“What a Rip Off”

Neighbourhood: Duomo
Auckland, New Zealand
“What a Rip Off”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

A trendy cafe but a very much tourist rip off. We went in two weeks ago for a couple of baguettes when the cafe was just opened. Since we were in a rush, I didn't check the bill when I paid. Now after a second round of visit, I now checked my bill and noticed they charged us a coperto "service charge " of 2 Euros on our baguettes. It wasn't even a restaurant downstairs, simply a coffee shop.

Since I didn't check the bill at the time, we actually went back for lunch on the same day (this is before I checked the first visit receipt). We were 2 adults with a 21 month old toddler. Since my husband paid, I didn't get to audit the bill until we left the cafe/restaurant. Believe it or not, they dared to charge us coperto "service charge" for 3 people, which is 2 Euros each. When we asked for tap water, the waitress simply replied with "no gas", walked away and came back with a jar of water, which we saw other tables were having the same. Later, I found out that they charged us 3 Euros for a jar of water which to me didn't even taste like a distilled mineral water as it never came in a brand new opened bottle. There were lots of jugs of water prepared already in a corner upstairs. So all in all, I felt completely ripped off by this trendy cafe in Firenze.

To be fair, the upside of this cafe was that the cafe was clean and trendy, and the food pricing was not aggressive plus the food quality was actually not bad. Since it was a comfortable sitting thats why we went back twice ( before we checked the receipt).

I would had wished they had charged more fairly. We go to Italy at least twice a year and this leaves a bad impression of Firenze to us as tourists. The shocking fact was this is the first time a cafe dares to charge coperto on baguettes and a coperto service charge on a toddler. Even Michelin Star and more high end restaurants (and osteria) in other parts of Italy and Spain had been fair in NOT charging a toddler a cover charge.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Bruno M

Firenze
“Trendy but too high-speed!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

All-in-all, I enjoyed my visit to La Boulangerie del Rifrullo! The food is well-presented and tasty, the location is modern and trendy, the bathroom is clean and the prices are reasonable if you consider those in other eating houses in the centre.
However, I did have a few complaints! I didn't like the seating arrangements...they have those high chairs on which you can't sit comfortably if your skirt is even a centimetre above calf-length and while some look out on to the street, others sit you facing the wall!
Also, beware of the 2 euro service charge, which costs exactly half again the price of your baguette, and of the servers, who are just a tad over-enthusiastic, whipping your plate out from under your nose the moment you have finished...
In any case, worth a visit for a quick lunch downtown.

• Visited September 2013
Oradea, Romania
“Very good beef tartar”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

As we weren't very hungry at about 1PM we decided to take one beef tartar and share it for lunch. It was sooo good that we decided to return to eat another one before closing time, at about 5-6 PM, I don't remember exactly, but unfortunately they had almost nothing to eat let alone beef tartar :(
It was one of the best we've ever eaten and it was not expensive at all. I kept the receipt so here it is:
coperto 2
cafe 2
cappuccino 2.2
tartara manzo 9
1L acqua minerale 2
total=17.2

Service was ok,quick enough, nice location on the way from the S.Novella to the city center so you can quickly grab a good meal and coffee.
It's nor big or fancy but it's not a restaurant - they mainly serve sandwiches - but do try the tartar because it's definitely worth it! I saw near me o local guy serving salmon tartar and it looked awesome too ;)

• Visited July 2013
Barcelona, España
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A tourist rip-off”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

Our only bad experience in Fiorenze: a rude waitress charges us higher prices than the ones stated in the menu list. No use arguing with her.
Go to any other place, you'll get better served for sure.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank 768Mrc
Firenze
“Not bad for downtown considering you can sit!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

I don't think the negative reviews on TA and on Foursquare correctly reflect the price for location value of this restaurant. It's a good place for a lunch with friends or for business if you need to catch lunch downtown. You can sit for about as long as you want. The service is not particularly exceptional, and the water is overpriced, but the food is reasonably priced and fine for a light lunch (salads, burgers and sandwiches). I come here for this purpose about once a month.

• Visited April 2012