“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ars Opulenta Tours - CLOSED

Ars Opulenta Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Ars Opulenta - Private Custom Tours of Florence and its Environs. I'm Eugene Martinez, private art and history guide, licensed and authorized by the Province of Florence and the Region of Tuscany. I have a degree in in art history and graphic arts from New York University, am a native English speaker, and have been in Tuscany since 1982. I'm passionate about sharing my love and knowledge of the art and culture of Florence. With me, you'll discover that in Florence there is no art without history, no history without art and neither without food and wine. After all, the artists and their patrons had to eat! With me, you'll see that the paintings on the wall and the statues on their pedestals tell us about the people who made them, the people they worked for, the world they lived in. Would you like to combine the culture of art with the culture of food? "Cooking in Chianti"! Join chef and author Antonio Alfani for a day of cooking and feasting in the scenic setting of a converted 10th century church in the florentine Ghianti hills! Let's explore Florence's museums, galleries, churches, artists' studios and more. Mix it up, if you like, with a private tasting of Local delicacies or even of one of Florence's most essential contributions to the world - gelato! I'll turn your vacation in Florence into a Florentine experience you'll never forget.
Perth, Australia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Thank you so much Eugene for such an interesting and fascinating tour of the Uffizi. My husband, 14 year old daughter and I were captivated the entire time by the stories and the information you gave us about the pre Renaissance and Renaissance periods, the Medici, and about the art and sculpture we were seeing.
We could easily have listened to you for longer than the 3 hours we booked. Having you as a guide helped us to understand so much more than if we had just wandered through the Uffizi on our own. I am also very happy now that I know of the existence of The Tickling Madonna! We wish you all the best.

Visited October 2013

Halifax, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

My Canadian family and I spend the afternoon with Eugene exploring Frorence. I am not sure how to describe how passionate Eugene is. He is so interesting and on point , that my he sparked an interest with my 15 year old daugter. She was curious and engaged. . He knows his audience and in careful to find something for everyone. When we speak of Frorence we often quote some the facts tht he shared with us.

After we left our tour, we went to eat , and the server commented that she grew up in Frorence but would love for Eugene to take her on a tour. It that doesn't speak volumes I am not sure what will. A 15 year old and a life time Italian singing his praises.
When we return we will be looking him up.
Thanks for the great tour!!!!!!!

Visited August 2013
Quezon City, Philippines
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Edifying and enjoyable walking tour of Florence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

I engaged the services of Eugene for a private 3-hour walking tour of Florence. At the end of the tour, I had one big regret - that I had not booked for a much longer duration!

Eugene is a veritable encyclopedia of Florentine Renaissance history and art. If that makes him sound stuffy and pedantic - perish the thought. Eugene is a great story-teller and he captured our attention 100% throughout the tour. He fascinated us with historical accounts and explanations of sculptures and architectural details on churches and towers.

I would not hesitate to book another tour with Eugene, if I have the opportunity to return to Florence. Highly recommended!

Visited September 2013
Bonne Terre, Missouri
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“From the market to the Chianti hills”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

My wife and I spent an incredible day with Eugene and Chef Antonio Alfani. We met up with Eugene in front of the Medici Chapel and then proceeded to the central market. At 10 in the morning the market was bustling with vendors and patrons, the various stands were a sensory pleasure, the bright colors of various beans, lentils, and grain, the smell of cheese and smoked hams, fresh flowers, balsamic at the Conti family stand. Eugene was a fountain of interesting information, he responded quickly to our questions and adapted readily to the pace at which we wanted to make our way through the stands. He is well known and liked in the market and we felt like we were having a very special experience. Later in the day we went to Eugene's restored home in the Chianti hills there we met his partner Antonio Alfani. Antonio greeted us warmly with flutes of sparkling wine, he and I then began to prepare an incredible five course meal, each course complemented with just the perfect red wine. This was our fifth trip to Tuscany and this day by far was the best ever. Wonderful experiences with truly wonderful people.

Visited October 2013
Kennebunkport, Maine
4 attraction reviews
“Tuscan tour delighted all!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

The four of us were so fortunate to have had Eugene guide us around Tuscany for a full day of sights,history and wine tasting. His driver Thomaso picked us up at the hotel in Florence and navigated the streets out of the city like a true pro! ( This was during the Cycling World Championship when half the city of Florence was closed off due to the race!)
Eugene's style was relaxed and approachable and despite the ambitious agenda we planned, nobody ever felt rushed. His knowledge of the area was extensive and impressive, he provided us with so much more meaning and understanding of the different towns than we otherwise would have had. The private vineyard tour was the perfect way to end our eight hour unforgettable experience. Hat's off to you again , Eugene!

Visited September 2013