“Charming hotel with beautiful views”
Review of Principe Hotel

Principe Hotel
Ranked #211 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Columbus
“Charming hotel with beautiful views”
Reviewed 10 October 2012

We spent 4 nights in September here and enjoyed our stay immensely - would not hesitate to recommend the Hotel Principe. The rooms are large, have incredibly high ceilings with very nice amentities. Although our room overlooked the lovely garden in the back, the views from the front door when we walked out were amazing, right across the street from the Arno. The hotel is located slightly west of most central part of Florence but is convenient to very nice trattorias and very peaceful. Not at all a problem walking to most locations. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 7 October 2012

We loved our stay in this hotel. Our room was very spacious and decorated in a way that emphasised both the size of the room and the height of the old ceilings. The long windows, with long curtains, looked out onto the garden which was small but elegant. The bathroom was huge with the overwhelming sense of style and marble! The staff were incredibly helpful and also courteous, combining both skills in a way that is very rare in my experience. The food was good at breakfast (they dont do other meals).
It took 10 minutes to walk to the centre of Florence and it was a beautiful walk alongside the river. It is not a modern hotel but that was it's charm and for us was absolutely perfect and we loved every moment.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LondonHopeful2
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Overall I enjoyed my stay at this hotel, and appreciated the reception's recommendation of nearby Trattoria Armando for dinner, which was excellent and very welcoming of me as a solo diner.

However my stay was marred by a strong smell of cigarette smoke throughout the hotel and in my supposedly non-smoking room. It permeated all my clothes and I could still smell it when I unpacked at my next destination. I realise that smoking is very common in Italy, but this was very off-putting.

I was in a single room on the 3rd floor & the wall to the next room was very thin. People arrived late at night to the room next door & I could hear their entire conversation.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank KaliNZ1
Devizes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2012

We arrived in Florence with no hotel reservation and expected to be able to wander into our hotel of choice and stay. How wrong we were! We ended up going to the Tourist Information Office and were booked into the Hotel Principe for one night. The hotel is well-located and we were lucky to be given a room overlooking the river (sadly dredging work was going on at the time) but the real bonus was that we had a balcony that was lovely in the evening. Hotel Principe is classed as a 4 star hotel and the service is very good (including a turn down service at night) but we felt that our room (top floor) was small and rather tired for the price with quite a few out-dated features. 20 years ago the hotel would have been top of its class but it hasn't quite kept up with the times in terms of its amenities. The bathroom was adequate but shower pressure very poor. It was all clean and breakfast was a really pleasant service, in a beautiful breakfast room.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ros T
San Diego, California
Reviewed 24 September 2012

The hotel is located near the river towards the outer area of Florence's historic district, but still within short walking of all the sights. We were welcomed by a very friendly and helpful staff. The room was fairly big and had a also a large bathroom. All of the rooms were decorated in old-world style wall paper, furnishings, and marble (bathroom). Our room was quiet and had a view to the rear backyard, which displays a lovely garden. Breakfast was included (and of great variety). Overall I can highly recommend this hotel to the discerning Florence visitor!

Room Tip: The rear rooms are quiet, while the front rooms have views to the river
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2012

My colleague and I stayed in Florence for one night at the Principe whilst visiting a tradeshow in September. We found the hotel on a search for places that could offer a balcony (as I am a smoker) AND wifi, to allow us to connect to our business emails. Fortunately the hotel has 22 rooms, 14 of which have balconys, we were told. I have found too often that hotels can advertise that 'some rooms have balconys' but very few are prepared to confirm this at the booking stage. The 'Principe' did confirm to us that we would each have balconys.

It is always a worry that the pictures you see on the web, do not live up to the reality. But when we got there, we couldn't have been happier. We each had a balcony, my colleagues' single room looked out over the hills of the surrounding country side with a fabulous view of La Duomo. My balcony was more of a terrace infact, seperated from the room next door's terrace by a plant entwined trellis. Two people could have easily laid out on towels on the floor and sunbathed quite happily had they so wished to do so. I had actually been upgraded to a double room on the top floor looking out over the Arno - room 42. My room had a mini bar, flat screen TV, and private bathroom that was clean and kitted out with all the little bits and pieces you would expect, soap, shampoo, shower cap etc. The wifi also had a strong connection on our floor, which was great.There was air conditioning, a safe and plenty of hangers and extra bed covers should I have wanted to use them in the large cupboard. I stayed at the Gansevoort Hotel in New York once, at a much greater expense, I might add, yet my double room in Florence at the 'Principe' was so much larger! Its so good to have the space to walk around your double bed rather than have to shuffle sideways between the bed and the wall, which it felt like at the Gansevoort. Give me substance over 'style' anyday.

Anyway back to the Principe, I called for my continental breakfast to be delivered to my room in the morning and just savoured the view, sitting at the pretty table and chairs provided on the terrace. If you want a cooked breakfast you have to dine downstairs.

What more can you want on a business trip? The staff were lovely and polite and the desk staff all spoke very decent english. It might have been nice if I could of had a small cafetiere of coffee or the like, on my breakfast tray rather than just one cup of cappucino, but otherwise I thought it was all fantastic value for money. And would have been happy to have stayed there longer given the chance.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ClaireChantal
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed 20 September 2012

We loved our stay here! Great location right on the river and within close walking distance to all the major sites. (Short taxi ride to train station.) We had 3 rooms in our group--- 3 big suites and they were all very clean, modern and awesome. Buffet breakfast was great and very typical of our stay in Italy (yogurt, granola, juice, meats and cheeses, etc. chef will also make an omelet too.) Giorgio was very helpful with everything and gave us a great restaurant choice around the corner---il Profeta. Great place and great food!!! Roof top terrace offers great 360 degree views of Florence. Found this place after extensive research on trip advisor and wasn't disappointed. I highly recommend this hotel and would stay here anytime if I'm back in Florence.

Room Tip: All the suites were wonderful but the river suite with a balcony overlooking the Arno RIver and the...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends