“The worst hotel in which I was”

Grand Hotel Baglioni Firenze
Ranked #107 of 421 Hotels in Florence
“The worst hotel in which I was”
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel has a 4 star, but by all should have one. I am disappointed that the staff is rude and mocking. Breakfast is poor. The rooms are decent but old and smelly. There are many expensive for what it offers all kind. The only good thing is the terrace on the roof with a great view, but it was unfortunately for us, guests, unavailable. Explanation is so confusing that it did not know whether it was all booked and it was closed because of the rain, which was one of the bartenders predicted for that night. I was left with very bad memories of this hotel and will not recommend it to anyone.

Stayed July 2014
5 Thank Danko D
BaglioniHotelmanager, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Baglioni Firenze, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Sir,
As I could already reply to other of your colleagues’ reviews, it is unfortunate that you had to deal with rudeness and mocking attitude but, I can assure you, that is not our standard of service.
It is my highest priority to look into this matter and investigate on what lead you and all your party have such a low opinion on us.
It personally hurts me that you will only keep bad memories of us because my goal is to give our guests the time of their lives so be sure it will not happen again.
Thanks a lot for your feedback.
Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I recently stayed in this hotel with my family while visiting Florence and was grossly disappointed mainly because of the service. Everything seemed like an annoyance to the staff and we generally felt that we were being actively avoided by the hotel staff when confronting them with simple questions or concerns.

First the positives:

The hotel is gorgeous and convenient to the city. The restaurant for dinner has an excellent view of the city and the food was great--service in the restaurant for dinner seemed to march to a different tune than the remainder of the hotel. The rooms were relatively spacious and in contrast to many of the places we stayed in Germany and Rome, the air conditioning was rather robust.

Now on to the negatives:

1. The staff were horribly rude and scant. As I said earlier, they tended to scatter when we approached the desk and this seemed deliberate in nature. My Italian is poor, but I know enough to know that we were commonly talked about after walking away from the desk with a question as simple as "where is a quick restaurant in the vicinity." There have been a number of prior rebuttals by management about prior reviews, but as compared to concrete complaints about hair dryers and mechanical issues that need to be resolved, there is no excuse for rudeness from a staff in what is supposed to be a 5-star hotel that should realize tourism keeps it afloat. I could list additional examples, but take my word that rudeness abounded.

2. The beds were incredibly hard. This was not a huge issue since we were typically dog-tired, but hotels elsewhere in Italy seemed to have addressed this issue.

3. Breakfast was sub-par as compared to other hotels in Italy. This hotel for example was more expensive than our hotel in Rome and when we asked for orange juice at breakfast, we were informed that it was extra. And, of course, our requests during breakfast were generally met with sneering and aggravation.

So in closing I would recommend booking the restaurant for dinner and then staying elsewhere. You may get glared at in the lobby, but just head upstairs and the restaurant will be worth it. Make sure to ask for the true rooftop garden which has the awesome views.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Jonathan T
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We recently stayed in this hotel on our tour of Italy. We arrived at the train station (S. M. Novella) from Rome and we were pleased to find that the hotel was a very short walk through an underpass to the hotel. This hotel is older and rustic but we like that about the hotel. The doors were a little bit difficult to operate but once you learn the procedure, it worked well. The staff was responsive and kept the room clean. The Internet was a little slow but I have to get used to that in italy. There is an Irish pub about one block from the hotel which was great news for us beer lovers in the beer wasteland of Europe. I would recommend this hotel as being very convenient to the train station and the city center as well as a whole host of excellent restaurants. We did not need to use any public transportation to get anywhere we needed to go in Florence. The included breakfast buffet and the rooftop restaurant was excellent every day. I can live on Caprese salad. This hotel is a great base operations for exploring historical Florence. When in Italy, you need to make sure that you have the European plug with skinnier prongs. A standard European adapter would not fit into the Italian electrical plugs in this hotel. Luckily, I brought both.

1 Thank shhanson
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This hotel is located walking distance from the train station. It is walkable distance to all major attractions.
The room for hotel breakfast has beautiful view of Florence. I loved it.

It is a big hotel. It gets too crowded at check in/Check out desk and breakfast. The service gets too slow but it is a typical big hotel thing. I understand it.

I am glad that I picked this hotel to stay in Florence. I would highly recommend this hotel for everybody.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

I booked a suite at 450 euros or thereabouts three months ago and was guaranteed a suite with a view.
Upon arrival the room given was nothing like the photo on website and if you look at the photos I have attached you will see the 'view' is a wall.
In the evening I asked for a bottle of water when I was back in the room having just spent with friends in the four figures at dinner on the roof terrace. Upon my request for a bottle of water - Claudio- a man who truely insults the hospitality industry - and laughably the head waiter- suggested I pop up
and get the water.
I called downstairs and spoke to Tomasso who said it 'is not my problem' and eventually slammed the phone in my face.

Seriously classy staff at this Summit hotel. Lol

Since my arrival I have been asking to use the 'free' wifi. And have been told repeatedly that it is only my IPad that does work.

However just now when I went down there was a line of people with similar problems but the man behind the reception - Lupo- could bearly be bothered to give is the time of day.

Again yesterday- after explaining to the head reception chap about water incident - was AGAIN told if I wanted water to go to the bar.
(450euros a night)

I was entertaining guests for drinks at the roof terrace which has a lovely view. We wanted to order drinks. The waiters refused to take out order as they were busy and suggested we go order ourselves.

I think you get the gist of this horror story?

The only saving grace to this revolting hotel is Pier Pertici who was lovely.

Truely - unless a fan of camping and chucking your money out- AVOID AVOID AVOID

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank KarimBassatne
BaglioniHotelmanager, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Baglioni Firenze, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Guest,
I am sorry to understand that we did not match your expectation and I would like to thank you for the time you dedicated to give us your opinion. Your review will be of great use to me as I have already said to other guests that stayed here during the same period.
I am already taking care of what happened and I have made sure that things like the ones you have described will not happen again.
Thanks a lot for your cooperation.
Regards
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This hotel has two spectacular features: its location and its roof top. It is conveniently located near the main train station and is a very short walk to the Duomo, Santa Maria Novella, Mercato Centrale as well as tons of great shopping. That means you can see all of these spectacular sites from the gorgeous roof top terrace. One of our most lovely and relaxing evenings in Italy was a picnic dinner from the market followed by sipping prosecco on the roof top overlooking all of Florence. The bedroom and bathroom were large and clean but also dark and noisy. We couldn't tell if the talking was from next-door, above or in the courtyard but they could be heard very clearly. Wi-Fi was good throughout the hotel. Breakfast was also very good.

Room Tip: Ask if there is a more quite section of the hotel, but not sure there is.