“City break in Florence”

Grand Hotel Baglioni Firenze
Ranked #105 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My friend and I stayed at the 4 star Grand Hotel Baglioni in Florence recently and were very disappointed with this hotel. The room we stayed in was supposed to be a deluxe room (Room 127) but if this was a deluxe room I feel very sorry for the people that stay in their standard rooms. The room we had was very small and dark, dark furniture, poor lighting and a small stained glass window did not help the overall effect. We were directly above an enclosed courtyard where the kitchen was located hence it was quite noisy. Also there was additional noise that came from a plumbing waste pipe which was situated right outside the bedroom window. Every time someone used the toilet or took a shower we were woken up by the noise of the water velocity in the waste pipe. The redeeming feature of this hotel for us was, in fact, the lovely bathroom and also the rooftop bar/restaurant. The staff here were friendly and accommodating, unlike the staff on reception who were the complete opposite. On a plus side this hotel is very conveniently located for exploring Florence and very handy for buses and trains.

Room Tip: If offered room 127 refuse it. Get a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,443)

Reviewed 17 July 2014

The pros:
1- Location.
2- The room I got is quaint, it has a historical caracter, and is clean.
3- The breakfast Buffet offers a decent continental menu. It is served in the roof top restaurant which has a superb panoramic view on the Duomo.
4-Good Internet connection.

The cons:
1- The single room that I got is not spacious. The bed is, as mentioned in the booking, 80cm wide. Also, the shower enclouure does not exceed 80 x 80 cm.
2- The roof top restaurant is busy and noisy from 9 pm until midnight.
3- The receptionists are "just correct", with a snooty attitude. Or at lease to far from the obsequious low profile receptionists.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank GiseleTrvlr
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed one night at this hotel and enjoyed the service, our room and the wonderful continental breakfast with great views of Florence. The location was perfecto! We easily explored the city and were right across from the train for our morning tour.

Room Tip: There was a bit of street noise on the side with the parking lot, so if you travel with small childr...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This Hotel has recently renovated their roof top terrace. The new terrace has several semi-private stand alone tables to sit at. The views of the city and especially the Duomo are absolutely amazing. It is a great place to enjoy a bottle of wine and take in the view. This is a must see when in Florence.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Antelope B
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The staff must be getting on and writing a good review for every bad one posted- just as they did in their guest book in the lobby of the hotel, which is filled with negative reviews from guests. THERE IS NO OTHER WAY THIS HOTEL WOULD BE RANKED 4 STARS. The staff is incredibly rude. I often caught them rolling their eyes at me, my family members, and other guests, breathing heavily in annoyance when asked questions or for directions, and mocking people as they walked away from the concierge and check-in desks. The breakfast is poor and the people working it are once again VERY RUDE. For example, when I told them we had 6 people the hostess rolled his eyes and made a comment about it being so many people. I then asked if seating 6 people was a problem and he just shook his head. The rooms are okay at best but not nearly worth the exuberant price in which they cost. The only good thing is the terrace restaurant on the roof (for the view, not the service or food).

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Audrey T
BaglioniHotelmanager, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Baglioni Firenze, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Sir / Madam
I understand that you and your party had a very hard time during your recent stay here.
I hope you will believe me when I tell you that the large majority of our guests are satisfied by our service and that we have many repeat guests, some of them coming weekly.
This is why it is hard for me to clearly get the exact picture of what happened as you all
seem to have had a very bad experience with our staff, both at the front desk and in our restaurant.
As you all stayed here together, during the same weekend, I can only think that our staff
badly responded to an unexpected level of stress, resulting in what you felt like lack of attention.
That is of course unacceptable and unjustifiable so please accept my deepest apologies.
I promise you that your comment will not be unheard.
Many Thanks

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel 3 nights because of a meeting held there. Our room had no view at all, just a stained glass covered window. We asked to change, but was told that we could not. I had trouble with one of the managers who claimed that my passport wasn't in the computer, although I had shown it the day before at check in. He was really rude. The room key system is electronic and often malfunctioned so I was asked over and over again to document my identity. The concierge was not helpful when I needed to call a particular office that spoke no English. Several of the staff members (though not all) treat tourists badly. The first night we woke up freezing and could not lower the air conditioning. I did not want a tech person in the room in the middle of the night, so put on a sweater and suffered. The next morning, the front desk explained that only they could change the temperature from the front desk by computer. There is no such information posted in the room. The breakfast was terrible if you did not want to eat fattening gluten and sugar. The fruit was canned or not at all ripe and edible. They cook their bacon in a microwave so that it tastes like leather floating in grease. We moved to a hotel in the area that was more than a 100 Euros cheaper per night and the breakfast was so much better. The staff was so much nicer there. But the worst experience at the Grand Baglioni was the theft of a money belt, credit card, and passport left by accident in an open suitcase. Right out of the room. Of course the hotel denies that this could have happened. Our friend's passport was also taken out of her bag in the hotel's restaurant during a party for our group. Stolen passports are common in Italy and this hotel seems to be a target. When we had to make emergency calls collect, the hotel tried to overcharge us, but we disputed those charges successfully. This hotel was an extraordinary unpleasant experience. Not recommended! There are many other hotels in the area that are a better choice.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank ScoopTraveler
BaglioniHotelmanager, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Baglioni Firenze, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Guest,
As I replied to your travel mates in the other reviews, I am sure that you and your party had a very uncomfortable stay and for that I am very sorry. However I believe that the description you give of our respectable firm is unfair and libelous. We accept all sorts of critics and we listen to every single one because your feedback is the best way to become aware of problems and try to
solve them. In fact you can be sure that all your comments on our staff and our kitchen have all my attention and I will deal with them immediately. Your final allegation though is obnoxious and unfounded as you did not give us the chance to verify what you are stating nor to help you in the searchof the missing items. In addition to that you do not mention in your review that your husband gave another verion of the facts. Nevertheless I am sure that you will be ready to stand by your allegations in case we decide to defend our respectability in the proper place.
Regards

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Good hotel with great location! Best hotel we stated at in Italy... Train station real close so u can do a day trip to Cinque Terre of u like... Old vintage style rooms with good concierge for info... St. Mary's basilica real close and square ..

Stayed: July 2014