“Great value for everything important!”

Hotel Kursaal Ausonia
Ranked #121 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Newark, Delaware
“Great value for everything important!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

The location is excellent, only a few blocks to the train station, bus station and metro. Walk a few blocks and your in the middle of a great shopping area or peering at Florence Cathedral's Doumo, Which we could see from our room balcony. The facility was very clean and comfortable, and had new tile and bathroom fixtures. The staff was very friendly and fortunately for us, spoke English. They provided excellent breakfasts each morning with an amazing appliance that provided excellent coffee as Americano, latte, expresso, etc. I really liked that appliance!! The room was very secure with new doors and locks throughout; Yhe elevator made it easy to transport our cases up to the 3rd floor. We stayed 9 nights and only had 2 complaints: The queen bed was actually two single mattresses that kept separating leaving a canyon between me and my partner. Do I have to mention that Italians and their friends like to party all night long and tend to use their outside voices inside!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jed w

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Wilmington, Delaware
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

It has been a while, but I wanted to review in case anyone was interested in going during the summer. The hotel is very easy to get to from the train station. You can walk a few beasutifull blocks and you are there! The hotel itself is overall very good for your money. My friend and I shared a room, and we couold see the duomo. If you have only dremed of visisting Florence like i had, it was truly breathtaking. It is wonderful to wake up early and watch the way sun lights up Florence from your window. I've never seen such beatifull colors!

The room was spacious and clean. The wifi did not work. When we asked the front desk they said the manager had left on vacation and not given them the password. ok.... Our room did not lock. The lock on the door was completely broken. We let the front desk know. The girl came a looked at it and said she would put a call in. We left our stuff, and went out. Luckily, nothing was missing. Overall we felt very safe. The next day, the lock was still not working. We were there over the weekend and the lock did not get fixed until the day we left. We found out that the owner of the hotel did not want to pay the locksmith the "weekend price" to fix it. Left a bad taste when we left.
The staff was very apoligetic and sincere, and secured ourbelongings every time we went out. If you would not be able to enjoy yourself worrying about your belongings, i recommend another hotel. The owner obviously likes to skip corners, and the staff were not to happy or shy about sharing this.

Florence is a dream regardless of where you are. Your will be in Florence! I'm jealous!

Room Tip: Make sure the room locks!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Jen L
alarigo1, Owner at Hotel Kursaal Ausonia, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear guest,
thank you for appreciating the beauty to wake up and seeing the Duomo right from your hotel’s window. It is not common at all in Florence and we are very proud to have some rooms where you can appreciate the incredible masterpiece of Brunelleschi’s dome.
You mentioned the wifi that was not working. The wifi has been a problem for a while. The law abot wifi use changed in Italy and our technician was not very quick in updating our system: the registration of the single user was no longer needed and the attempt of creating a free account miserably failed, because there were too many people using our access at the same time so that it was completely out of order . It has been difficult for our technician to find the solution to this problem and I apologise for this.
The lock of your door was broken. If I remember well it broke after your arrival and that was, as you said, during the week end. Our doors are fire proof doors . When the locksmith was called, he said that the locker could NOT be fixed, had to be replaced. That is why we needed to wait till Mon when shops were open again. I really would like to know who told you I did not want to pay the weekend price, because as a hotel we have a fix rate and I pay the same amount Monday or Sunday.
I understand your concern about safety but if this helps to better understand the situation I can add that your room is on the same level of the reception and no one can access that part of the hotel if not passing In front of the front desk.
Please believe me that I do not skip corners nor try to avoid responsibility. Sometimes it is really not possible to be more efficient.
Littleton, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

I stayed here again this year. Nov. 2013. The staff is still wonderful, nice breakfast, convienent location. The best expresso on my month tour of Europe was at the corner to the right. You will enjoy it if you are looking for nice safe clean. IF you need fluff and puff keep looking.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vhyland
Escazu, Costa Rica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

First time ever staying over for the night in Florence. In our previous trip we had just gone for the day, returning that same evening to Milan.

