“Grand Hotel !”

Ranked #51 of 412 Hotels in Florence
Belo Horizonte, MG
“Grand Hotel !”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I stayed at Grand Hotel Minerva in Florence with my wife during our vacation and we enjoyed a lot.
The location is very nice, close to the Train Station and close to the all main attraction of Florence. It is not a brand new hotel but it is completely renovated and very well maintained. The team is kind and efficient. The room is very good with nice space and good furniture. The bathroom is big and well equiped. Very Clean and with a complete breakfast: good mix and high quality. There is a swimming pool at the roof top that provide an amazing view of Florence.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Nice pool area and lovely reception area but our room had no window other than a skylight, was tiny and smelled really bad. In three weeks traveling through Italy this was the worst hotel we stayed at. The good thing was we were in Florence and therefore didn't spend a lot of time in the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
FilippoBurroni, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Minerva, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Dear Guest,
I am truly sorry that your stay did not prove entirely satisfactory. Right at the beginning of August we had to perform some works on the plumbing system and a nasty smell has appeared randomly in some rooms. I hope you will accept my belated apologies about this. I presume you just stayed one night with us, otherwise our staff, informed of your dissatisfaction with the room would have surely given you the opportunity to change it. In any case I would like to exhort our common readers to report as soon as possible any issue they may encounter, in order to give us the opportunity to find a better solution and, ultimately, to have a better stay.

Should you come back to Florence, I hope you will give us a second chance. In case, please feel free to directly contact me at fburroni@grandhotelminerva.com, so that I can arrange your stay in the best possible fashion.
With my kindest regards,

Filippo Burroni – General Manager
Melbourne, Victoria
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights (friday and saturday) in July. After the train ride from Rome and the warm temperatures in Italy the 5 minute walk from the Train station was quick and easy. As others have said it is in a great location in the square, Check in was a breeze and within moments were were in our "suite".
After unloading our bags we heading to the rooftop to cool off with a relax by the pool and quick dip before dinner in Florence.
The suite we were in on the 4th floor was nice enough it just didnt seem to live up the name or the price. The bathroom was very small and dated, the shower was in the bath which had an incredibly low ceiling so being tall i had to bend down to get my hair wet.
The Queen size bed was two singles pushed together but the beds were completly different to each other, so where my wife had a lovely medium soft bed, i had the lumpy rock hard bed.
Being so hot in Florence the Air-conditioner was a must but it was a noisy seperate unit in a corner of the bedroom.
Wifi was not available in the suite either as the suite was at the back of the corrider and the and the wireless points were mounted at the other end of the corrider. So everytime you needed the internet you had to walk outside you room.
The rooftop pool was nice enough but despite the signs there were kids jumping in and "bombing" all the time with staff not saying a word.

On the plus side the breakfast was vast and plentiful, the staff very polite and helpful and teh location is great.

Would i stay here again? Maybe, but only in a standard room.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the square may have the views but are noisy with people gathering there late at ni...
Dear Guest,
Thank you for having stayed with us and for dedicating your time for a review. I am sorry about the inconveniences which have dotted your stay. From the description of your room I assume you booked a Junior Suite and not a “Senior” Suite and I would like to inform readers that on our website they are respectively labeled as “Junior Suite” and simply “Suite”.
Regarding Internet I would like to say that it is normally working in every room. It is possible that the antenna dedicated to your floor was not working properly during your stay and in need of being reset and that you were capturing the signal from a farther one.
As to the mattresses I am informing TA users that most of our rooms have two twins that are made up to a large bed or kept separate depending on our guests’ needs. Please accept my apologies for the difference in softness/hardness.
I sincerely hope you will reconsider us for your future stay in Florence. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at fborroni@grandhotelminerva.com in order to give me the opportunity to organize your stay in the best possible way.

With my kindest regards,
Filippo Burroni – General Manager
Bala Cynwyd, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I loved this hotel. the pool is rather small in real life, but just as charming as in the pictures. The concierge staff were friendly and very helpful to us, although I did see them talking nastily to two young children which I found really off putting. The room was very clean and good value for money. Our room overlooked the courtyard- Next time I'll ask for a better view. We found the location to be very convenient and would definitely stay here again. Also the decor is fresh and original.

Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Location is fabulous, few blocks from the Doumo. Really friendly Staff, Roberta was very kind and profesional but above all I noticed she is really sweet and playful with kids. The pool on the roof is a very nice treat after long walks on summer days. Breakfast is very good and thres plenty options for every taste, would gladly go back.

The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We just returned from a trip to Italy and stayed at the Grand Hotel Minerva for 3 nights. The location is perfect. As we arrived and departed by train, the 5 minute walk from the train station made it unnecessary to hire a taxi. You can't miss the hotel when you come around the corner of the church as it is well marked.The short walk was pleasant, even with the heat and luggage. This hotel is also within walking distance of all of the tourist sites. One of our tours left from "all the way across town" and it was a pleasant 20 minute walk. The staff was helpful wth maps, directions, etc.

We had three in our party, including a teenager. On arrival, we were taken to a family room on the 5th floor that overlooked the piazza and I must say it exceeded our expectations. The views out the windows included the entire piazza, the Santa Maria Novella church and the Duomo in the distance. Some reviews have complained about the noise in the piazza, but it didn't bother us at all. If you close the windows and the shutters it blocks out the light and most of the noise. The room had a king bed (OK actually two twins pushed together) plus a sofa bed that already had linens on it so it appeard to be a bed. Beds were all comfortable. The bathroom was HUGE with abundant marble, a nice walk in shower and separate tub with updated fixtures. Bathrobes and slippers were a nice finishing touch. The room had enough electrical outlets for us to re-charge all of our electronic devices at the same time (we found that rare in Italy!). The breakfast buffet was handy with a good selection of hot and cold foods. Plenty of space to eat and you could get in and out quickly.

I know many have mentioned the rooftop pool and bar, but there are also many small courtyards tucked away throughout the hotel that are accessible to guests if you are looking for something more private. There is a really nice one just off of the elevators (I think on the 4th floor). Complete with lounge chairs and an umbrella with views of rooftops.

I would recommend this hotel without reservation!

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We wanted to have a Florence hotel as a base for visiting Tuscany. It needed to be close to the centre of the old town so that all the visits to the Florence museums and churches could all be done within a few minutes walk. It needed to be in a quiet location away from traffic noise but also close to the railway/bus station to access the airport at Pisa and for visiting other notable Tuscan towns. It needed to outside or close to the edge of the controlled traffic zone so we could hire and garage a car without incurring extra charges and having to wind through tiny streets barely wide enough for a horse and cart. It needed to be clean, comfortable and ideally have a pool to cool down in the hot July afternoons. The Grand Hotel Minerva more than satisfied all these requirements. Evening visits to the pool on the roof terrace was a huge hit with our 12 year old daughter following sightseeing visits in Florence and further afield. The breakfast buffet was varied enough to suit all our various tastes and included in our stay. The bar next to the pool and the restaurant were expensive but I guess this is a quality hotel so you would expect that. There are so many places to eat and drink locally that this is not a problem. The Piazza Santa Maria Novella in a large but generally quiet square both day and night but is so close to the heart of Florence that it really is the perfect location.
We really enjoyed our week in Florence and this is in large part because we chose this hotel.