“Don't do it - bed bugs!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Fiorita

Hotel Fiorita
Ranked #82 of 421 Hotels in Florence
United States
“Don't do it - bed bugs!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2009

Okay, so I'll start by saying that I work in the travel industry so I do have high standards for hotels; however, this was by far and away the worst experience I have ever had. The "hotel" is located on the fourth floor of what is basically an old dingy walk-up building in an area that has a lot of "sexy shops". There is a really old elevator that can hold about one person and two suitcases, if you feel like risking your life to get to your room.

After you get to the hotel's check-in desk, they show you to your room. My guest room was located at the top of a additional creepy, narrow staircase (about 20 stairs) and was the only one in this area. As soon as I walked in, I noticed that there was an alarming amount of mold on the walls and the baseboards (see photos). The bathroom actually appeared pretty clean, which is the only reason I stuck it out - well that and that I thought my companion might kill me if I asked him to lug our suitcases back down those creepy stairs.

So long story short, the next day we were both insanely itchy and sure enough, we both had little red bites scattered all over our bodies. Mine were more isolated to my ankles, legs and arms, while my companion's were on his arms and hands. That being said, we both itched all over. We bought some topical steroid and sucked it up, but thank goodness we only stayed here one night out of our two-night reservation (but we had to pay for both nights we had reserved, of course). We stayed our last night in Florence at a Best Western - it was clean, reasonable price, and the staff was very friendly.

In addition, our room at Fiorita was evidently near where they serve breakfast (which is a really gross thought to me), so from 6:30am until 10:00am, we had the treat of listening to them preparing breakfast and people stomping up and down the staircase. The walls are paper-thin.

In case it is not obvious, I'd pretty bitter about this place. It had really good reviews online, so I was really disappointed with what we saw upon arrival. This stay was about a week into our two-week excursion throughout Italy. I'm not trying to sound dramatic, but the experience ruined at least three days of my vacation and scarred me for life with a bed bug paranoia... and I still have these darn itchy bites.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank caskins
texFirenze, propietario at Hotel Fiorita, responded to this review, 16 April 2009
---we use not interfere with guest's opinion, from reviews we receive impulse to do our job better and better.
We now read of a hotel close to collapse, in ruin, surrounded by sexy shops, prostitution, killers around the corner ready to stab poor tourists; and also in the bedroom guest cannot find rest and peace: ferociuos bed bugs sucking blood !
Give us a chance to inform guests of the real
conditions of our hotel.
Our hotel is located on the 3° floor of a historical building( it was built in 1900 ); it has an old but efficent elevator and it has been recently renovated and decorated.
There are no sexy shop in Via Fiume or around here.
The black spot appering in client's photos is a result of fluid overspilling from aircondiriong system; there are no bed bugs or any other insects.
What is true is that client had to pay 2 nights , as per his reservation,beacuse 1°night he did not show up.
What is true is that we booked the 3° nights in a Best Western Hotel because our hotel was fully booked.
It is hard to believe that such a false description it has been caused by a no-show charge !
We are sorry to have so deeply unsatisfied client's expectations;,
For next clients visiting us: be sure that the Fiorita Hotel and its surroundind are not the Dante's hell reported by this client

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2007

We stayed here for one night on our way thru Florence to Northern Italy - it was recommended to us by a family member - it was very clean, spacious and comfortable. The breakfast room was delightful, and the breakfast adequate - the waiter was very friendly courteous and smiley. Reception staff were attentive and helpful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a no nonsense, no big frill stay - ideally located near the train station and all the sights... we loved it - well done.

• Liked — Location space and staff
  • Disliked — All okay
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2006

I'm not sure how this hotel stacks up against other two star hotels in Florence, but it was the worst two star hotel we encountered in our travels through France and Italy.
The bedspread may have been cleaned once in it's long lifetime, but I doubt it. Same for the blanket. You would think that in a city renowned for art and architecture they could have done something with the walls other than dingy yellow paint. Even some sort of picture might have helped. The room was utterly depressing. It also didn't help that 5 feet across from our window the building was being remodeled (the noise probably only affected the room we were in to any degree, and to be fair it was only during the day, but did preclude any sort of afternoon nap).

The staff was OK, but you wouldn't use the word enthusiastic. The breakfast room on the top floor was very nice and the food was typical except for the coffee which came from a machine and is in the running for the worst I've ever tasted.

On the plus side, the room and the bathroom were large and the room had a mini-bar (not well stocked, but with room for our stuff).

The location is probably the best thing about the Fiorita. It is very close to the train station, which is also the hub for city tour buses and for the CAF tour buses (which we took for a great tour of the Chianti region). And we found a wonderful restaurant not far away just south of the Piazza San Maria Novello. It is called La Martinique and it is on Via del Sole.

If you want this location you might try the Hotel Desiree which is in the same building as the Fiorita.

• Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
4 Thank hersheyabb
PERTH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2006

A lovely small hotel. Mix of friendly and not so friendly staff. A good breakfast with a beautiful view from the breakfast room. Rooms spacious and well maintained. Located very close to train station and major sightseeing only a 10 minutes walk away. Great rates and easy booking procedure on the hotel's website. Would highly recommend for those seeking budget to moderate accommodation.

1 Thank LILLYSPAD
Genoa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2006

The hotel is close to the railway station "Firenze Santa Maria Novella", very close to the city centre and in a perfect location to visit the city.

The room was clean, with air conditioning system, frigo bar, safe box, a wardrobe, a table and TV.

The bathroom was little but clean, ok for two young people like me and my friend.

The breakfast is not huge, but you can find all the necessaries, like coffee, cappucino, fruit juice, brioches, marmelade, and chocolate cream. The breakfast quality was good and from the breakfast lounge there is a good view on the zone surrounding the hotel.

The english breakfast was not available....but this is not a problem for me.

The personnel is ok.
I suggest this hotel.

• Liked — The hotel location in the city
  • Tips/Secrets — Visit the hotel website to verify if are available special offers
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2006

I stayed there and it is simply perfect for what I need. Great location, clean, quiet. It was just was I was looking for. I recomend it.

• Stayed February 2006, travelled on business
2 Thank Yo26
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Fiorita in June 2006 and it was a very pleasant stay. The hotel is in a wonderful location, not more than 100 meters from the train station, but in a side street where there was little or no noise. The room had double windows for the sound. The room was clean, with a bar fridge as well. Breakfast was basic but adequate. The only odd thing was the bedding which looked like curtains, but at leas it was clean & functional. Will definitely stay there again as it walking distance from all the sites but outside the centre of Florence where it seems to be very busy & noisy.

• Stayed June 2006