The hotel has a certificate of excellence from this site, meaning it offers a good balance between cost and service. Staff is excellently amiable. The room itself remined me of childhood roadtrips staying in 3 star hotels in mexican heartland cities. That means rustic but comfortable furniture, good beds, good heating, but no other frills.

I'm at odds with the bathroom. No complaints about space here. The shower was pretty decent, but it had a rather poor water flux and the paint above the tiles was scraped. Other than that, it was fine. No toiletries, but soap dispensing fixtures.

While the location is very convenient (5 minutes to Santa Maria Novella train station, 5 minutes to the Duomo), the hotel sits itself on the rim of the historical center of Florence and at certain times of day the surrounding streets look rather dodgy. In our first night we were for a short walk to the Duomo and Piazza della Signoria just to find people smoking pot just round the corner.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Banja Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

This is the second time I'm visiting Florence and staying in this hotel. Have to say that wasn't like 3 years ago, no improvements at all as you would expect in 3 years time. Breakfast was always basic but now it was even worst, for 1-2 days stay is ok but for 5 days or longer is nothing much. If you came to breakfast around 8 or 8,30 there is not much left but as I'm not much of an eater it didn' bother me too much but I think for 4 star hotel there should be better breakfast. What bother me the most was the price and I wasn't happy that I had to pay more then I expected and that I arranged over the email. So be sure when booking this hotel to check all info as some of the info on a website aren't correct. So sorry that this ruined my last day in Florence. Wouldn't stay there anymore, that's for sure.

Room Tip: Room with the balcony
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Драшко Д
alarigo1, Owner at Hotel Kursaal Ausonia, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Lily,
I am very sorry about your comment.
Our hotel is small and simple but honest.
We do not surcharge and the information on our webpage is correct.

You have been our guest in the past and I was very happy when you decided to come back. For this reason I had offered you the best I could:
1. the lowest rate applicable (-15% for the not refundable tariff, without asking for immediate payment) and so giving you the possibility of changing your mind till the very last minute
2. free upgrade to a superior room with balcony
3. discount on the garage tariff
All these information were written on the confirmation email that I had sent you.
The misunderstanding between me and you is that I have given you a 15% (not ref tariff) while you had asked for a long stay discount (10%). I am really sorry that I was not able to explain you that
if you receive a 15% discount you can not have an additional 10% on top of it.

Information on our web page is correct.
You say that we write on our web page that in the prices, services and taxes are included.
When you book it is claerly specified that city tax is not included.
When we say "taxes" we refer to State taxes. City tax is different in every Italian city and it never included.
It might be confusing but we don't know any better way of comunicating it.
In your specific case I wrote you an additional email to inform you that since your last stay we had this new tax.
I thought it very unfair from you to say upon check out that you were not told.

Our hotel was renovated last time in 2007. Your room was not changed since but we renovated other things: new coffee and juice machine, new flat screen TV, 3 new bathrooms. It might not seem a lot to you but for a small, budget hotel like us it was a lot, especially considering the big economical crises that effected us too.

Our breakfast is simple. I am sorry you did not notice that since last time (thanks to the positive suggestions of Tripadvisor's reviews) we added ham and some gluten free products like marmelades (in an eco-friendly dispenser), rice bars and biscuits.
Our breakfast is richer than a normal Italian breakfast but still simple and more or less almost the same. Italians leave fantasy in food for lunch and dinner
Coopersburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

Our first Italy stop was in Florence. We stayed at the Kursaal Ansonia Hotel. It was the perfect spot for walking and getting to all things Firenze. The room was clean and cozy. The bathroom was clean and efficient. The buffet breakfast was just perfect. The owners of the hotel were the best part. They were warm and friendly and so very helpful. The wife, Paula gave us the best tour of our whole 3 week trip. Loved her enthusiasm and the perspective of her knowledge of art. Will definately will stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank joasmom
Charlottetown, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

We only were able to spend one night in Florence, but we were very glad we chose this hotel. Don't be turned off by the way in, the rooms are wonderful and clean, and the service was exceptional. It was also a great price, the location was very good as well.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple