“The Sunflower will brighten any chilly, cloudy day.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Il Girasole Trattoria Pizzeria - CLOSED

Il Girasole Trattoria Pizzeria
Price range: US$21 - US$42
Neighbourhood: Duomo
Neighbourhood: Duomo
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
“The Sunflower will brighten any chilly, cloudy day.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013

Run by two very nice ladies. What is on the menu ?? Look into the display case. Except there is a NYC style sandwich menu on the wall, spread out on 3 chalk boards. Obviously I was the first person in a long time to notice and use the sandwich menu because when I asked for "panino quindici" I got a confused look from one of the ladies. I pointed to the wall and she looked up and nodded. Then there was an amusing conversation between the two ladies; "Can you make a sandwich for him" "Which one" "fifteen" "what" "sandwich fifteen" "what is that" "I don't know, you wrote it on the wall" This of course was in Italian. You can order from the display case among several home cooked casseroles, pizza and sandwiches made to order. And there are cookies on top of the display case. A small place with 6 small tables and 12-14 chairs. One of the ladies speaks very good English and the other knows enough to take your order. The Sunflower is great for a quick home cooked meal.

• Visited November 2012

• Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
“Pizza most amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2013

We had an apartment around the corner and two hungry teens so popped out to find some take away Pizza. The wonderful owner made it from scratch, even though she looked ready to close, and chatted to us while she cooked two of the most delicious pizzas I have tasted. Cheap, tasty and all homemade. Yum! We will be back.

• Visited January 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Outstanding service - You really should check this place out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012

We were delighted by our visit to Il Girasole. It's a bright and friendly pizzeria a couple of blocks north of Santa Croce. We sampled the smoked swordfish carpaccio and some of the pizzas, although the menu also has an extensive selection of land and sea entrees. The offerings were tasty and reasonable value; the house red was nothing to speak of, but we were also offered a taste of a really nice house spumanti.

The owner, Francesco, was incredibly friendly and spent a lot of the evening with us, as there weren't a lot of customers. It was by far the warmest service we've had in Florence, possibly anywhere. While I've enjoyed pretty much every meal I've had in Italy, this is the one place I'm thinking about making a return visit before we go.

• Visited December 2012
“Good meal & very friendly, helpful owner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012 via mobile

My wife and I had a very good meal of lamb, pasta with bacon and mushrooms and grilled vegetables. All reasonable prices. The restaurant is a little off the tourist path so fairly quiet but is only a 5 minute walk from Santa Croce. Francesco the co-owner was unbelievably helpful to us in helping sort out a Eurail problem we had over the phone (our Italian is very limited).

1 Thank Russell K
Huntington Beach, California
“Perfect spot to stop by the Duomo!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

Looking at tripadvisor for a great place for a panini and couldn't find the spot I wanted to go to and ran into this lovely little gem! It is a one woman shop, she is a happy little lady! I ordered the #6 and she informed me it was too hot and that salami was not as good, but not to worry, she will make me something better! Almost like watching your great aunt buzzing around her tiny kitchen, she chats away with you while making your panini. It was absolutely amazing!
The panini came hot with amazing brea that had a slight hint of salt which went great with the tomato. She came around and chatted with everyone and informed me she closes Friday (August 5th til September) I will definitely make my way back before they close in two days! I highly recommend, great local spot for those who dont want to fight a crowd and enjoy a true Italian experience! Treated just like family.

2 Thank Jillianc35