“Not as enjoyable as it should have been...”

FH Grand Hotel Mediterraneo
Ranked #196 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I wasn't really able to enjoy myself as much as I wanted to. There were way too many tourist buses nonstop, therefore it was overcrowded at times. The staff may have been a little undermanned for such a rush of people but I'm sure they handled it as best as they could have. I'm not sure if there was a special event going on but there were constant bus loads of people.

I also received confusing information as far as my pets. I was told that it was fine if I bought them. I received numerous compliments on how well they were behaved from the staff and guests. People even took pictures with my dogs. With them being trained show dogs, I receive this kind of attention very often. Even a nice young man on their staff bought my dogs a bone!

The part that was confusing is an older man that was working, the bellhop I'm guessing told my friend that it was hotel policy/regulation to have mussels on my dogs or we could not stay. No one told us this at all, and then as soon as this incident happened, I received a call from the desk saying that my dogs were running the corridor??? This was strange because I never let the dogs roam without leashes, and even at the time, hotel guests were taking pictures with my dogs. The only person that had something negative to say was the older man, so I'm still a little lost as far as what really happened because it was never clarified.

As far as service, there were three people that had the best service hands down to me overall. I wish I remembered their names. One was the woman that worked the American Bar...The other two were a young woman and young man that were wearing black suits and showing people to their rooms.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 May 2012

Located right along the river front, and about a mile and easy walking distance from the city center, this is a great hotel to stay in. The restaurant is very good also. There is a stand up bar across the street in the park along the river front.

Room Tip: We had a balcany view of the river. Great room and we slept with the slider open. Could be noisey...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Crammed with people, plastic cups for nearly everything. Staff run off their feet. Didn't enjoy at all.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank jimbells
Reviewed 22 May 2012

A comfortable and well presented hotel in the mid-range price level. For what is provided (location, room amenities and ample breakfast), its good value for money.

A clean room, with facilities all working is always a good thing. The air con was way too warm and we couldn't adjust it, so had to crank the window to open to let in some winter's air....worked well!

As for breakfast, more than you can eat...it was good!

Room Tip: choose a room not facing the road the hotel is on, it'll be quieter and make for a better sleep...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LawrenceGuanTeoh
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Travelling with Trafalgar Tours, we did not have choices for Hotels. This Hotel is very conveniently located close to all attractions. You can easily walk the path or sidewalk by the river to the town square. Very quiet area for you to stay.
Hotel itself is quite large. There are different wings for which to stay at. Because of being with a tour, we were in a wing which if you were not paying close attention as to how to get to the breakfast room, you would need directions/help.
Rooms were on the smaller side, but that is not unusual. Bathroom had all you needed for a nights stay.
Breakfast was like all the other hotels. Eggs, bacon which was limp and not done. Bacon, if you eat it, should be crisp and fried, not raw. Coffee again was from "machines" so that was a disappointment. I understand that the hotel has many to cater to, but that is your business.
Breakfast will get you through until your next meal.
I cannot comment on price, as was with a tour group, but it seemed ok.
Nothing special

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank auntierainey
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Very impressed with the services offered by this hotel and the professionalism of the staff.
I would gladly return in my next vacations.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bart H
Reviewed 16 May 2012

We stayed at this hotel as part of a group tour, so I can't attest to the value for money spent.

The hotel is conveniently located within reasonable walking distance of the main city squares, while still being far enough away to be quiet.

The room was on the smaller side with comfortable beds and a nice sized tub. Unfortunately the layout of the rooms was such that the bathroom of your neighbour is directly next to the head of your bed. The walls are rather thin so it very easy to hear what was happening in your neighbour's bathroom (and for them to hear you if the knocking on the walls was any indication!). I suspect if we hadn't been so tired from travelling it may have been difficult to sleep, especially if one had chatty neighbours.

If you are not a light sleeper I would recommend this hotel based on it's location alone.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple