“Ok budget hotel - however very noisey at night and lacked air con”
Review of Hotel Magenta

Hotel Magenta
Ranked #265 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 5 October 2012

I was quite disappointed with this hotel after the glowing reviews I read before booking. Our stay here was quite different.

The hotel room itself was clean and had decent facilities but yes the bathroom is very very small. However our room on the second floor lacked air con and therefore being able to sleep / getting ready was very difficult! We ended up having to open the windows to let in a draft and then couldnt sleep at nights because of the constant noise - people, cars, dogs! As another side effect the room would get filled with mosqitos - leaving us with some nasty bites as a reminder of our stay!

Location wise - the hotel was ok I guess although it was a 15 minutes walk along the arno away from the ponte vecchio - if walking away from the uffizi. Whilst this wasnt a problem - I think staying closer would have been better given we'd spend all day walking around and then had a trek to the hotel at the end of the day as well.

Breakfasts at the hotel were typical and basic (and often minimal) - although I have to admit the cappuccinos were fantastic.

Staff - very friendly always said hello and tried to help with queries, however some were more helpful than others. One evening we tried to ask for a taxi and were told 'there are no taxis in florence tonight' after the receptionist tried and failed with the one taxi company he was calling. The same person was very unhelpful when asking for tips re wine tasting tours.

I hope to return to florence sometime and probably wont return to hotel magenta after this experience. I think if you are after somewhere basic and cheap (and poss in cooler months) go for it - however there were lots of better places for the same budget closer to the centre.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank TravellingPocket
There are newer reviews for Hotel Magenta

Reviewed 17 August 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights. Owners very friendly and great for asking information about Florence. Parking for our van was around corner. Room was originally set up as two beds, 2nd day staff joined the beds into one. Room very simply decorated but was spacious and clean.Had an early trip the 1st day so were too early for breakfast. A bus group arrived that day so next morning at breakfast was a bit crowded, staff were kept very busy with this group making coffees etc and a bit slow in clearing the tables, and restocking the food, but as we weren't in any rush this was not an issue. Able to walk easily to main sights of Florence, quiet location. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ikedeb
Reviewed 5 August 2012

My husband and I (ages 62 & 70) arrived in Florence by train from Rome May 2012. As advertised, it was an easy walk while rolling suitcases from the train station - maybe 10-15 minutes. The hotel is newly remodeled - very modern and clean. We were greeted by the owners son Nedd? We just loved him. He was so nice, helpful and really went the extra mile. He asked what we wanted to see while in Florence and made reservations for us for us at various attractions, the next day which helped with the wait times.

Our room was large and had two single beds that were very comfortable. The room, the linens and bathroom were very clean. When we made reservations, we asked to be on the back side of the hotel and as a result it was very quiet - a good nights sleep is more important to us than a view. The rooms are simple, not luxurious - the photos on the internet represents it well. I see some reviews complaining about small bathrooms. They must vary in size because ours was adequate and clean, which is most important to me. (Side note: I loved the liquid soap in the bathroom. It was a locally made product. When I got home I found it on the internet, but can't find any sellers that ship to the US, so if you like it buy some in italy before coming home.)

I'm not a good one to comment on breakfast because I rarely eat it, but my husband said the coffee, etc was very good. The rest looked typical and was about the same in every mid-priced hotel we stayed in - pastries, nutella, meats, cheeses. I prefer to eat out.

My husband estimated about a 15 min walk to the ponte vechio - along the Arno River, I thought it might have been a little further, but hey, you are walking along the Arno River in Florence! It was not hilly like Rome - just nice and flat. I don't think we ever walked straight there, but stopped at ATMs, shops, photos of the river, etc.

For me, one major factor in picking hotels is by the reviews of how they handle problems. We had two situations that were a little out of the ordinary. I got the flu on the last day in Florence. They let me stay in the room and sleep a couple of hours after the check out time, while my husband did some last minute sightseeing. And I dropped my eyebrow pencil down the drain. I could see it, but could not reach it. I was concerned about stopping up their drain. I told the front desk what happened, the owner called her son at home and asked him to bring in a long pair of tweezers.

We were having a problem with one of our credit cards and had a lengthy call to our bank in the states. We were expecting an expensive call, but they did not charge us anything.

We would definately stay here again

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gwen B
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Stayed here last week for three nights and I cannot fault the hotel at all. I had a single room which was a reasonable size with a large bathroom. The bed was really comfy and the linen of superb quality. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Great location, just 5 mins walk to the Santa Maria Novella square and the shops. Would recommend staying here, not too pricey either.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I can't believe I found this place through an online coupon service, (Living Social) A quick drive from the train station. Nedde (spelling?) the owner's son was amazing! Really cute and so welcoming and eager to please! We had a lovely complimentary glass of wine in the adorable lobby/bar area, the breakfast was fantastic!!! Loved the cappachino which was fresh and didn't come from a machine. Everything was wonderful! The location was great, just a short walk to the center of town as well as the river and it's gorgeous bridges. The staff offered to make reservations for us at nearby restaurants as well as for avoiding waiting in lines for attractions. The room was marvelous!! Very comfortable, didn't have any problems with the shower as previous reviewers have mentioned. The bed was very comfortable and loved the free internet and free call each day to the US! Would recommend this hotel to everyone!!

Room Tip: Stay here!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2012

would go back; very friendly and helpful staff. even free call back to the usa. easy location near the arno river; UFFIZZI about 15 min. walk. quiet large rooms. large people won't fit in the shower. sitting area, small bar, good colatzione (sp?)

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 May 2012

My room was large and airy. The bed was comfortable and it was quiet. The breakfast was acceptable, especially as they make the coffee fresh and it is not out of a machine. What let it down for me was the size of the bathroom. It was too narrow even to dry yourself properly from the shower. There was nowhere to put toiletries and if I had been staying for more than one night it would have been very inconvenient. They could easily have taken a small space from the room to make the bathroom more spacious and fitted it out better.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo