“Small but charming & clean hotel with great service”
Review of Principe Hotel

Principe Hotel
Ranked #207 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 20 May 2012

I found this hotel through tripadvisor & I love it. I checked in early but the staff accommodated me; they even let me choose the room. I took the one with a terrace with a view of the Arno River. And a lot of of the places of interest are within 15 minutes of walking...

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 17 May 2012

As a profeessional travel writer/photographer who has stayed in various accommodations throughout Italy, I loved this hotel which I considered a super-find in Florence as far as comfort, service and location. I was "on vacation," not working, for three days. My immaculate room overlooked the Arno River -- and there was a balacony from which to enjoy the views; the staff were always considerate and helpful and it was within walking distance, but not in a noisy location, of Florence's major attractions. I eagerly awaited the better-than-usual breakfast every morning. A special treat for all guests are the panoramic views of Florence from the rooftop terrace. I've already recommended the Principe to a friend who is visiting in 2013.

Room Tip: I'd always pick a room with a view even if it's smaller.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank nancy b
Reviewed 16 May 2012

An absolutely beautifully maintained boutique hotel set on the River Arno, a short easy walk to everywhere in Firenze. Rooms are large, comfortable and beautifully decorated to capture the essence of the hotel. Very helpful staff, able to guide you effectively to maximise your time and the sight-seeing options. A beautiful rear garden is definitely worth a sit and espresso. A hidden treasure to which we'll return.

Room Tip: Ask for river facing as, despite the expected traffic noise, the views are spectacular.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank andrew w
Reviewed 14 May 2012

My husband and I are on our first trip to Italy. Our travel agent suggested this hotel for us and we are very happy she did. We will spend a total of 7 nights in this hotel. We have a room on the 4th floor. It is spacious, has a little balcony that overlooks their back garden. We can see the dome of the Duomo from here. The front desk staff is welcoming and helpful. The bed is comfortable. The location is convenient and a comfortable walking distance to sights on both sides of the River Arno (Pitti Palace, the Duomo, San Lorenzo, Ponte Vecchio, shopping). For those sights that are a little further afield the Hop On, Hop Off bus tours have stops within 2 blocks of the hotel so we visited the sights that were further away on the days we had tickets for the bus. The train station is a short, 8 minute walk away.

There are a good selection of restaurants at several price points also within walking distance. There is a laudromat about 4 blocks away. At the end of the day we enjoy relaxing in the lobby area and having a cup of tea. There is free Wifi throughout the hotel. Breakfast in included with the room and we have found this to have a reasonable selection.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Karen1CUA
Reviewed 13 May 2012

The Hotel Principe made my first visit to Florence perfect. With only 20 rooms, the staff makes you feel more like family friends than clients. The garden is beautiful, an oasis in the city, it's quiet and shaded. I sat in the garden and enjoyed perfect coffee and talked with the matriarch Anna, a lovely woman. The rooftop patio offers a panoramic view of the city. The location is within walking distance to the museums and shopping. I will return to Florence to see more of the city and I will always stay at the Principe.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 May 2012

At first I was skeptical, as we had been staying in Marriotts so far on our European trip, but this was a wonderful little hotel. My only complaint was thin walls. Lucky for us, though, there are very few rooms (24, I believe) and everyone was relatively quiet. I would recommend earplugs, it really made a difference and sleep is necessary if you are going to fill your days with sightseeing. We had two rooms, a triple and a double. My daughter, her husband and my other (adult) daughter had the triple. This was quite a large room with a sofa and chair and coffee table! It fit all their luggage and my one daughter had been studying in Europe for 4 monthsm so she had a lot! We had a double room (but the bed was closer to a king size) with a balcony overlooking the back "courtyard" area. We actually sat out there and had it to oursleves all three nights we were there. Each night we would have a bottle of wine and the owner and other employees were more than willing to supply us with a corkscrew, wine glasses and even a bowl of ice one night. I was overwhelmed at how nice they always were to us, despite our "bugging" them even up to midnight one night!! This was the most authentic hotel we had stayed at in Europe so far, it actully seemed like it had been a home at one time. It had the smallest elevator I have ever seen, really made me giggle everytime I looked in it! I took the stairs as we were only on the second floor (the hotel contains only 4 floors). Breakfast was provided every morning and the the gentlemen working in the room were very attentive! The choices were simple, but that was always ok with us!!! Free wi-fi throughout the hotel as well. We walked everywhere while staying here too.
This is definitely not a "high-end" hotel, but it could sure give some of them a run for their money!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 May 2012

hotel offers free parking, free Wi-Fi, which is a rare offer for hotels in Florence. Rooms are spacious, clean, have a terrace overlooking the garden site. Staff is very friendly and caring.We will recommend the Principe Hotel to friends and will go back

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family