.
Security: the rooms out of the main building are inside the Hotel Area, with a 2 meters tall wall along the perimeter. The main gate is closed during the night, and never, I say never, an unknown person came inside from the street.
I can assure the Guests, that the rooms are cleaned by certified maids and supervised by our Housekeeper, in order to obtain the best results.
I hope Mrs Sarah will come again by us shortly in order to examine again our services and change her verdict.
Best regards

Reviewed 29 June 2013

We stayed in this hotel as part of a cycling tour package so we didn't get to choose where we stayed. When I read the reviews I must admit to being disappointed with the selection. However, I was very pleasantly surprised when we checked in. Rooms are a good size, decor a little old style but clean and comfortable. It's in a quiet area but close to restaurants etc and only 30 minutes walk to town. Looked like the AC had been turned off but we didn't need it - weather was cool and we could open our big window to let fresh air in. Staff on reception were helpful and let us check in early. Breakfast was a good selection, although coffee machine was a let down. Great wifi reception from the rooms, free too. All in all good value and I would recommend it.

Room Tip: We had room 407, overlooked the street. Very happy with it.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sue-Wayne25
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We were very disappointed with the grifone. It is not a 4 star hotel by any standards. We paid for a triple suite with full kitchen. Our room was a detached building In the basement level. It was cold, mouldy in odor, all the cupboards, drawers were locked up and there was no fridge, or coffee pot. No cups or Kleenex. The toilet paper was poor quality. The hair dryer was from 1970 genre. The shower had mold on the walls and no light. cave-like. We did not have Internet or cell phone reception. The toilet did not flush. We complained. They said pump the toilet harder, the Internet should work. After the second night, we complained again and asked for a different room, again. They moved us to the new building. It was better maybe 2 star in quality. The hair dryer was old and did not work. In all the rooms the decor was very old. The female staff are sweet but seem relaxed about the issues and basically say it works for them. The breakfast was carbohydrate predominant. No protein options. The hotel is a convoluted bus ride to the centre of activity. In general, there was little direction about navigating the city. This hotel is very expensive and not worth the money. Our opinion about Firenze and Italy in general was impacted by the hotel stay and unfulfilled expectations.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building but it is still only 2 star at best and there is an old smell to the whol...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank K F
Dino C, Direttore at Hotel Grifone Firenze, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

Sorry for the complaint of these Guests, that I remember very well.
Just to give a description of the apartment reserved to the Guests, it is
almost 40 square meters, so, largely spacious for a good comfort of 4
people. Contrarly to the rest of building, these apartments have own heating
/ air conditioned system, two TVs, fridges capacity of 110 litre.
- Such room is nearly every day occupied, so, that it had a smell of mildew
(as a long period of vacancy) I do not think so. Maybe, as were crossing
an inusual rainy season, the smell of humidity could be felt by people more
sensible. The apartment is located inside our garden.
- Lights in the bath are of course present in all our rooms, but not in the
shower. Probably for security reasons.
- Most of our toilets work with an under-pression air system. If you press
the button weakly, you need to push it 2-3 times.
- Internet access. Guests are in right. At the beginning of June, we had
problems on a zone of our Hotel. However, the last night guests changed
room, where Internet was working.
- The cupboards drawers were closed as the kitchen can be used only by
people having long stay period. Anyway, the fridge is never locked.
- I agree that in the breakfast time carbohydrate are predominant, but people find also food which contains protein (ham, salami, cheese, bologna), and food for celiacs.
Sorry that the Guests were disappointed about their stay in our Hotel, but I hope to have the chance to accommodate them soon in order to recuperate their valuation.

Reviewed 10 May 2013

I've stayed for 1 night on May 2013 and its a really below the standards ( very poor)
the receptionists are nice and helpful however their hotel is soo poor and old.
i do recomend another hotel in the area.

Room Tip: A/C not working
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Marwan M
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I loved my stay at this hotel. I had a comfy room with a balcony and it was very beautiful. It is a bit far away from the historic center, but a nice 20-30 minute walk. The receptionists were very nice and helpful. The breakfast was great (especially the homemade cakes!). Free wifi throughout the hotel. I would highly recommend this hotel to any person traveling to Florence.
Note: You pay when you check out and pay the additional city tax (€4 per person per night).

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends