“Best Roof top view of Florence”

Grand Hotel Baglioni Firenze
Ranked #104 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This Hotel has recently renovated their roof top terrace. The new terrace has several semi-private stand alone tables to sit at. The views of the city and especially the Duomo are absolutely amazing. It is a great place to enjoy a bottle of wine and take in the view. This is a must see when in Florence.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Antelope B
Write a ReviewReviews (2,448)

Reviewed 9 July 2014

The staff must be getting on and writing a good review for every bad one posted- just as they did in their guest book in the lobby of the hotel, which is filled with negative reviews from guests. THERE IS NO OTHER WAY THIS HOTEL WOULD BE RANKED 4 STARS. The staff is incredibly rude. I often caught them rolling their eyes at me, my family members, and other guests, breathing heavily in annoyance when asked questions or for directions, and mocking people as they walked away from the concierge and check-in desks. The breakfast is poor and the people working it are once again VERY RUDE. For example, when I told them we had 6 people the hostess rolled his eyes and made a comment about it being so many people. I then asked if seating 6 people was a problem and he just shook his head. The rooms are okay at best but not nearly worth the exuberant price in which they cost. The only good thing is the terrace restaurant on the roof (for the view, not the service or food).

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Audrey T
BaglioniHotelmanager, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Baglioni Firenze, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Sir / Madam
I understand that you and your party had a very hard time during your recent stay here.
I hope you will believe me when I tell you that the large majority of our guests are satisfied by our service and that we have many repeat guests, some of them coming weekly.
This is why it is hard for me to clearly get the exact picture of what happened as you all
seem to have had a very bad experience with our staff, both at the front desk and in our restaurant.
As you all stayed here together, during the same weekend, I can only think that our staff
badly responded to an unexpected level of stress, resulting in what you felt like lack of attention.
That is of course unacceptable and unjustifiable so please accept my deepest apologies.
I promise you that your comment will not be unheard.
Many Thanks

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel 3 nights because of a meeting held there. Our room had no view at all, just a stained glass covered window. We asked to change, but was told that we could not. I had trouble with one of the managers who claimed that my passport wasn't in the computer, although I had shown it the day before at check in. He was really rude. The room key system is electronic and often malfunctioned so I was asked over and over again to document my identity. The concierge was not helpful when I needed to call a particular office that spoke no English. Several of the staff members (though not all) treat tourists badly. The first night we woke up freezing and could not lower the air conditioning. I did not want a tech person in the room in the middle of the night, so put on a sweater and suffered. The next morning, the front desk explained that only they could change the temperature from the front desk by computer. There is no such information posted in the room. The breakfast was terrible if you did not want to eat fattening gluten and sugar. The fruit was canned or not at all ripe and edible. They cook their bacon in a microwave so that it tastes like leather floating in grease. We moved to a hotel in the area that was more than a 100 Euros cheaper per night and the breakfast was so much better. The staff was so much nicer there. But the worst experience at the Grand Baglioni was the theft of a money belt, credit card, and passport left by accident in an open suitcase. Right out of the room. Of course the hotel denies that this could have happened. Our friend's passport was also taken out of her bag in the hotel's restaurant during a party for our group. Stolen passports are common in Italy and this hotel seems to be a target. When we had to make emergency calls collect, the hotel tried to overcharge us, but we disputed those charges successfully. This hotel was an extraordinary unpleasant experience. Not recommended! There are many other hotels in the area that are a better choice.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank ScoopTraveler
BaglioniHotelmanager, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Baglioni Firenze, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Guest,
As I replied to your travel mates in the other reviews, I am sure that you and your party had a very uncomfortable stay and for that I am very sorry. However I believe that the description you give of our respectable firm is unfair and libelous. We accept all sorts of critics and we listen to every single one because your feedback is the best way to become aware of problems and try to
solve them. In fact you can be sure that all your comments on our staff and our kitchen have all my attention and I will deal with them immediately. Your final allegation though is obnoxious and unfounded as you did not give us the chance to verify what you are stating nor to help you in the searchof the missing items. In addition to that you do not mention in your review that your husband gave another verion of the facts. Nevertheless I am sure that you will be ready to stand by your allegations in case we decide to defend our respectability in the proper place.
Regards

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Good hotel with great location! Best hotel we stated at in Italy... Train station real close so u can do a day trip to Cinque Terre of u like... Old vintage style rooms with good concierge for info... St. Mary's basilica real close and square ..

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank BrokerTone
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The rooms smell terrible. The employees are rude. It's old and poorly maintained. Awful location. Air condition broke. Overpriced. Crawling with gypsies. DO NOT STAY HERE OR GIVE THESE PEOPLE ANY BUSINESS.

• Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank Amazing_Gypsy

Dear Sir,
I am always grateful to everybody who takes some time to give us pieces of advise or even to harshly criticize us .This time though, it is hard for me to see what I can do after such a negative and synthetic review. I am sure you have good reasons to have such a low opinion on us but this way it is impossible for me to understand and take the right actions to solve problems.
I sincerely hope that you will find just another bit of time to write me and give further information about what went wrong during your stay here. Please also accept my apologies on behalf of my staff for any inappropriate behavior. Thanks a lot for your precious cooperation.
With warmest regards.

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel has a 4 star, but by all should have one. I am disappointed that the staff is rude and mocking. Breakfast is poor. The rooms are decent but old and smelly. There are many expensive for what it offers all kind. The only good thing is the terrace on the roof with a great view, but it was unfortunately for us, guests, unavailable. Explanation is so confusing that it did not know whether it was all booked and it was closed because of the rain, which was one of the bartenders predicted for that night. I was left with very bad memories of this hotel and will not recommend it to anyone.

Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank Danko D

Dear Sir,
As I could already reply to other of your colleagues’ reviews, it is unfortunate that you had to deal with rudeness and mocking attitude but, I can assure you, that is not our standard of service.
It is my highest priority to look into this matter and investigate on what lead you and all your party have such a low opinion on us.
It personally hurts me that you will only keep bad memories of us because my goal is to give our guests the time of their lives so be sure it will not happen again.
Thanks a lot for your feedback.
Regards

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I recently stayed in this hotel with my family while visiting Florence and was grossly disappointed mainly because of the service. Everything seemed like an annoyance to the staff and we generally felt that we were being actively avoided by the hotel staff when confronting them with simple questions or concerns.

First the positives:

The hotel is gorgeous and convenient to the city. The restaurant for dinner has an excellent view of the city and the food was great--service in the restaurant for dinner seemed to march to a different tune than the remainder of the hotel. The rooms were relatively spacious and in contrast to many of the places we stayed in Germany and Rome, the air conditioning was rather robust.

Now on to the negatives:

1. The staff were horribly rude and scant. As I said earlier, they tended to scatter when we approached the desk and this seemed deliberate in nature. My Italian is poor, but I know enough to know that we were commonly talked about after walking away from the desk with a question as simple as "where is a quick restaurant in the vicinity." There have been a number of prior rebuttals by management about prior reviews, but as compared to concrete complaints about hair dryers and mechanical issues that need to be resolved, there is no excuse for rudeness from a staff in what is supposed to be a 5-star hotel that should realize tourism keeps it afloat. I could list additional examples, but take my word that rudeness abounded.

2. The beds were incredibly hard. This was not a huge issue since we were typically dog-tired, but hotels elsewhere in Italy seemed to have addressed this issue.

3. Breakfast was sub-par as compared to other hotels in Italy. This hotel for example was more expensive than our hotel in Rome and when we asked for orange juice at breakfast, we were informed that it was extra. And, of course, our requests during breakfast were generally met with sneering and aggravation.

So in closing I would recommend booking the restaurant for dinner and then staying elsewhere. You may get glared at in the lobby, but just head upstairs and the restaurant will be worth it. Make sure to ask for the true rooftop garden which has the awesome views.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family