“Rooms a bit dated but overall fine”
Review of Hotel Privilege

Hotel Privilege
Ranked #157 of 420 Hotels in Florence
London
“Rooms a bit dated but overall fine”
Reviewed 10 October 2008

This is one of those hotels that was probably quite grand in its day. That’s not to say that its run down or seeing hard times now, but looking at the décor and furnishings, I think its fair to say that it has become a little dated over the years.

That aside, our two day stop at this place was perfectly fine. Our stay was part of a cycling tour through Tuscany and the hotel was able to supply a secure lock up for the storage of the bikes which was very useful. The welcome at this hotel was also very friendly and the staff/owners/managers were very helpful with any queries we had.

It was slightly unfortunate that the room we had was at the front of the hotel. The front of the hotel does afford views onto the river, bridges and other sights on the other side of the river but there is the issue of the traffic noise to consider. Whilst not ridiculously loud (there are 2 windows and 2 sets of shutters at each window), if you were a light sleeper, you might be affected by the hum of the traffic in the morning. One issue I would have with the room was a lack of power points. If you wanted to charge camera batteries, phones etc, there was really only one spare point available which wasn’t that good. Particularly if you wanted to listen to some of your own music at the same time.

The bathroom also came with a bath which was quite unusual as all the other hotels we had stayed in had showers, a bath was very welcome after a day of cycling though (there was also a shower by the way).

Florence isn’t a huge city and the location of this hotel puts all the usual sights in easy walking distance. Bars, restaurants and pubs can also be found within a 5 minute walk from here. The breakfast was also very good for this standard of hotel. There were cereals, cheeses, bread, fruit, eggs, tea, coffee, juices and lots of toast all set out in a self service style in the dining area.

Overall there was nothing really to complain about, the noise of the traffic may be the issue to some as may be the dated look of the place, however, this wasn’t a really issue for us and would be happy to stay there again.

• Liked — Friendly helpful staff, breakfast, room with a bath
  • Disliked — Traffic noise at front of hotel
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
New York City
Reviewed 9 September 2008

My partner and I stayed for 2 weeks in August 2008 at the Hotel Privilege, located along the Arno in Florence, Italy, having "discovered" the hotel (through comments on TripAdvisor.com) last year, when we stayed for a week. Somewhat east of the main tourist area (the Ponte Vecchio and the Piazza della Signoria), near Santa Croce, the hotel is effectively cut out of the corner of a very large historical building and comprises probably about 20 rooms, all of them kept immaculately clean and neat. The host and hostess, Emanuele and Barbara, are fantastic: they make you feel like family (in the best sense) and go out of their way to help you plan your activities and ensure, insofar as they can, that your stay in Florence is as enjoyable as possible. Their recommendations on restaurants, sights, activities (e.g., bicycle tours), etc. are very helpful, but most of all they treat you like a welcome guest in their home, not just another number. They serve a wonderful continental breakfast with a wide selection of cereals, fruits, breads, cold meats, yogurt, jams and jellies, hard boiled eggs, and of course juice and coffee. If you wish, you can eat breakfast (or take coffee or tea later in the day) on the open air terrace of the hotel that is shaded by an old giant wisteria bush. The smaller, upper level of the terrace, up a short flight of stairs, has a view of the river. While the rooms are not of luxury standard, they are nicely decorated and have either outside views (some of the river) or give onto a small, upper inner courtyard (very quiet, and where we chose our rooms both years). The room rates are reasonable, too! We would (and will) return to Florence just to visit this wonderful small gem of a hotel and this extremely gracious and friendly couple, even if there were not other reasons for returning!

Stayed August 2008
1 Thank ItalyfanNewYorkCity
gerrards cross u.k.
Reviewed 31 August 2008

As an ex- travel agent I am very aware of the importance of research. Trip advisor is a tool I used at my place of work and continue to access for my personal travel arrangements.
The Hotel Privilege was one of two hotels i was considering - I know I made the correct choice! It's easy to ascertain the location and facilities of a hotel but not always as easy to gauge the customer service. This was exemplary and the entire stay faultless. I intend to return to Florence and will undoubtedly book my stay at the Priviege. I have high expectations of accommodation and have been fortunate to stay at some world class hotels. Although this hotel doesn't charge or offer a 5 star status, I wish to convey my opinion that the customer service is certainly worthy of such a rating. When away, regardless of cost, I expect a clean room with comfortable bed and enough soft towels. The size of room is relevant depending on individual situations. At the Privilege, our rooms although not huge, were certainly not small; with so much site-seeing, we weren't in our rooms other than to sleep. The fixtures and fittings and the breakfast certainly surpassed my expectations. Our experience really defined the word hospitality. Compared to other cities such as Rome, Venice, Seville, Dublin, Munich and countless others, this was by far the best value city break I have ever experienced.

Stayed August 2008
1 Thank JanGerrardsCrossU_k_
Sheffield
Reviewed 29 July 2008

This is the second time my wife and I have stayed at the hotel and we would live there if we could.
The location is fabulous and the owners are extremely helpful, friendly and informative. Very reasonably priced when doing comparisons of many other hotels in this inspirational city.

Chris & Faye-Louise

• Liked — Location & owners
  • Disliked — slightly busy road
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
NYC
Reviewed 28 July 2008

We stayed at the Hotel Privilege for 3 nights in the middle of July, based on the reviews we had read on Tripadvisor. We were not disappointed and I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Florence.

The room was the largest we had in Italy, and we chose the room with two twin beds. They were long and extremely comfortable... after staying at 3 other hotels with harder mattresses, the nice mattresses were a welcome relief. The room was clean and very quiet (I'm very picky about this so I had requested, and we were given, a room that faced the courtyard). The air conditioning was plentiful (very important in the summer) versus other hotels that controlled how low you could set the temperature or only allowed A/C after a certain hour. The bathroom was also larger than all of the others we experienced, including the shower stall. The TV was larger, too -- I would guess about 27" to 32".

The staff was very friendly. They helped me change a restaurant reservation without my even asking them to make the call, gave us directions, and answered all our questions. They were knowledgable and helpful, and their English was good.

The breakfast was the most impressive we'd seen during our trip, including (but not limited to) plenty of fresh fruit, rolls, croissants, dry cereal, meat, and my favorite, smoked salmon. The orange juice and coffee were good.

The hotel is in a great location on the Arno, a 5 minute walk to Santa Croce and 10 minutes to the Ponte Vecchio. One of our favorite restaurants was La Giostra (recommended also by the staff). I would recommend eating indoors -- the ambience is quite nice (we ate in the room on the left, if you are facing the entrances). If you are weird about salt, stay away from the veal ossobucco... it was a bit salty... but everything else was great. Keep in mind they do not offer wine by the glass, so be prepared to order a bottle or choose something else to drink.

We took the train to Siena one day, and it was a pretty easy and inexpensive trip. If you do this, I would recommend walking from the train station in Siena to the sights (Duomo, Piazza del Campo). It's about a 15 - 20 minute walk, and whereas you can take the bus, it's a bit confusing as to where to get off, and not many people speak English.

Side note: I would not recommend Italy in the summer. I've heard August is bad because many shops are closed for vacation, but July is very hot and humid. We found Florence to be less humid than Rome or the coastal town in Southern Italy we visited, but it was still quite hot.

• Liked — comfortable, quiet, clean, great breakfast
  • Stayed July 2008
Greenville, Sc
Reviewed 30 June 2008

The hosts at the hotel, Barbara and Emmanuelle, made our visit like staying with family. They were extremely helpful with restaraunt suggestions. They also have a nice breakfast. It was a pleasure having an after dinner drink and talking with them each evening.

hertfordshire
Reviewed 26 June 2008

Picked because of site reveiws and not diappointed.Room tired but at the back and quiet so excellent for us as only passing through.Stayed 2 nights,good value.
Owners very helpful.

• Liked — Excellent value and close to most things.
  • Disliked — nothing really,room a little tired but roomy.
2 Thank cabby289